“Nice hotel, but very noisy”

Park Inn & Suites by Radisson
Ranked #43 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stayed one night in this hotel while in Vancouver to visit our son. We like the look of the hotel and the staff were very professional and friendly. The room was clean, but did need some updating. Bed spread was a bit dated. I see in other photos that some of the rooms have had more updating than ours.
Our main complaint other than the beds were just a bit too firm for us was the noise level from the hallways. The door to the hallway is a solid core fire door, but I gather there was carpet up to the door in the room previously so the door does not go all the way to the floor. Every little noise in the hallway feels like it is right there in the room with you. The friendly chamber maid staff can be heard all the way down the hall along with any door closing and they do close loudly. The plumbing woke us up at 4 a.m.
None of the things we had issues with can be fixed quickly so we didn't mention them to the staff.
We loved that the location was walking distance to many shops and restaurants. We were at the back of the hotel so the street noise wasn't an issue and "most" of the ambulances going to Vancouver General Hospital Emergency (seen from our window) remembered to turn their sirens off before going up the street next to the hotel.
Likely won't stay here again, but I can see that it would be good for many other travelers.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 29, 2009

The Park Inn was clean and fresh, our room faced the alley so it was quiet, the Park Inn is on Broadway, a very busy street, but there are lots of shops and cafes nearby. There are many cafes and bars withing walking distance and Granville Island is just a few blocks away. The neighborhood is mixed commericial and residential with lots of upscale condos on one side of the street and older homes on the other, it seemed like a safe place to be at night. We'll stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FridaFreak
Reviewed February 24, 2009

My husband, baby and I stayed here just over a week ago as we needed to visit BC Children's Hospital. It is very close to Childrens, BC Women's, and Vancouver General. Lots of places to eat within walking distance and very close to the downtown core (I wouldn't walk it personally but it is close enough to do). We were there during their seismic upgrades which made it inconvenient to unload and load the vehicle with all our stuff. There is underground parking that does not have an elevator to the inside which is invconvenient and there is outdoor parking around back which you have to navigate stairs or go out the alley to carry your suitcases in.

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. I couldn't get into my room as the handle was stuck and the repair men came immediately upstairs to fix it. We did find there was the smell of cigarette smoke on our floor although smoking is not allowed. We found morning and night were the worst for the smell and mentioned it to the front desk and they said they would get right on it. I suspect someone was smoking on the balcony with the door open which blew the smoke right under the door into our room.

The rooms were very clean except there was some small stuff on the floor that my baby managed to find and pick up. My baby can find anything microscopic on the floor so I wouldn't say they were dirty. This hotel has recently been renovated inside and it is well done.

There is a small cafe inside the hotel which we had our breakfast the one morning. The food was alright but one particular waitress wasn't so friendly. I asked if I could order just one piece of toast for my baby (anytime I've asked in the past at restaurants they always oblige and don't charge me for it even though I'm willing to pay) and she told rudely, "We only sell them in two's". Huh? You mean you can't order one piece of toast and charge me half the price? Is that too hard?

Other than that our experience was good and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Caro281
Reviewed December 31, 2008

I know the Park Inns. There's a big one at London-Heathrow and also one I've stayed in near Minneapolis airport. They give good value for the dollar--usually.

And I know that construction for the new Vancouver subway is two blocks away. But I was lucky enough to hit this particular hotel during 'seismic upgrading' -- adding additional steel and concrete to the underground parking garage to pass new local regulations. So jackhammers ran from 9am to 4pm, though I was out a good part of that time. And the hotel does own other parking space in the neighborhood for our rental cars and such.

To be honest, I had to Febreeze my room. I recognized the stench--my 'non-smoking' room **used to be** a 'smoking' room. Okay, no big deal. I got a good rate.

The maids befriended me. They gave me extra bottled water, extra coffee packs for my Mr. Coffee machine, and extra towels. I can't guarantee they will do that for everyone.

Okay, now for the one *big* problem. (drumroll please!) My room faces south (away from the fantastic views) and I am facing Vancouver General Hospital. Helicopters--bringing patients to the regional shock-trauma unit--land on the annex roof opposite my balcony door any time of the day or night.

All in all, I'm going to let construction settle down around here before I pay a return visit here.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank Forest20851
Reviewed November 13, 2008

Stayed at the Park Inn & Suites on Broadway for 4 nights. The hotel is a new building, with a car park underneath, and there are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. It is within a 20 minute walk of Granville Island and Kitsilano, and although this hotel is not centrally located (you'd need to catch a bus to get to downtown), it offers good value for Vancouver, which is not a cheap place to stay. The rooms are modern, well-designed, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean, but very small. The big problem with this hotel is the noise - although the view from the rooms on the street side is spectacular across Vancouver to the mountains beyond, there must have been a big gap or a vent somewhere around the window, because although the window was closed, the busy street outside was very loud - I would recommend requesting a room on the back side of the building if you want a quiet night's sleep - but even with a room at the back, you will still have the problem of a large gap at the bottom of the door, which means you can hear everything going on in the corridor that runs along the centre of each floor. Bring earplugs! Car parking in the area around the hotel is tightly controlled, but it only costs $8 per 24hrs to park in the hotel's car park. This hotel does not have a restaurant. Wireless internet is free, and there is one PC for guest use in the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank majikthise
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Spent a week here & were quite pleased with the hotel. We had a room on the top floor facing the city. The view was amazing! However streetside, there is a lot of noise, but I was ok with that. The hall doors are thin so you can hear people in the hallway & the doors bang shut so that can be annoying. Check in was ok. the lobby is nothing special. I didn't even bother checking out the hotel restaurant, what for...you're in Vancouver!!! Go out!
The room was beautiful, a little crammped but I didn't mind, and the bed was comfortable. Nice room overall.
I thought the location was ideal. You are on a main bus line so can get wherever you want quickly. Plus there are so many nice places within walking distance. What's also fun is to walk down to the creek & grab one of the little boat ferries which will take you across to downtown, over to granville island, or to english bay. I think it's the same price as the bus.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Our family stayed in the Park Inn for two nights late in August. When we arrived the lobby was busy, but I was pleasantly surprized to be helped quickly and to get our young children up to the room.

The room was clean and well appointed for a family. After "child-proofing" the room, our kids enjoyed spending time on the balcony watching boats on the ocean while we got ourselves comfortable. The view was amazing and quite spectacular at night. I would recommend a room with a view - worth the slightly larger price tag.

The hotel is noisy at night, but this should just be expected for a hotel on a busy street.

The A/C unit is very close to one of the two comfortable beds, so it was a bit chilly for the person closest to the unit on the first night, but very comfortable once we figured out how to regulate the temperature.

The housekeeping staff were wonderful and took the time to stop and chat to our young children.

The room was perfectly dark at night and the nightlight in the bathroom was helpful once the kids went to sleep. We were worried when one of our kids woke up during the first night and was disoriented and upset, but soon calmed ourselves when we heard another child clearly experiencing a similar fear and realised that we were surrounded by families - the walls are not terribly thick.

The only really annoying thing about this hotel was the elevator - it was painfully slow and always very busy. My husband ran up the stairs to the fifth floor once and then had to come back down again when he realized he didn't have a room key to get onto the fifth floor. We were still waiting for the elevator in the lobby!

We would stay here again. The price is right for Vancouver, the hotel is close to everything we needed and even the daily parking rate was reasonable.

A point to note, the hotel requires a copy of a driver's license. When we checked out I asked if they shredded the information immediately. They do not. It is stored for a number of months in the hotel basement. I saw no reason for them to keep this information and requested the copy of my license back.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family