“Grand at a not so grand price!”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
Ranked #71 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I was pleasantley suprised at the Sandman City Centre Hotel. I wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it was! We were travelling with a large group who were attending a conference in downtown Vancouver and it was perfect. I have to stay they really impressed me! The lobby was well done with grand chandeliers, fabulouse decor, and great staff. The rooms were a good size and very clean and up to date! The beds were comfortable and the decor was great. The flat screen tv's were a nice touch. It definetley fit the high class Vancouver style!

Room Tip: As far as I am concerned you can't go wrong with the rooms you choose!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here years ago when we won the accommondation. This time we got a double room for $99 as we were going to a concert at Rogers arena. It is located an easy walk of 2 blocks to either Rogers or BC Place.
Check in was smooth and since we had a large truck the parking attendants let us park in valet temporarily until we checked in then directed us into the correct lot for over height. $15 to park which is standard in downtown Vancouver.
The room was clean though alittle run down, broken shelf in bathroom and poorly renovated and not enough towels for 3 people. We did find 2 pool towels in the dresser.
As the kids wanted to swim before the concert(we were traveling with 3 others) we headed down to the pool. Good thing we read the directions as its confusing to find. We arrived to a big disappointment. The pool was fine, very deep in fact though the kids are teens, but the hot tub was cordoned off and under construction. Would have been nice to have known prior by a sign at the desk or in room. There is also no seating to watch the kids, had to sit on the stairs. This could do with improving.
The elevators are extremely slow, and as we were on the 9th floor stairs were only an option going down. Waited 3 to return home after the concert as this hotel is one of the top choices for its location. In fact you have to sign a waiver on event nights for complaints and damage. Our only noise complaint was the stairwell door slamming shut, as there was no ice machine on our floor so people used the stairs to go up to the empty ice machine. The 7th floor had a working one.
Beds were comfy and we were able to leave our truck till 2 pm though we left earlier.
This hotel offered free wifi slow but at least it was free!!!! No free breakfast though. The restaurants were a bit pricy so we drove to a restaurant for brunch instead.
The pros outweighs the cons so I would still come back here if going to concerts or hockey games but elsewhere if I'm in Vancouver otherwise.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I do in fact like to stay at Sandman Downtown Vancouver as convenient BUT that being said the last 2 of 3 stays there the hot tub was under maintenance and shut down each time and after a very long stressful trip to Van cause of terrible roads etc it was the first thing I wanted to use but not available. And when you write the hotel I do expect any type of return message but NADA. That does not agree with me a lot and makes me think. And in the am is it too much trouble to have a hot shower or bath without it being just luke warm? That was also disappointing.

Room Tip: Do not be duped...read reviews!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed at the Sandman to attend a Vancouver Canucks game, ended up turning into a weekend getaway in Vancouver.

Sandman is the perfect location if you're going to a hockey game or football game, both BC Place and Rogers Arena are steps away. Lots of places to eat, shopping is nearby, and lots to check out pedestrian style.

We stayed in a Standard Queen room, ended up on the 12th floor. I liked the high floor, had a nice view of the surrounding towers and city, and also the newly re-done BC Place lights are nice at night. Room was comfortable and clean, LCD TV was nice (although this is almost standard fare nowadays). It could've used a couple extra towels and the bathroom vanity did not have much room for toiletries, but these are small quibbles. The main thing that was not fun was the thermostat for the room didn't work. There was an auxiliary heater in the room (I guess for that purpose?), but still made it difficult to regulate the temperature in the room. Figured it wasn't worth trying to ask for a different room as we knew they were sold out for the game anyways.

Other than that, a comfortable stay. Front desk staff was very helpful and courteous, it felt like they were really listening to you and not just going through the motions.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2012

With its proximity to Rogers arena and Queen Elizabeth Theatre, the Sandman is in the perfect location. Room rates very decent - $109 gets you a basic room with a bed. Good for an overnight when attending an event. A little more $ might get you larger quarters. It's right on the corner of Cambie and Georgia so can't be missed. Parking is secured underground for $15 - cheaper than any of the event parking costs. Elevators are also secure using your room pass. Decor is updated. Bathroom (toilet and tub) is very small and hard to close the door. Vanity/sink is separate, which I like. Check-in was very easy. On arrival the noise from the bar can seem boisterous with hockey fans. But upstairs I heard not a peep from my 6th floor room and you wouldn't know you were right downtown. My only complaint was it was hard to get a hot shower. It took a long time for the water to heat up and even when it did it was only warm.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I was in Vancouver for business reasons and this hotel was one of the options that I was given to stay at. A colleague had stayed here previously so I felt comfortable going with a hotel I at least knew someone had previously stayed at. It is very well located, I walked to where I needed to go everyday, which was nice actually, it gave me a chance to see some sights before staring my day! The room was clean and comfortable and offered all of the amenities that most hotels offer. I was there for quite a few days, it even went into the weekend; this was quite noisy as a lot of people were coming in to Vancouver to go out over the weekend and well the walls are a little thin, you heard people barreling up and down the halls and in their rooms. During the week it was much quieter at night - more of a business crowd I guess! The restaurant attached to the hotel was Moxies, I ordered room service from them a couple of times and was not disappointed, the food was good and really fresh. They are attached to a gym, it's an 8$ charge every time you want to use it. I went once but did not feel very welcomed by the gym staff - I assume that since I was not a member they just brushed me off, but if this is offered by the hotel as a service then they should be more accommodating. The hotel felt very secure, as you needed your room key to access any of the hotel floors with the elevator. I would stay here again, it was nothing fancy but you got what you paid for and it was clean.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mtl_sweetheart
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The Hotel is right Downtown. You can walk to most tourist locations. The Sky train and city buses are close by for other locations. Room was good. We were upgraded to a double Queen on arrival. Security was good as you needed a room key to use elevator.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family