“Ensemble Revisited”

Cuisines: French, American, Contemporary
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West End
Cross street: Smithe
Description: Ensemble is a contemporary French restaurant in downtown Vancouver. Specializing in shared plate dining, a welcoming bar and energetic professional service. Top Chef Candidate Dale Mackay heads up his culinary team that will deliver an amazing dining experience.
Eastsound, WA, USA
“Ensemble Revisited”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

On July 5th we returned to Ensemble hoping to recreate our very positive over-the-top visit in July of 2011. Were we disappointed. That year, the food and the service was the best - the restaurant was crowded and noisy but that was ignored due to the creative, excellent dishes. This year we entered at 7pm to a restaurant not half full. We were seated and given menus but after a more than 10 minute wait, we flagged the manager and asked if we could place a drink order. We ordered bread but it did not come until our appetizers arrived. We had to ask where our second order of drinks were as they were so delayed. I asked for a steak knife for my hanger steak (I actually had no cutlery) but when one never came and our waitress was nowhere, we asked another server for one. Our food was very good although one person in our party felt the portion was very small for the price. Having eaten in many fine restaurants in San Francisco, and Vancouver has an equally great culinary scene, there are just too many good food places with top notch service too. The service is killing this restaurant. Wonder if they will wake up before it's too late?

• Visited July 2012

Vancouver Canada
“Ensemble Tap, nice, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Nice clean tap house, impressive beer selection. Enjoyed my lunch (steak and eggs). Friendly but slow service. Asked for some hot sauce for my eggs and to my great surprise I was charged .50 cents for it. Now .50 cents is no big deal to me, but in all my years of eating out, I have never been charged for condiments. I understand that profit margins are low in the food and beverage business, but come on Chef! Kind of ruined the whole experience.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Delicious fresh flavours and excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

We recently dined at Ensemble and enjoyed the wonderfully fresh flavours of the exquisitely prepared food. Excellent service both by our waiter, and the restaurant manager, Kevin. When I emailed from my home Australia asking whether I had left my jacket at the restaurant, it was promptly parcelled up and sent home to me. Fuss free and courteous service. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2012
Manila, Philippines
“Top Chef indeed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

The menus are imaginative but not out of this world. I can see why the chef won Top Chef Canada and would happily eat the 5-spice cod again and again. The pavlova with orange cardamon too. Hurry up because the selections are seasonal.

Visited June 2012
Overland Park,KS
“Ensemble Tap was a treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Went to Ensembel Tap and tried their fabulous pulled pok sandwich . To those from the USA more of a North Carlolina stly of barbecue with a twist. They use fresh horseradish in the coleslaw which gives a great flavor . Not spicy though, I could had used more horseradish. I am not a beer drinker but did enjoy the Red Truck Ale and was pleasantly surprised, very good. Fun bar atmosphere and would recommend this to anyone wanting a delicious and unique lunch.

Visited June 2012