“Older hotel but in a great location”

Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #54 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have avoided the Ramada chain of hotels since I had a bad experience with one in Jersey City. For this trip, I had to stay close to my customer's location and this was one of the few hotels with room available so I had no choice.

With that said, I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The location is very very good. From the airport, you can just take the train right into the Watertown station at the end of the line. It only took about 30 minutes from beginning to end. The walk from the station to the hotel was about 5 minutes and you are right in the heart of downtown Vancouver by the water. You are about 5 to 10 minutes from the steam clock and Pacific Center Mall is right across the way from you.

The service staff at the hotel was great! They were very friendly and helpful. The cleaning lady saw me heading out without a jacket and told me that I probably should consider it if I'm coming back late. There was always a smile on everyone's face.

The rooms and the hotel itself is definitely an older downtown building. The room was small but clean. The beds were a bit older but still comfortable. I know that I will be back in Vancouver again and I won't hesitate to stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,603)

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Front desk staff was very friendly and allowed us to check into our room early. They called shortly after we were in the room to make sure we were happy with it. They also arranged for a cab ride early the next morning to take us to the train station.

1  Thank CON M
Reviewed September 26, 2012

$140.00 per day for this.Never again.One elevator! No food after 9:00am.Doors slamming all night.I found out later we could have stayed at the westin for less! You got us this time but not when we come back in May.If you are looking for a fitness center or a cup of coffee this is not the place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Manager2324, Manager at Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

This is a very interesting review. $140/night in Downtown Vancouver is considered to be very good rate in the peak of the summer season (May 1 - Sept 30). I have personally never heard of any of the Westin properties charging less that $200/night. A bit about our property....we are an 80 room boutique hotel in a 100 year old historical building (with 80 rooms on 5 floors I don't see why we would need more than one elevator). We offer free breakfast to all of our guests which goes from 6:30am - 9:30am Mon-Fri and 6:30am -10:30 am Sat/Sun. We also offer free wireless internet access throughout the hotel (free breakfast and free wi-fi...you wont find that in any Westin property). All rooms have their own coffee maker and the breakfast room always have coffee ready for any guest's at any time. We do not have a fitness centre....but the beautiful Stanley Park seawall is a short distance away with many bike and roller-blade rentals. Come visit us...you won't be dissappointed!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was an older hotel that has been updated. The room wasn't very big but adequate size for my husband and I. It was low key and pleasant and very comfortable. The shower was great and the bathroom was clean and pleasant. It was very comfortable..no complaints.
The staff at the front desk were a "ten".....VERY helpful and friendly.
This hotel is very close to the Gastown area, a quaint and trendy place to explore. Lots of fun. Check out the steam clock on Water Street. Good location in heart of the city. Walk a few blocks to Canada place and take the trolley tours, both the red and blue loops (about

1.5 hours each) to get a good feel for Vancouver. We also took the LandAir tour to Victoria
Island...pricey but worth it. Cost was $189 each but that included transportation to the ferry,
about 30 minutes, the ferry ride over (about 2 hours), time in downtown Victoria (about 2.5
hours) and travel to the incomparable Butchart Gardens, (about 30 minutes), and back.
This was a long day..from 7am to 9:30 but worth it. No trip to Vancouver is complete
without a trip to charming, romantic Victoria. The Butchart gardens will take your breath
away. Check them out online.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We tried both Ramada and Hyatt when we were in Vancouver, and even though the room size in Ramada is so much smaller and less fancier, I like how it provides experience as good as the latter one with a much cheaper price.
Although the first night there were a loud alarm outside that went on for half an hour at 4am in the morning, other things were completely fine.
-Clean room and beds, FREE WIFI and breakfast (not buffet but good enough, there are bagels, toast, egg, cereal and drinks).
-Provide us with lots of cups (which the other doesn't, that's why I remembered).
-Nice services.
-Very close to both Gas town where there are lots of restaurants (e.g. Guu!) and the sky train station which allow me to get to Richmond or other places very conveniently.
Overall it is a pleasant stay :)
The only downside might be that it looks kinda creepy outside at night, but so far i found it safe to stay, just don't stay out that long/late outdoor should be fine..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel was excellent, especially for the price we paid. Our room was front facing which gave us a nice view. The room wasn't massive but was fine for the two of us (how long do you spend in the room or looking out of the window anyway!)
The room and the rest of the hotel was very clean. The breakfast selection was ok, eggs, pancakes, cereal, toast etc. The staff throughout the hotel were really lovely, so friendly and helpful.
The location was excellent. 5 min walk from Gastown, Canada Place, Granville Street, Chinatown and Robson Street. The Waterfront station is only 5 mins too, ideal if you want to take the skytrain from the airport to Downtown (just as quick as a taxi and considerably cheaper!)
I would have no hesitation about booking this hotel again.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

My travel agent recommended this place as it was a good bargain for downtown Vancouver. It was. Initially they put us into a room that was so small there was no room for the luggage and it smelled. Adjacent buildings did not look maintained. I got the room changed and from there on our stay got better and better. The clerks and consierge were very helpful and informative. Walking to the hotel in the evening was very safe. I would stay there again because of the location and price.

Room Tip: If you do not like your room, get it changed!