“Comfortable, clean, quite and a 5 minute walk to BC Place &Rogers Arena”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
Ranked #68 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Comfortable, clean, quite and a 5 minute walk to BC Place &Rogers Arena”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Awesome room and great staff. Considering there were mostly concert goers there the night we spent there we thought it would be party central but we didn't hear a thing. We'll definitly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank ScarletP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kelowna
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Amazing location, clean, professional staff -- They even cleared up a parking problem (got a ticket when I shouldn't have) without any issue. I can't say the same for the Moxies attached to it, though.

Will be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel after attending a concert at Rogers Arena. The location couldn't have been better — the hotel is a five-minute walk (or less) from the arena and also BC Place stadium.

Check-in was a bit slow — there was a lineup — but we have no real complaints about our stay.

We had requested a quiet room, and the room we got was indeed quiet. But our stay was mid-week and not during high season, so that may have made it easier for the hotel to accommodate our request.

Our room was in the "south tower." We had stayed at this hotel a couple of times a few years ago with our kids, but this was our first time in this part of the hotel. The decor in our room this time was newer and more up to date than in the rooms we'd had previously. I don't know if all the hotel rooms have been renovated recently or only the rooms in the south tower are newer.

Our bed was comfortable, but I would probably bring my pillow from home if I stay here again as the hotel pillows provided poor support.

Again, our stay wasn't during a weekend or in high season, which likely would have been more expensive, but we felt we got good value, especially as the price we paid included parking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stratusphunk
Okanagan
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Thought I would save myself 40 dollars and stay at this hotel instead of my usual choice, lesson learned the hard way! Arrived on Saturday for a concert at Rogers Arena. The location is perfect. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. Had to sign a noise waiver stating if I caused complaints I would be kicked out. Apparently everyone has to sign these..... that was a red flag for the type of people staying at this hotel. The elevators were slow and very small.... 5-6 people in total were able to fit in them, with no luggage. Did I mention they were SLOW! The line ups for the elevator were long. We located and took the stairs instead, fine once we didnt have our luggage with us. Our room was on the third floor and on first look, seemed clean enough. There was a smell but didnt really care at the time because we had a concert to get ready for. The music coming up through the floor from the bar directly below was not annoying at this time. Fast forward to 1am, concert is over and we head back to the hotel. The music is so loud coming up through the floor it might as well be in our room. Maybe they should make the BAR sign a waiver. Turned the lights out and crawled into bed.
Woke the next morning and prepared to pack up and leave. I tend to try to make a bed up even if I know that it is going to be changed, just a habit. I pulled the pillows off and saw a very large strange yellow stain on the sheet. Thought it was strange, saw the same color/size stain on the top sheet... an uneasy feeling creeped into my stomach, as my mind was coming up to the conclusion of what this was I couldnt help but lean over to smell it.... my mind screaming, the entire time, "You dont want to know! DONT do it!!" Yes, it was dried urine.... I am hoping of the pet variety!
After I scrubbed myself in a hot shower I called down to the desk to tell them of this.... They told me they would talk to the housekeeping manager and arange something at the front desk for my check out. I took pictures for proof and escaped the room.

My room rate was supposed to be $124.00CND with parking included, They knocked off a few bucks and I ended up paying $78.00 dollars to sleep in animal pee.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor! Pool level so lots of traffic in the halls, also above the bar if your on th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Godra76

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Sandman is in a great spot; just a few minutes away from the centre of Vancouver and a short walk to the nearby Sky Train station at Chinatown. We found the hotel staff very helpful on arrival and when we had questions during the stay. However, on check-out we had a considerable wait to collect a bag from their storage room because the front desk was understaffed while a large group arrived. The room was spacious and we had no noise problems, though the staff forewarned us it might occur as it was a match night. We ate on two occasions in the attached restaurant and had an excellent meal each time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Well situated hotel close to Stadium Chinatown and City Centre (direct link to Vancouver Airport) Sky Train stations.

Our room was on the 7th floor at the rear of the hotel and was comfortable enough. however it was only partly double glazed. As such, we could clearly hear every truck, van, refuse truck and horn from street level making sure we were woken between 6:30 and 7am every morning.

We found the free wi-fi signal to be poor. We tried to access the Vancouver visitors choice web site both in the morning and in the evening and on each occasion it failed to load.

If possible try to avoid being in the hotel when the Canucks are playing - the whole hotel is taken over, including the restaurant, by travelling fans. You even need to join a queue to get onto one of the two available lifts!

The pool was also closed for maintenance work from the 4th day of our trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

On arrival reception staff could not have been any more helpful than they were. I had fractured my foot prior to our trip and they upgraded us to a large room with two king size beds to give us extra room. We stayed here for 7 nights and can report that the room was cleaned daily with sheets changed every other day, toiletries and towels were exchanged or replenished daily. Food in Moxies is fabulous and highly recommended. Whilst we were there the Canucks had two home games and the hotel was busy but what do people expect. It created a great atmosphere and coming from the UK it only highlighted the passion of the sport and we too watched many a game in the bar. Some people just moan about anything and we are well travelled and as a rule only stay in 4/5 star establishments but I can truthfully say that when we return to Vancouver this would be the hotel of choice. It's fab.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple