“Hawksworth, Worth Hucking...”

Hawksworth Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Hawksworth Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 3,778 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Howe Street
Transit: Bus Stops are located on Howe Street and on Georgia. We are also located one block west of the City Centre Canada line station.
Description: A celebration of Vancouver’s cultural diversity and natural environment Hawksworth Restaurant showcases ingredient led, contemporary cuisine that demonstrates the highly skilled technique and relentless drive for perfection that has become Chef David Hawksworth’s trademark.Glamorous and elegant, yet relaxed and welcoming with warm and attentive service, Hawksworth Restaurant is located in the heart of the city at Georgia and Howe Streets within the legendary Rosewood Hotel Georgia.Open for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner, with in bar dining menus and its own private room, Hawksworth can deliver an array of dining experiences from power breakfasts to after-work drinks, to formal gala events.
New York City, New York
“Hawksworth, Worth Hucking...”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Spent the first few minutes quarreling with the wine-steward about stuffing a magnum of wine into a decanter fit for just a single bottle. "Oh it will fit, you'd be surprised what it will take" chimes the sommelier - Then the wine doesn't fit and a second decanter is needed. Bush-league amateur hour in plain view of 10 guests - and then ambivalence and lack of service after proven wrong by his guest.

Located in the Hotel Georgia, how can this signature restaurant be so heartbreakingly terrible? Easy. First do something great: Take a lease in the number one hotel in the city. Next, decorate it with a great panache/style, very similar to the Connaught hotel's bar or Fortnum & Mason in London. Then, to put the poison in the well - hire a group of staff that takes its clients for granted and serves food (on the Saturday we attended) which is so painfully average that it tastes worse than you thought against the backdrop of such great decor and style. It was like going from freezing cold, to boiling hot.

I could not believe how bad each dish was, from our under-portioned appetizers (and mains) to fatty, sloppily presented dishes. I have 15% body fat, was positively starving for a bigger portion and was sad to see smears of coulis made to splatter by hasty handling. Steaks which were overcooked and pastries which were better at a main-street pasty shop. When my friend (the multimillionaire hotel guest paying the bill tonight) asked for another of the macroons that he enjoyed, he was informed that he would have to place another order of desert - "THEY (presumably the kitchen) were very rigid in their philosophy of partitioning". Apparently the customer is ‘wrong’ here. There was no love.. it was a ‘factory’ moment.

I like this hotel so much and liked the decor of the restaurant so much that writing this review about the underwhelming staff and average food, genuinely made me sad. :( That said, I'm glad for sites like tripadvisor so that I can forewarn others of the potential misery which lays ahead.

Suggestions to management:

A) Change some of your staff staff.. If they can't step it up without taking constructive comments better they need to go - like now.
B) Serve bigger portions .. it's easy.. just charge more.. I came halfway around the planet to eat here and am not going to complain about paying 20 canadian dollars more for my meal - but I am going to complain about your stingy portions which make me wish I never came through the door.

7 Thank theLuckiestGuy

San Jose, CA
“Splendid”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The combination of a stunning decor, flawless service and great food made for a wonderful experience at Hawksworth. The place is absolutely beautiful: crystal, dark wood, white leather. Loved the food - beef and duck were perfect, and it's nice to find well prepared sweetbreads on this side of the Atlantic. I loved little details like finding my favorite Luxardo cherries in a Manhattan. And there were some very interesting and well-priced finds on the winelist. Only the macarons were just ok. Would most definitely return and order a different desert.

Vancouver, Canada
“Incredible room and Service, but falls a little short with the meal”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Visited for brunch after we had heard about the remarkable art and food at the Hotel Georgia. The Hotel and restaurant are stunning. Old world glamor combining with modern design. Ordered the Hawksworth burger and the crab Benedict. The burger itself was very juicy and moist and the presentation was incredible. However, it came with a strong barbecue sauce that dulled the other flavors. On the other hand the crab benny was succulent, and buttery...hitting all the right notes. For dessert the chocolate mousse with passion-fruit was amazing. There were some real highs with this meal, but I think there is some real room for improvement. Service itself was flawless. Will we return? Yes.. the service, ambiance and potential for food deserve another visit.

Sidney, Canada
“The noise and service drove us away.”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We had reservations to celebrate a special birthday dinner and went with great anticipation since the media had highly touted the Hawksworth as the newly minted BEST restaurant in Vancouver. We found our reception to be not only slow but rather lack-luster. The space between the tables was so tight that your neighbouring table might as well have been included as one table. Finally, the noise level was distracting and annoying. It was the final straw before we advised the waiter, after he finally arrived to take our order some 20 minutes later that , regretfully, we were leaving.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank Fair-by-nature
Vancouver, Canada
“Loved the 'new kid on the block'”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Four of us were celebrating and decided to try the 'new kid on the block'. Requested and got a window table which was interesting, especially for our visitor from Dallas. From beginning to end, the evening was everything we were hoping for . . . exemplary service (and not snooty), awesome food and wine. The tuna carpaccio was the best I've ever had . . . and believe me, I try it at every restaurant that has it on its menu. The sommelier was knowledgeable and chose the perfect sangiovese to go with our very tasty meat selections. I found the appetizer selections a bit on the high $ side, but the entrees prices were completely in line with other restaurants of its calibre (actually quite a bit less). I can't wait to return. This is now my 'go to' restaurant when we have visitors from out of town and want to show off Vancouver's culinary talents.

• Visited September 2011