“Great value for your money!”

Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #56 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Me and my wife stayed at the Ramada Limited Downtown hotel for almost two weeks. Just before our trip we read a few bad reviews here about the hotel and we got worried, but fortunately our fears were unfounded. The hotel turned out to be a very good one and I have to say we were very pleased with our hotel choice.

First of all, the location is perfect! Everything is a short walk away, and the homeless people around the area didn't bother us because they weren't dangerous at all. Secondly, the staff was super nice all the time and every one of them from reception to house-keeping did their jobs well. When we needed help or information, we got it right away. Our room was very clean too, and there were no nasty smells or anything like some other reviewers claim to have experienced (which is really hard to believe).

My only complaint is that the breakfast room is way too small! It's almost always so crowded and it was hard to enjoy our breakfast there. The breakfast itself, however, was more than satisfactory. It was great to start our days with full stomaches.

Overall, if we come back to Vancouver someday, I would definitely re-book here. You cannot get a better location or friendlier staff in anywhere else, I'm quite certain of that. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,615)

Reviewed October 20, 2010

We stayed here at the end of an Alaska cruise first week in October 2010. We were within easy walking distance of Gastown, Chinatown, the new Vancouver Public Library (an architectual gem), shopping, etc. We are seniors and are not long walkers and this location worked well for us. We did not feel the location was "seedy" as others had implied and would both stay again and recommend to friends. The staff were super friendly and helpful. One caveat--if it is important, specify a room with a window view, as ours was at the back and the window was opaque. But this was insignificant on a short 3 night visit.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We found this hotel to be dirty, with stained carpets in the hallways and rooms. The rooms are very small, and the lobby was small with no privacy. Valet parking only. Expensive for what you get.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Manager2324, Manager at Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am sorry to see these comments as we take great pride in providing a very clean product. Our Housekeeping Department works very hard and does a great job. I will be reviewing the details of your stay and ensuring that we no longer see comments regarding cleanliness. I think if you read a majority of our reviews you will find that the cleanliness, service, price point and location are all very strong points for our property.

Reviewed October 6, 2010

When I first arrived which was quite early around 08.30am, I knew I would not be able to check in that early so was happy to go alone and get some breakfast elsewhere and came back at midday.
As the room was not still ready I was offered coffee/tea and told that my room should be read soon, however, there was another room which was and I could have that one. It wouldn't be as nice I was advised so I waited.
My room was on floor 6 - called the executive floor. Upon entering the room, I was more than plesantly surprised.
Room with two windows overlooking the sea and where cargo is brought into the country, not noisy at all.
Double bed, bathrobes, coffee/tea maker with fresh coffee and teabags, large bathroom with bathtub and shower, stone tiling.
Very clean, no smells (like some reviews on here). Comfortable.
I will confess with reading some reviews, I wasn't sure what type of room I was going to get (booked via Trip Advisor).
The only slight grip I do have is the breakfast room (continential was incl). The room is far too small for the hotel size and the hotel seriously needs to look into this. When you go down there, it makes you want to go out for some breakfast instead.
Overall, if and when I come back to Vancouver, I would re-book here.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank hugeabbafan
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Location:
The hotel is located between Gastown and the shopping district, near to China Town as well as to the Harbour. So, the location is quite good, except for the fact that there are a lot of homeless people and drug addicts around the hotel. In general the area around the hotel is not exactly "nice".

Rooms:
Our rooms on the sixth and fourth floor looked all the same: they were very small, with two queen size beds, one arm chair (squeezed between one bed and the wall), a window that wasn't really one because it was only one feet away from an exterior wall and therefore pasted up, so that you didn't have to look at the wall. The beds were clean. The bathroom was tiny but clean and had lots of white, clean towels of good quality. The carpet was just filthy and blotchy and we didn't dare to walk on the carpet without shoes. The first room we got (Nr. 601) reeked of urine, so we went back to the reception and asked for a different room. The receptionist was very friendly, apologized for the inconvenience and gave us immediately a different room (No. 403).
Room no. 403 looked exactly like the first room but didn't smell as bad. Unfortunately this time the bathroom had the smell of urine (we think this is because of the floor tiles, since they are difficult to clean). The rooms are simply tiny and darkish and because of the strange smell we were just happy to leave after a two night stay.

Breakfast (included):
The breakfast room is located in the basement without windows. There are two open sitting areas, with blank tables. Breakfast included bagels, muffins, toast, a variety of packed jams and peanut butter, cornflakes, milk, apples, three different juices, coffee, tea and pancakes. Again: we just had a quick coffee and were happy to leave the depressing atmosphere of the darkish room.

Service:
The front office was very friendly and check-in as well as check-out was quick and easy.

Parking:
The hotel offers "valet parking" for 25 CAD/night. For this price you can enter and leave the parkade as often as you like. Since we didn't want to pay 50 $ for two nights we simply parked our rental car in the "easy park" parking garage just across the street for 4.5 CAD/night. But unfortunately the night rate applies only from 6.00pm to 6.00am. So you have to get up quite early in the morning and to purchase a new ticket. But from Saturday to Sunday we could purchase one ticket that was valid until Monday morning (for only 9.00 $). You can enter and leave this parkade as often as you want to.

Other matters:
Next to the front desk there is one computer with internet access - use is free!
The hotel has only one elevator, so especially in the morning during breakfast and check-out time using the elevator can take a long time - but of course you can always use the stairs.

Next time in Vancouver we would definitely spend more money on the hotel or simply do a better research. The dark rooms with the unpleasant or rather disgusting smell was just unacceptable. I think there are some renovated rooms, but the hotel should - by all means - exchange at least the dirty carpets in the old rooms.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Manager2324, Manager at Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2010

As stated in many other responses.....Downtown Vancouver is the 3rd largest city in the country and with that comes issues of homelessness. You will find a noticable amount of homeless people in ALL areas of Vancouver, not just around our property as this review may imply. We are a 98 year old building and guest rooms are comfortable but may be smaller than some newer buildings. We are very concerned with the comments about the carpet and smells and therefore have recently began having all the carpets in guest rooms and hallways proffessionally cleaned and will be replacing any carpet that cannot be cleaned. Guests are not required to stay and eat in the Breakfast Room and are encouraged to take a tray of food to their guest rooms if the Breakfast Room gets too busy. The Valet Parking that we offer is a great value as it is an underground, gated and patrolled lot. The $25 will allow you to use the lot as mcuh as you like and it should be noted that it is valid until 5pm the following day. I am glad that the reviewer did notice our focus on service and we would like to stress that we do have a great little property here and are working on rectifying the recent issues brought to our attention via these Trip Advisor Reviews.

Reviewed September 7, 2010

Very convenient for cruise ship passengers. Close to Gastown, Seabus & Skytrain. Lots of foreign tourists. Free breakfast.
Rooms and bathrooms are very small. Lobby is very small.
Carpets are filthy! Valet Parking only.
Not worth $170 a night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sleepless55
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I booked this hotel via a travel agent. To be fair, the location is great with regard to access to the rest of Downtown. However, the hotel is very tired, and there is a reason that is quite a bit cheaper than the rest of the local competition. I stayed for 5 nights, and had 5 rooms - the first was on the 2nd (European 1st) floor, facing the road, which I was concerned would be too noisy (room 215 - facing the main street) - I was then put into 210 which I was told would be quieter as it faced the side-street though it had no natural light. This room did not smell good, though was told that the next day they would try to move me to a higher floor.
The next day I was moved to 410 - the same room two floors above. Whilst this did have natural light it also smelt bad - with a vineger tinge. I had asked for a double-bed, but all I got was two singles pushed together. The shower was a total joke, and breakfast in the morning wasn't impressive - in a tiny room in the basement with only bagels and pancakes as the hot options, and only maybe seating for 20-30 guests at most. With 80 rooms if you went at peak time there was no point as there was no room and nowhere to sit. Free Internet connectivity was good, though the connection slow.
On checkout I wasn't even asked whether everything had been alright with my stay - I wouldn't bother even thinking about this place.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Manager2324, Manager at Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2010

We are sad to see that this guest checked out of the hotel unhappy. I can clarify a few issues mentioned in this review. Firstly, this guest did not stay in 5 different rooms for their 5 nights. They stayed in 2 different rooms (210 and 410). Guest was checked into room 215 (one of our larger rooms with big bright windows as well as a fireplace). We blocked this room specifically for this guest because they were staying for 5 nights and would appreciate the extra space. The guest was "concerned" that there could be a "potential" for street noise because this room is at the front of the hotel and facing the street. Guest informed our Front Desk of this concern and was given the option of staying in the room for the night (to see if the street noise would even be an issue) or moving to the one vacant room we had (210). Guest was given this option and after inspecting this room decided to move into room 210. As per the guest request, he was moved to a higher floor the following day. Guest wanted a quiet room (away from the street) and a room with natural light. After being given keys to room 410 the guest stayed in this room until the end of their stay (4 nights) without mentioning any concerns about this room. In relation to the other comments..."shower was a total joke"..I am unclear as to what this means exactly. We get comments almost EVERY day about the great shower pressure and have had several guests purchase shower heads from us because they like them so much!! There are many great reviews on the quality of our FREE breakfast and it seems that a majority of our guests love it. This review says we have "Pancakes and Bagels" but it is much more extensive. Our breakfast room cannot accomodate every one of our guests all at once (I dont know any hotel who's restaurant could accomodate every single guest all at one time). We do provide an additional room for guests to use during busy times and we also provide trays so that guests can take food to their rooms. We have a terrific wireless internet provider and they are happy to assist with any connectivity issues (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Guest should have been asked how everything went with their stay at check out...as it is our goal to have all guests leave the hotel happy!! I can assure all readers of this review that we are a very nice, clean, friendly and centrally located property.