“Expensive for what it is.”

HR Macmillan Space Centre
Ranked #125 of 356 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Multi-media astronomy shows in the Planetarium Star Theatre are enhanced by 20-minute live demonstrations in the GroundStation Canada Theatre that keep you up-to-date on the latest space news. The Cosmic Courtyard ehibit gallery contains a real piece of moon rock you can actually touch, a J-2 Rocket Engine, artifacts and simulations. On Saturday nights you can visit the Gordon MacMillan Southam Observatory right next door and, if the skies are clear, you can see stars and maybe even a planet through the .5 metre Cassegrain telescope.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stopped off with two teenagers from the trolley tour. At $53 for the family I was expecting a bit more, as stated on here the exhibits are dated and a number of them do not work. The shows are good but the downstairs exhibit was more for young children. The upstairs show going over the solar system was very good and gets you thinking.

1  Thank Andy B
There are newer reviews for HR Macmillan Space Centre

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Lots of toys to play with and you can even get your pic taken in a space suit! The lectures are informative and the lecturer is very good a funny. Fun experiments are done in the lectures. Well worth a visit!

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

All I really want to say is "terrible" but that makes it better that in really is. If ever a place should be closed down then this is it. No wonder the person taking my dollars looked totally non plussed! Do anything to occupy your time but don't go here!

1  Thank Robintaylor1
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I was expecting to see more of a museum than anything else here, so I was a bit taken aback when I arrived and it was basically all shows in their experiment stage and planetarium. The planetarium shows were great, very interesting, but I found the experiment shows geared towards young children. The Age 12+ shows were the only ones I enjoyed. The others were too...simplistic and childish.

However, there was a small exhibit that was museum-esque. I found that area of the space centre very interesting!

If you're a young adult or adult who is interested in space, I'd recommend going to one of their weekend showings in the planetarium focused on the universe as opposed to the daytime shows. Besides, there are a lot of schools and camps who visit the centre during the day, and I would have enjoyed my experience more had I not been surrounded by very small children.

If you're a family with younger children (under 12, I'd say) then this is a great place for a visit.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This museum seems like a relic from yesteryear. The exhibits are a bit dated, and some of them weren't working. We thought it was quite expensive for what it was. It seems like a museum that is run on a shoe-string budget and the determination of volunteers.

But the planetarium show was fascinating in it's own pedantic way. Very interesting subject matter and a dark space that collide to induce sleepiness (I mean that in a nice way).

The "Day In Space Show" was neat and it's cute that they've in effect "taped" Chris Hadfield's name to the title of the show to give it some 21st century cachet.

If not for the relatively high cost of admission, I would have rated this spot higher. And then we got home and found a "free admission" coupon in with our rental car agreement. Damn, coulda saved $18!

1  Thank Cottagergirl