“Not a single miss on the menu”

L'Abattoir Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Abattoir Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 3,778 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gastown
Cross street: Cordova Street
Description: L'Abattoir is located in the center of Gastown between historic Gaoler's Mews and Blood Alley. The restaurant was built in the 19th century and is the site of Vancouver's first jail. Originally buttressed to the city's main butchery and meat packing district, the name L'Abattoir pays homage to the neighbourhood's colourful past. Set in a refurbished brick and beam building that combines classic French tile work with industrial fixtures, natural wood, and glass and steel finishes, the restaurant offers a bar and lounge setting, elevated dining room and plush, sun soaked atrium. Chef Lee Cooper and Owner / Operator Paul Grunberg are dedicated to highlighting the finer points of eating and drinking in L'Abattoir's informed but informal setting. French influenced West Coast fare is paired with Wine Director Lisa Haley's eclectic wine program and Bar Manager Thor Paulson's innovative cocktail list to offer a truly unique dining experience. L'Abattoir adds to Gastown's bustling breakfast scene with a menu mixing comforting staples with hearty, unique entrees. Thirsty brunchers can sip on creative cocktails, as well as daily feature vermouth on the rocks. Non-alcoholic options include daily bottled house made iced teas. Just adjacent to L'Abattoir's regular dining room is the restaurant's stunning new private dining facility. The 1,200 sq ft. facility features historical architectural elements complimented by a contemporary design aesthetic. While large enough for 50 people seated or 70 standing, the room retains an intimate ambiance and a noise-reducing barrier blocks out the hustle and bustle of the regular dining room.
Vancouver, Canada
“Not a single miss on the menu”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

It is rare that a restaurant can hit home runs with 3 different appetizers, mains, and deserts, but L'Abattoir did just that. Coupled with a trendy Gastown location, inviting original brick/wood interior, and excellent service from seasoned, casually-dressed staff. You feel very at ease. Sweetbread appetizer and mushroom risotto appetizer special were both excellent. Pork shoulder cooked in milk was sublime. Excellent wine list. Attentive service from one of the least pompous teams I have ever experienced. I could not recommend L'Abattoir more highly.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, British Columbia
“LOVED our experience at L'Abattoir”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic experience at L'Abattoir.

We sat in the back (with the glass roof) -- so bright and the decor is beautiful. Our server was excellent: very friendly and natural, and gave us just the right amount of attention. And we were both very happy with our meals (I started with the crab samosa and I had scallops as my main; both were delicious!). I will definitely return to L'Abattoir.

Visited June 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“didn't get to leave the bar”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I had been recommended this restaurant buy our hotel concierge, though we only stumbled on it after exploring gas town. I can not review the food to much as when we got there we seated our selves at the bar and never left.The two guys behind the bar were great fun and entertainment just watching them put there art into practice. We did have a small entrée of octopus my wife and I shared and both loved.But then back into the cocktails,fortunately we are coming back to Vancouver as part of our Canadian holiday and will definitely get back to eat this time.

• Visited July 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal, not bad value either!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Doesn't matter where you are, or what you're eating, I believe VALUE is a far better test of overall quality than the actual price. This is not a cheap restaurant, but for the food offered, and quality of presentation, it gave us excellent value.

As a carnivore married to a fish eating veggie, sometimes menu choices are limited. Here we had the post shoulder and the Dungeness crab. Both very well cooked and very well presented. Not a wide menu, some may find choice limited. As usual for Vancouver, wine prices were "optimistic"

Cheerful and professional service, a very good venue, and not overpriced considering the location.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Teflonted
“Excellent.”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice ambiance, food was awsome. Variety of wine was very good. Impecable service.I will be back. Parking difficult but whole expecience very good.

• Visited April 2013