“Food ok, ambushed by service charge”
Review of Hapa Izakaya Kitsilano - CLOSED

Hapa Izakaya Kitsilano
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kitsilano
Cross street: Cornwall Avenue
Description: Delicious Japanese food in a romantic, comfortable environment.
UK
“Food ok, ambushed by service charge”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was a large family gathering and as such a special occasion. The server was helpful initially on ordering and the food came in a slow but steady stream. Much of it was made up mainly of rice with little in the way of filling, with skimpy pieces of meat or fish and most covered in the same dribble of sauce. The recommended squid was like eating rubber tyres, so chewy I gave up. The chicken dishes were fine and the desserts acceptable.

Now to the service. I had not noticed the tiny print on the menu that said 18% service charge would be added to parties over 8, we were 12. The service was ok at the beginning but we ended up having to chase the server to get us more wine and whilst she poured the first glass, we were left to our own devices thereafter. Things slowed and slowed as the evening went on and finally when the bill came I was taken aback at the HUGE amount of service charge added to the bill. I challenged the server and said that I thought she could have at least poured the wine for her 18% which was not far short of $100, no response, she just avoided me completely. I tip generously as the norm but this service wasn't worth 18% of the bill probably more like 10%. It leaves a nasty taste to feel 'ripped off' by a service charge. When I then asked the manager about this policy he just shrugged and would not respond. When will restaurants start to realise that charging huge percentages for service then not providing it, puts off diners. Our party most of whom live and work in the city, were NOT IMPRESSED.

• Visited April 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Nice but pricey”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I like it here, but always end up spending a fortune. The menu isn't particularly expensive but you need to order a few things since the portions aren't very big (I don't think they are supposed to be....seems more like tapas). They must have upgraded their menu since last time I went there was a much better selection than previous times, which was good news for people who don't like sashimi!

• Visited August 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
“My favorite Hapa in Vancouver!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

There are several Hapa locations in Vancouver, but the one in Kits is by far my favorite. The atmosphere, the food -- great experience! Be sure to make a reservation if you want to go during peak time on Friday or Saturday as it's not very big and gets busy!

• Visited December 2012
Vancouver
“Wonderful Atmosphere”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This Hapa Izakaya location is great. Lots of free parking within two blocks, nice area and the restaurant itself has a friendly, cozy feel to it.
With no lunch service, there was a line forming at 5:30 pm when it opened on Friday. We were fortunate to be seated, we had no reservations, as the place filled up within 15 minutes. The Hapa Hour menu while not extensive, was a 50% off deal and prices on the regular sheet were very reasonable.
I'll be back for the great service, delicious food and a wonderful atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Three hour experience”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our first time and we want to come back. For great service, tasty and innovative food presentation, great choices of traditional and funky Japanese style dishes, fresh food, Zen-ish open style seating and decor, tasteful selection of music styles, TV monitors only in the bar section, comfortable seats, tasteful cutlery and dishes, efficient management.

• Visited January 2013