“PEE BED! SLOW ELEVATORS!”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
Ranked #71 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Thought I would save myself 40 dollars and stay at this hotel instead of my usual choice, lesson learned the hard way! Arrived on Saturday for a concert at Rogers Arena. The location is perfect. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. Had to sign a noise waiver stating if I caused complaints I would be kicked out. Apparently everyone has to sign these..... that was a red flag for the type of people staying at this hotel. The elevators were slow and very small.... 5-6 people in total were able to fit in them, with no luggage. Did I mention they were SLOW! The line ups for the elevator were long. We located and took the stairs instead, fine once we didnt have our luggage with us. Our room was on the third floor and on first look, seemed clean enough. There was a smell but didnt really care at the time because we had a concert to get ready for. The music coming up through the floor from the bar directly below was not annoying at this time. Fast forward to 1am, concert is over and we head back to the hotel. The music is so loud coming up through the floor it might as well be in our room. Maybe they should make the BAR sign a waiver. Turned the lights out and crawled into bed.
Woke the next morning and prepared to pack up and leave. I tend to try to make a bed up even if I know that it is going to be changed, just a habit. I pulled the pillows off and saw a very large strange yellow stain on the sheet. Thought it was strange, saw the same color/size stain on the top sheet... an uneasy feeling creeped into my stomach, as my mind was coming up to the conclusion of what this was I couldnt help but lean over to smell it.... my mind screaming, the entire time, "You dont want to know! DONT do it!!" Yes, it was dried urine.... I am hoping of the pet variety!
After I scrubbed myself in a hot shower I called down to the desk to tell them of this.... They told me they would talk to the housekeeping manager and arange something at the front desk for my check out. I took pictures for proof and escaped the room.

My room rate was supposed to be $124.00CND with parking included, They knocked off a few bucks and I ended up paying $78.00 dollars to sleep in animal pee.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor! Pool level so lots of traffic in the halls, also above the bar if your on th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Godra76
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Sandman is in a great spot; just a few minutes away from the centre of Vancouver and a short walk to the nearby Sky Train station at Chinatown. We found the hotel staff very helpful on arrival and when we had questions during the stay. However, on check-out we had a considerable wait to collect a bag from their storage room because the front desk was understaffed while a large group arrived. The room was spacious and we had no noise problems, though the staff forewarned us it might occur as it was a match night. We ate on two occasions in the attached restaurant and had an excellent meal each time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Well situated hotel close to Stadium Chinatown and City Centre (direct link to Vancouver Airport) Sky Train stations.

Our room was on the 7th floor at the rear of the hotel and was comfortable enough. however it was only partly double glazed. As such, we could clearly hear every truck, van, refuse truck and horn from street level making sure we were woken between 6:30 and 7am every morning.

We found the free wi-fi signal to be poor. We tried to access the Vancouver visitors choice web site both in the morning and in the evening and on each occasion it failed to load.

If possible try to avoid being in the hotel when the Canucks are playing - the whole hotel is taken over, including the restaurant, by travelling fans. You even need to join a queue to get onto one of the two available lifts!

The pool was also closed for maintenance work from the 4th day of our trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2013

On arrival reception staff could not have been any more helpful than they were. I had fractured my foot prior to our trip and they upgraded us to a large room with two king size beds to give us extra room. We stayed here for 7 nights and can report that the room was cleaned daily with sheets changed every other day, toiletries and towels were exchanged or replenished daily. Food in Moxies is fabulous and highly recommended. Whilst we were there the Canucks had two home games and the hotel was busy but what do people expect. It created a great atmosphere and coming from the UK it only highlighted the passion of the sport and we too watched many a game in the bar. Some people just moan about anything and we are well travelled and as a rule only stay in 4/5 star establishments but I can truthfully say that when we return to Vancouver this would be the hotel of choice. It's fab.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the place to be if you are attending a concert, hockey game or other event at the arena next door. The Shark Club and Moxies have a great night life scene before and after the events. The hotel has been recently renovated and updated, nice improvements, but the rooms are still very small and dark. We chose this hotel for the location and the price, as we booked on a great price before the hockey season started up again.

Their website made no mention that the pool would be closed during our stay so that was a disappointment to find out on arrival.

During our stay i unfortunately got very ill and had to be taken to hospital by ambulance. The hotel staff didn't even blink an eye to assist us after my husband called them to advise of the ambulance coming. Not one person showed any concern as I was carted out, or called to inquire the following day to see if we were ok after i spent the entire night at the hospital. Upon return from hospital, we asked if we could rewatch the movie that was rented the night before for no charge (it wouldn't allow us to pause it when i became ill so it kept running the whole time) they wouldn't even do the courteousy of waiving the rental fee so we could rewatch the movie we had paid $20 for.

Parking was pre paid in our room, but even with a small SUV it was extremely difficult to find a spot in their underground parkade, especially one that was wide enough to actually be able to get out of your vehicle. The parkade is well secured though which is important in downtown for preventing theft.

So overall our stay was disappointing and customer service was really poor. Spend the extra money and stay somewhere that has nicer rooms and customer service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My sister and I stayed in this hotel and really liked the location, service, and the room. The views are gorgeous, the room was clean and tidy, and lobby was inviting and comfortable. We did not have a car and did not use parking. You can walk everywhere from this hotel and feel very safe.

Room Tip: Aks for a higher floor for killer views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I prebooked our room, with notice that we would be coming from another province and quoted the other persons name that we all wanted our rooms together. Well we did get the end room with a corner, only to learned the next day, that they where put on four floors up, near the elevator and ice machine. The elevator is extremely slow.
On arrival, I wasn't sure if the the guy behind the desk, was serious about the three calls, on noise that you would be evicted and they have sercurity. Until I landed on the floor and people where constantly going back and forth down the hallway.
We had a lovely corner room, way to dark for getting ready, the lighting needs to be improved and the set up for girls to get ready doesn't make it easy. Our toilet kept running and I had to keep lifting the lid to pull the white chain to make it stop,the water wasn't very hot either. The plaster on the ceiling in the shower needs some work. They did have extra towels, but we only learned that they are put in the bottom drawers near the desk. Housekeeping brought us fresh towels when we left for the day. (This was a long weekend, reading week for many provinces, a Hockey game was on the night we arrived and they lost and the city was busy).

Room Tip: No mention of spa or breakfast, many restaurants near this location. Bring earplugs for packup.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends