“Horrible experience”

Ranked #68 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Montreal, Canada
“Horrible experience”
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I am happy not to be the one who picked this hotel. My stay there was horrible. If only I picked a hotel to stay in Vancouver i would havennt stayed there. The place was old,dated,ugly,unpleasant. The free wi fi was so slow you could barely load a page in a minute. The restaurant there had terrible food, do not eat there !

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank HG56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights in November 2012. The room was adequate and filled our needs. The main thing for us was being close to Rogers Arena and the city center, which we were. The location was excellent.

The only downside was the parking, both the fee and parking garage itself. During events at the nearby venues it became filled with cars, despite the fact that we payed for the whole stay at check-in. We hade to drive round for hours before they found us a spot at some reserved parking for some other company. Weren't too happy about that and the first response wasn't very helpful, even though they in the end solved it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vinceremo
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Check in was ok, staff were reasonably helpful. Getting up to the room and down to the lobby could take time as there were only 2 small lifts and there was often a queue. Our room was large and on the corner so we had great views over the city. The bathroom was compact but had everything that is needed and was very clean. It was a good base to explore Vancouver.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Check in - front desk girl (Jin) was very disinterested, and was apparently uneducated with regard to the hotel's service fees and she couldn't answer for us why hotel guests are charged more for parking (see below)

Parking - It is $20 for the general public to use to the Sandman's public parkade. If you are a guest at the hotel, it's $24 to park in the same parkade, behind a gate.

Room - tiny, dark, hot, and old. I'm 5'4" and 110 lbs, and I was sweating like a polar bear in Vegas, even with the window open (in DECEMBER) and the heat turned as low as it would allow us to go. The comforter, I'm sure, had been there longer than I've been alive.

Bathroom - again, very tiny. A filthy, discoloured no-slip mat was curled in the corner of the tub. We booked a room for TWO people, but were provided with only ONE body-size towel (towel issues seem to be a real theme in these reviews). I unravelled the towel that we had yet to use, only to find tangled with it, very long, black hairs (my guest and I both have short, very blonde hair). That towel, and all the rest of the hand towels and cloths where also noted, prior to use, to be stained brown, yellow, and pink. Gross.

Proximity to ammenities - fantastic. Walking distance to all the good stuff.

Check out - quick and easy. The gentleman at the counter (Aaron H) was actually very friendly and helpful.

Other comments - the hotel stunk. No idea what the funky smell was, and I think I'd prefer not to know. It's very loud, you hear all your neighbours.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for washed towels. Enough for the number of people you're staying with.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JayGirl_L

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Chemainus, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We booked for one night recently at this hotel because it was located close to Rogers Arena. The location can't be beat about a block and a half away. Check in was very easy as we had done a prepaid thru the internet. The room itself looked a little worn but nothing to worry about or cause concern. The beds were comfortable. Coffee maker in room etc. Went to the Shark Club after the concert and had some drinks and appies, had a good time.
The bathroom was a different story, paint was peeling on the ceiling, the towel rack was just barely hanging onto the wall, there was a couple of spots of what looked like mould around the tub and shower. The toilet barely flushed and made one heck of a racket (the next door neighbours sounded the same way, we heard it thru the walls) when it finally did.
I don't know which area of the hotel we stayed in, it was definitely not a renovated area. I would stay again but only overnight and the only reason is because of the location to Rogers Arena and B.C. Place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed December 2, 2012

we had a nice, very clean and cosy room during our stay. Heater in the room, kettle and coffeepot - all was available. the hotel has a great location - in the center of Vancouver. Breakfast was not included but we had a tasy breakfast in the restaraunt on the second floor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This property gets an average rating based only on the great location for concerts and sporting events. You really can't beat it for location. But, it kind of goes downhill after that. Clearly this is an older property that hasn't undergone recent major renovations...at least not in the North tower. Not exactly sure where the "corporate tower" is, or if it would be any better.

One of the most disappointing aspects of our stay was the small and very slow elevators. There was always a line up, and on a few occasions so many people crammed into the tiny elevators that it was quite uncomfortable. It doesn't help that they don't have a service elevator for the staff to use, which means that the already super tiny elevators are reduced to half capacity when a big laundry bin or something is also in there. After a big event you have to wait forever or resort to the stairs. Not that easy taking the stairs if you are on the higher floors!

The standard rooms are small and the bathroom was very tight. Windows really need to be changed out...they are very old, and were so full of condensation that we couldn't enjoy what was otherwise a decent view. There were a few mainenence issues that needed to be attended to in the room as well...slow drain in the bathtub, bedside table that was not level and the drawer wouldn't stay closed, noisy heater fan, and dirty drapes.

There are only ice machines on a few floors...and the one closest to our floor was out of order. Given the elevator was so slow, I had to use the stairs to get ice.

Front desk service was OK at check in, but after that it went downhill. I appreciate they were busy with a couple big events, but I figure a hotel should always be prepared for a full house. It wasn't like it was a surprize. I opted for the "express check out" and I am still waiting to get my receipt in the mail after a week. The room was supposed to be a pre-paid rate, but apparently my CC wasn't charged at booking (like I expected based on the online reservation confirmation). Frankly I have no clue what was charged to my CC and when. They really need to sort that process out. They may also want to have a drop box at the front desk for those who wish to use the express check out. I didn't see anything like that, and given there was a big line up at the front desk when I was leaving, I just placed my keys and info on the side counter. Really, anyone could have picked that up.

Overall I think they have a potentially great property. They need some upgrades for sure. The elevator issue alone is a big enough turn off that I may never stay there again. But if you are looking for a fairly cheap, no frills downtown hotel close to the concert venues, this may be the place for you.

Room Tip: If you are not into waiting a long time for elevators, and are fit enough to take the stairs, opt fo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family