“Great service, terrible salad”
Review of Cork and Fin - CLOSED

Cork and Fin
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Gastown
Cross street: Water Street
Transit: Waterfront station is a 5 minute walk away connecting with the North shore Seabus, Skytrain, and West Coast Express. Buses run along Cordova St. just steps away from the front door.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have mixed feelings about my night out here. It's a beautiful restaurant and the atmosphere was lovely and the idea of the open windows to the street is cool. But the urine smell from the street was overwhelming. Not the restaurant's fault, but they probably should have had the windows closed. I wasn't overly hungry so I just ordered a salad - it was so disappointing. The dressing was essentially just oil with no flavour. And it was heavily salted - you don't expect to taste overwhelming salt in a salad but this was almost inedible. I had a bite of my friends dish and hers was very tasty. I would just avoid the waldorf salad. Our server was fantastic!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We arrived to a nearly empty restaurant and were asked if we had a reservation. When we advised that we didn't, there was a heavy sigh before we were led to a table in the corner near the window. Over the course of our meal, only a couple of other tables came in. We were all crammed in the corner, when the other side with the window, rest of the restaurant and upstairs was completely empty. It was a bit odd. A group of 5 was seated directly beside us, and they were so close that the man on the end had his chair back touching our table. Weird. The music was too loud as well, especially combined with the chatting from the tables in such close proximity.

My friend and I each ordered the 3 course menu. I really enjoyed the first two courses - beet salad and ricotta crostini. My main, mussels and fries was gigantic. I only ate a couple of the mussels because they tasted a bit off. I thought perhaps it was just the fennel in the sauce that was tasting a bit odd (it was combined with tomato, basil and cream), but sure enough I got sick later that night and on through the next day. Disappointing.

I won't be back.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Set in the gas lamp district, this quaint establishment has a limited but sophisticated menu. 3 or 4 course meals are served at a nice tempo with an excellent wine selection. Definitely a seafood restaurant using a variety of species. The ambience was Parissien. Open windows with some sidewalk seating.

1  Thank Listen2Dad
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We ducked into this restaurant during a rainy day and found it to be our favorite dining experience in Vancouver. Our server, Rodney, was so much fun and knowledgeable about wine.
Their oysters are super fresh, the menu is priced fairly and loved the ambience. Definitely the best meal we had in Vancouver!

1  Thank theleftbank
Reviewed July 24, 2013

In July 2013 I ate at the Cork and Fin. I ordered their prix-fix three course menu with wine (~CAD 50) I ordered 3 Oysters Rockefeller something, raw scallops with plums and foie gras something, and rock fish something. The menu item titles were more elaborate but unless I unconsciously swallowed the fois gras on my first bite, it was not present. I was not in the mood to argue but I checked the menu on my way out.

This said, I covered the unpleasant part. The dinner itself was very pleasant. I was seated inside directly at the open window. Oyster were fine, but not extraordinary. (I should have ordered the 6 raw ones at an additional 3$ or so); the accompanying wine, champagne-type white wine, was fine. For the second course, except for the potentially missing goose liver, the combination of raw scallops and plums worked surprisingly well and the chosen rose was fine, although a little bit too much on the dry side. The rock fish in the third course was a tad too flaky, but the combination of some sort of red pepper/tomato puree, watercress, a small amount of fried root veggies and fish worked well. The Pinot Noir that accompanied the third course fit quite nice (and was a tad of a surprise, since I expected a white wine.)

Service was prompt and friendly, but not seamlessly perfect.

I think would go again, but with somewhat lower expectations. But it certainly beats any pub food by large margins,

1  Thank ErikaNew