“Anything you want for a vegan and gluten-free diet”
Review of Shizenya on Hornby

Shizenya on Hornby
Ranked #102 of 3,947 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Granville Street
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Ok so i was a little worried when my friend wanted to come here for dinner, i had a look at the menu and they were basically catered to people who are on Vegan and Gluten-free diet (thats just my own opinion). But the food actually turned out really good! This restaurant knows how to use certain ingredients and make it into a really delicious dishes of sushi or salad. Say example, we ordered a quinoa tofu wrap and it tasted really good. Salad was good too but they were a little stingy about wasabi and mayonnaise. Have to ask them so that you can get extra portion. The service was good, no complain and i can tell that the quality of the ingredients is definitely very fresh. The only thing I have to say is the price of the dishes, it is not the cheapest sushi around Downtown Vancouver. Its more of like "splurge it" thing once in a while. I will recommend my friends to go to this restaurant (if they have too much money to spare!).

One thing to note is they dont take booking, its a walk-in first come first serve in this restaurant so be there early.
If you think my reviews have been helpful to you, please click 'Yes' for 'Was this review helpful?'

1  Thank TravelQueenie365

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Japanese is not my favorite type of food, so it has to be extraordinary for me to rave about it. I loved my meal at Shizen Ya! The taste was great and the ingredients were of great quality. Loved the brown rice and all the organic options…and the organic beer too! Prices were reasonable and service was polite and efficient.

1  Thank IlariaK
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Love this place! Lots of healthy/organic options, including brown rice, no additives, msg free, and is vegetarian friendly to top it off.

Tuna and salmon/avocado rolls are a fresh tasty treat.

And just a heads up, It is tiny and can get really busy – but seems to have a fairly quick turnaround time.

3  Thank kari l
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Had a late lunch here with my sister at the Broadway and Spruce location. A rather small space but clean and comfortable. I am certainly no expert on Japanese food but I know what I like and the meal I had at Shizen Ya was lovely. The menu has photographs of many of the selections, which is a good thing for someone like me who has extremely limited experience with Japanese cuisine. There were a remarkably large number of items to select from. As a vegetarian I certainly did not suffer from a lack of choices. I had the organic vegetarian sushi, a quinoa dish and a bowl of soup. All were very tasty. We had green tea with our meal and the server was very attentive in refilling our cups during our meal. In total we had six dishes and paid roughly $24 for the entire meal. I would happily eat here again.

3  Thank geoboy89
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We came here on a recommendation from a friend as well as TA rating and were not disappointed. Their sashimi melts in your mouth and their sushi is also very fresh and flavourful! The service was friendly and fast. Even though we are only in Vancouver for 6 days, we will be back to eat here again.

3  Thank Travelbag2013