“Great oysters but service could be better...”

No photo provided
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Pender Street
Transit: Waterfront Station for both Canada Line and Skytrain Station.
Description: Vancouver’s financial district raw bar and seafood restaurant. We are all about sustainable seafood with local ingredients and the freshest oyster's in town.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Likes
- small intimate oyster bar
- great drinks and oysters - can't beat $1 per oyster during happy hour

Dislikes
- service was so-so

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Amazing little room, tucked at the back of an ornate old-school vancouver office building lobby. Dark, intimate, and simply about drinks and oysters. Not always a great selection, but if you want some oysters and a glass of wine or a martini before heading off to dinner elsewhere, it's hard to beat their buck a shuck happy hour. Service was a bit slow given that there was only one pretty Russian girl shucking the night we were there, but if you're willing to take your time and just enjoy this elegant hole in the wall, it sure beats paying through the nose at Rodney's.

We did this as a pre-cursor to L'Abbatoir and it was an amazing night. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Here's the deal: Great city. Great location. Excellent food. The service is horrifying. The place is so small it wouldn't make economic sense to hire a "staff." So...they didn't. Thus, terrible service.
PS...did I mention the oysters were terrific after about an hour's wait?

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This gem is located in the heart of the financial district in the financial district near to the cruise ship terminals.

We visited Oyster this weekend and had a slightly negative service experience. I call two days later and left a voicemail detailing my problems. To my delight I received a telephone call from the restaurant owner (Jeremy) soon after I left the message. Jeremy handled the situation superbly and restored my confidence in his restaurant.

I will return!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stumbled across this place last week while with a friend of mine. We walked into a tiny room with cool decor; dimly lit yet not at all feeling congested despite its smallness. At first blush, we both turned to each other and said, "Wow! We've finally found our new place where we can come to just get away."

Unfortunately, the experience thereafter was all downhill.

We ordered oysters -- naturally, being an "oyster seafood" place we assumed that the one proficiency they would have is oysters. We assumed wrongly.

You should know that menu choices are very limited when it comes to oysters. They only had 2 varieties when we arrived. Really? At an oyster place?

With little selection, we received our first order - they had a slight odor that seemed 'off'. The second order was even worse, with a creamy texture that didn't belong.

The condiments with the oysters are creative, although perhaps --- again --- being an oyster bar, one would expect more to choose from by way of accouterments.

The service is good. And, the room is a great escape from the outside world. The lack of windows can be claustrophobic, but the high ceilings make things open enough to feel relaxed.

Needless to say, we decided to exit --- quickly.

Lastly, I know they offer the 'buck-a-shuck' deal and low-priced highballs from 3-7PM; ignore the 'value' of the cheap oysters and focus on whether or not they taste right.

Of course, it's entirely possible that we went on a day when the place was having issues, but my suggestion? If you need a place to go where it's quiet, out of the way, and absent the typical crowd, then slip inside, order a drink and avoid the oysters.