“Terrible hotel in downtown of Vancouver with night clubs...”

Ranked #78 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you look at a recent Yelp review of this hotel you will notice that the horrible event that I am about to document has occurred with another guest who stayed at this hotel recently. Unfortunately, we saw the review after our equally terrible experience. Our room was broken into while we were at dinner and the thief stole my bag full of computer equipment and other electronic devices. They also went through the bags of the other two guests staying with me and stole electronics from their luggage. A total of $2000 worth of equipment was stolen. When we returned after dinner our room was ransacked; bags and clothes were strewn throughout the room. This scenario is so similar to what happened to the previous Yelp reviewer that it brings into question the legitimacy of the staff, as the other reviewer is apt to point out.

What made our situation much worse is that we had two young children with us. Both reacted very poorly to the situation and were consumed with fear. We were trying to calm the children while dealing with the hotel staff and police and it made the entire circumstances immeasurably worse. After moving to a different hotel, we were awake into the early morning hours trying to assure the children that nothing else was going to happen.

Like the other reviewer, they offered to put us up at another hotel which we gladly accepted but I was initially told that I was still going to be charged but it would be transferred to the other hotel. Of course, I just wanted to take the children to another hotel and deal with everything else later. Before I left, the staff provided informed me that the hotel manager was going to be available the next morning and that we could meet with him to discuss the event.

We arrived at the hotel the next morning and asked to speak to the manager. The staff member questioned who we were and we told him why we were there. He walked to a door about 10 feet from us and half opened it to talk to someone inside. They were talking for several minutes before we were invited inside. I surmised that the manager was not interested in dealing with the situation.

We got the obligatory, “I sympathize with you” diatribe from the manager but he backed away from any culpability and remuneration associated with the theft. He asked that we file a claim with our homeowner’s policy which we explicitly opposed. We made it clear that we expected compensation from the hotel.

We were also told that nothing like this has ever happened at the hotel and then I pointed out the Yelp review from three months earlier that documented the almost identical event. All credibility with the hotel staff ended at that point.

We contacted the Wyndham Worldwide (owners of Ramada) customer service group by phone and opened a case with them expecting someone to intervene but received an e-mailed form letter back explaining , “that Ramada Worldwide is solely the franchisor of the Ramada Worldwide trademarks and service marks to independently owned and operated Ramada Worldwide guest lodging facilities and is not involved in the day-to-day operations or management of this facility” and that “as the franchisee is in the best position to respond to your complaint, please direct all further communication to the franchisee.” Basically, sorry you are out of luck and why did you even bother contacting us in the first place. We then found an e-mail address of a higher level manager within Wyndham’s corporate hierarchy and sent her an account of our experience. She responded back quickly that she couldn’t help but would forward our e-mail to someone within Wyndham that might be able to assist. That was over a month ago and we still have not received a response. How’s that for corporate accountability?
In the interim, we sent the hotel manager another e-mail asking for a status. We received a response several days later reiterating that the hotel is not liable for our belongings but they were authorized to provide us with 50,000 Wyndham points—the equivalent of a one night stay at a Chicago hotel. Of course, we declined and asked again that we be compensated fully for our stolen belongings.
It has been two months since the incident and all subsequent e-mails that I have sent to the hotel manager have gone unanswered—despite the fact we were told that this would be a priority for him.
I keep thinking that we were lucky in one respect: we could have walked in with our children while the thief was still in the room. I couldn’t imagine what would have happened in that scenario--the children are still experiencing ill-effects from the incident as it occurred.
So, is this the most dangerous Ramada in Canada? You tell me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank djd828
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I checked into the Ramada originally for 2 nights but was required to stay longer for business reasons. I chose the Ramada because I had previously stayed in the Victoria Ramada which was fantastic. I have a number of issues with this hotel. Primarily when I checked in the cost of the room with taxes was substantially higher than I had expected. I asked for a breakdown of these taxes and was told that could only be completed when I checked out. However, the receptionist told me that the taxes were 15% of the cost. The maths didn't make sense and it was plain to see that the taxes exceeded 15%. When I queried this I was told it was 15% and had to use the receptionists calculator to prove it was more. Once I had highlighted this I was then told there was an energy charge ontop of the 15%. I strongly believe that if your going to charge taxes at a known rate it should be transparent and clear. In the UK it is a requirement to give a detailed price structure so we know what we are paying for. Yes, every hotel may charge these taxes but a clear breakdown for foreign visitors like me would be VERY useful. Secondly, the "Standard Room" I first checked into had a bed that was very short and my ankles hung out of the end. The room was very small and it was obvious why this short bed had been used – nothing else would fit. I complained at reception and in all fairness they quickly put me in another room. The second room was a lot bigger and had a real sized bed but that brings me to the view out of the window. Outside of my window was the most disgusting and appalling view I have ever hadin any hotel despite having travelled to some third world nations. It made me feel physically sick and even on the days when the sun was shining I kept the window blinds closed. The view was a small courtyard with emergency exits. The walls were covered in mould - I mean COVERED. It was disgusting! You would have expected someone to clean it up – that much damp and mould must be a health hazard! What is worse is that the mould is all over the air conditioning units that are blowing air into the room - I can't imagine how healthy that is. I know that the air con units probably have filters but it just looks BAD. The windows were covered with grime and bird excrement and if this is what the inside of the air con units are like, well.......I have travelled all over the world and this is the most vile view I have ever had. I have included the pictures so that people can make up their own decision. I am frankly amazed that nothing has been done about this. The noise in the hotel when music is playing in the bar is annoying and disturbed my sleep. The music goes on very late into the evening so if you have kids I would avoid this hotel. The walls are paper thin and you can hear a lot of noise. On a plus the room service is good and they cleaned the room nice each day. In short I would never book at this hotel again – there's plenty more to choose from.

Room Tip: Book another hotel and avoid this one
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rajiv S, Director of Sales at Ramada Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We value your feedback and we are sorry we failed to meet your expectations. Your comments are currently being reviewed by our Management and Ownership team and immediate action is being taken to correct the issues your have identified. In fact the cleaning of our lightwells has been booked for some time but could not be scheduled until the middle of September due to the complexity of the building layout and specialized equipment required for that cleaning. We are looking at eco friendly ways of keeping the birds away from these areas which should decrease the problems in the future.

We look forward to better serving you in the future.

Scott Cowden
Director of Sales
Ramada Vancouver Downtown

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Tel Mond
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The location is good. The staff is excellent . The rooms are clean .
A few homeless people are sleeping on the street close to the hotel .
It makes the street look bad although the homeless people are harmless .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We value your feedback and are happy you had a great experience with our hotel and team. Downtown Vancouver does experience a high number of homeless people due to our temperate climate and we work with the social services agencies in many ways to enact change. We will share your comments with our Front office and Housekeeping teams.

We look forward to serving you in the future.

Scott Cowden
Director of Sales
Norderstedt
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Floorboards are making lots of noise when moving about, can be heard throughout the rooms, peaking up to 87 decibel!!!

Rooms are O.K. Otherwise, good location at downtown, with all weekend parties just a few steps away

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Rajiv S, Duty Manager at Ramada Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We value your feedback and we are sorry for your last experience with our hotel. The Ramada Inn & Suites Downtown is located in the heart of the entertainment district. Located steps away from local restaurants and nightclubs, our central location makes us a top destination for weekend enjoyment in downtown Vancouver.

We look forward to better serving you in the future.

Mihaela Birzan