“Bad Location, Poor Service, and we got sick!”
Review of Au Petit Chavignol - CLOSED

Au Petit Chavignol
Cuisines: French
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife decided to surprise me with a new venue. We made reservations as some type of special was going on. I was amazed at the pricing for the cheese plate....$47.50. After waiting about 10 min. I had to ask one of the waitresses for beverages while we waited to order. We sat at the bar and noticed many people trying to get the attention of their wait staff, they didn't have a bartender or even an assistant to the waiting staff. The waiting staff had to pour there own drinks, clear the tables and rest, and well do everything themselves. The food was tasted good, but the cookies for desert tasted like store bought cookies reheated....to top it off we both threw up in the morning and are in bed right now with sick stomachs....we won't return...

Reviewed December 4, 2012

4 of my girlfriends and I decided to try this restaurant because they all love wine and cheese. I parked to the small ally beside the restaurant and thinking that it is so close that it is fine to walk to the restaurant from there. However, there were a few homeless people trying to get money and smokes from me. So I walked back to my car and tried to find a spot infront of the restaurant instead. The location is definitely terrible because the whole street look so tacky. There are so many homeless people and drugies along the street. If I am going to go to this restaurant I would prefer going there in the day time(for lunch).The food was okay, not that bad. I do like the french onion soup there. The cheese platter was alright, not the best one I had. Service there was okay as well, not too friendly. Everything seems pretty average. So I don't think I would go to this restaurant again.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Went here for lunch they had an awesome cheese fondue the service was great and really enjoyed the wine pairing.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

If there is one place a visitor to this city should check out, it's this restaurant. Off the beaten path with amazing staff and food to die for, I could not recommend this place enough. For a true twist on Food Canadianna style, you have to try the Short-Rib Poutine. Awesome!

Great for both Dinner and Brunch!

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Date night at last!

9 PM on a cold rainy Friday, two empty tables, bar was full, but we'd made reservations. Crowd seemed to be a contrast heavily weighted to "young things" starting their night out and couples on dates. Most people seemed to be drinking beer. Generous seating, while being close to the adjacent tables, private conversation still mostly possible.

Wait staff spent time going over the multiple menu options and confirming the daily specials. Took us awhile to come to an agreement. Settled on a 3 course daily special for him (Salad, Pork Belly and Lentils, Cookies) and a fondue for me. This was preceded by a 3 charcuterie and 3 cheese tasting platter. Get the house pate with pistachios, it doesn't jump up and down and scream pate, but it is unctuous and hits all the right notes. Apparently also addictive.

Serving sizes were fine, the small fondue is enough to share with plenty of bread and offers of refills. The 3 course special appeared small when presented, but really, you can only eat so much porkbelly.

Desert was fabulous, warm chocolate cookies and one of the richest creme brulees I've ever had. No jiggle, just thick creaminess with the perfect crunch. Exactly right.

Full bellies and a bottle of wine for under $130. We'll be back to try some of the sandwiches...