“Friendly staff, great rooms, great time!”

Ramada Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #78 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
“Friendly staff, great rooms, great time!”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

The building is definatly older, but the room had newer furniture, decor and a great big tv. We had really friendly staff our entire visit that was overly helpful and knowledgeable. This was my second time staying at the hotel and my second visit was just as good as My first. The hotel is very accessible to transit, freeway and attractions. It was very close to the core of downtown and all the nightlife is less then a block away which was great.

• Stayed June 2011
OfficeManager2, Front Office Manager at Ramada Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Hi There,

We are so glad that you have enjoyed several stays with us. How do you like our newly renovated lobby?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2011

This hotel sold our fully pre-paid room to someone else, and we had to stay miles away from downtown for our first night. That's bad enough, but the way we were dealt with by the management was an absolute disgrace. The manager we spoke to didn't apologise, refused to offer a cent of compensation, and threatened to kick us out on the street. The full details of what happened are as follows:

BACKGROUND
Myself, my brother, and my father were in Vancouver for 3 nights at the end of May as part of a 2-and-a-half week city-hopping holiday following a family wedding in Las Vegas. We chose the Ramada because of its downtown location, and because it had rooms with 2 beds plus a sofa bed, meaning that all 3 of us could sleep in the same room, but in separate beds. Our experience in this hotel was the single bad experience we had over the course of what was otherwise an extremely enjoyable holiday.

WHAT WENT WRONG
Our room was booked and FULLY PRE-PAID several weeks before our stay. However, because we knew we were going to be arriving late (after midnight), I phoned ahead from Vegas early in the afternoon of the day we were due to check-in to let the hotel know our expected time of arrival. I was assured that it was not a problem; they confirmed that they had our reservation, that it was all paid for and that our room would be kept for us no matter what time we arrived. However when we arrived (about 1am), the desk staff spent some time looking at their computer and paper records, and eventually informed us that there had been a mistake, and that our room had been
sold to someone else. What's more, they had no more rooms available for the first night of our stay (but they had a room for us for the second and third nights). Clearly, to sell a fully pre-paid room to someone else is a pretty huge mistake to make.

HOW RAMADA DEALT WITH IT ON THE NIGHT
While we waited a member of staff phoned around other downtown hotels, but was unable to find us a room in the area (it was a saturday night, and everywhere seemed to be full). They therefore had to book us into another Ramada (at Kingsway), a 20-25 minute cab ride away from the downtown area. Between arriving at the first Ramada and checking in at the second, a period of more than an hour had elapsed- an hour of lost sleep and frustration. We had to pay up front for the night at Ramada Kingsway (meaning at this point we had paid for the saturday night twice over), and for the cab fare. The Ramada Kingsway was not a particularly nice hotel, and the room we were given had 2 beds but no sofa bed. As I mentioned above, one of the reasons we booked the room in Ramada Granville was that it could sleep the three of us in separate beds. As such, the sleeping arrangements at Ramada Kingsway were not ideal. However, it was the best that could be done given the earlier mistake, and so we settled down to sleep.

HOW RAMADA DEALT WITH IT THE NEXT DAY
After getting to bed so late on Saturday night, we awoke late on the Sunday morning, with the hassle of moving our luggage back to Ramada Granville St and checking in still ahead of us (eating in to our limited time in Vancouver). We paid for a taxi back to the Ramada Granville St and went to check in. At the check-in desk a female member of the management team approached us, saying that she had heard about us. At this point we fully expected her to be apologetic, to offer us compensation for the inconvenience, and to go out her way to make the remainder of our stay a happy one. We couldn't have been more wrong. Her demeanour absolutely stunned us. Instead of being apologetic, her manner was confrontational and nothing that she said constituted an apology. She kept saying things like "mistakes happen, but it's in the past, move on". We did get reimbursed for the taxi fares and for the first night at Ramada Granville St, meaning that we had no longer paid for the saturday night twice over. However, no offer of compensation was forthcoming, and when I raised the issue her response was breathtaking. It was along the lines of "What's the point, how's that going to help you? What's happened is in the past, and me giving you money isn't going to help with that". Wow, so this hotel clearly thinks that if they make a monumental mistake and inconvenience their customers they don't need to apologise or provide recompense. At this point I was struggling to believe what I was hearing, but it was about to get worse. The next thing she did was essentially to threaten to kick us out onto the streets! She said that as we were clearly unhappy, she wasn't sure she wanted us staying in the hotel, and she would rather we stayed somewhere else. Again, we were utterly stunned. We felt backed into a corner, as we really didn't want to have to waste more time finding another hotel, and we knew it would be difficult to find somewhere to suit our sleeping arrangements. As such, we reluctantly backed down, and left the matter at that. We checked in, and over the next two days spent as little time in the hotel as possible.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank faceInTheCrowd

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Kent, Washington
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This hotel is quite frankly one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at due in part to the staff. I've stayed here before and they were very courteous, caring, and made sure we were comfortable when we visited. They even remembered me from my past visit. I've recommended them to my friends in the past and they all say the same thing about the staff. My friends and myself will continue to do business with them, thanks Ramada.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the street, good view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your continued patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay. See you next time!

Salt Spring Island, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Have been there on business and pleasure and its hard to find fault on anything about the hotel..its a value priced hotel so you are not getting swimming pools and a work out room,but if your into sightseeing and using your room to sleep and rest its great!
Rooms are clean,staff helpful and friendly..and the location is amazing..you are minutes away from the entertainment district..minutes away from the subway and minutes away from shopping..and if you don't want to go anywhere ..there is a hip modern Irish pub right next door,or u can walk a few blocks and your at Bin 941 which is a top reviewed restaurant.
You're right downtown so it can be lively but so ask the staff to recommend a quiet room if your sensitive to street noise.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for staying with us. We look forward to having you as our guest upon your return to Vancouver.

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2011

(the good) We arrived at the hotel checking in was easy and fast, and it is in a very good location but not the chic end of town. Very handy to the Metro, shopping, night life, stanley island, the harbour and a good selection of pubs,clubs and cafes. The room was clean and spacious. We found the reception staff and cleaning staff extremely helpful, very pleasant and very accommodating with just one exception.

(the bad) It is definately a 3 star max. lifts are slow and small, hallways are dark and lack fresh air. The rooms can be noisy but were very clean and the cleaning staff were great.

(the Ugly) There is a nightclub attached to the Hotel so make sure you are on the 4th floor or above. When we arrived we were on the 2nd floor the noise was simply horrendous and it goes on until 3:00am. When I spoke to reception about it they kindly offered me a free set of earplugs which they keep readily on hand. The second week we were given the option to move to the 5th floor and the problem was solved. We really did enjoy our stay and the only issue came when I was checking out. Having thanked everyone for an enjoyable stay I asked for my bill. As I had prepaid the first week I was required to settle for the second week and had been informed at the time of booking the room the rate would be the same. When I received my bill it was different and had a series of charges and taxes which I did not understand. I asked the girl on receiption could she explain these for me. She said she could not and went and got a manageress who suddenly appeared beside me screaming at the top of her voice how dare I question the bill, claiming she had explained it previously (which was untrue) when I stated I had no previous conversation with her and her statement was untrue, she stated she would ammend the bill by $100, but still shouting at the top of her voice claimed it would come out of her wages and that of other staff members and how would I feel about that?. Given I was being charged an additional $300 more than the previous week I was entitled to ask why. I was totally shocked very embarrassed at her outburst as there were other staff and customers standing beside me. I have since written to the hotel about the incident and am waiting on their response. This was a very strange occurance at the end of an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Ephill2000
Dear Guest,

We are truly happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have 2 nightclubs located right here so we do our best to assign those rooms to guests who will be out enjoying the nightlife that is Granville Street. We are glad that the room move was able to solve this issue and that you found our staff friendly and accommodating. Please accept our apologies for any misunderstanding upon your departure.

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2011

My girlfriend and I recently spent 2 nights at the Ramada Inn and suites on Granville Street and both found no faults what-so-ever. Our room was very quiet at night, rare for downtown Vancouver, and comfortable. The staff was fantastic. Very courteous and extremely helpful. The location was un-beatable. Minutes walk from all the excitement and shopping Granville Street, and the whole downtown core for that matter, has to offer. If you love to visit Vancouver as much as I do, you can't go wrong with a stay at The Ramada Inn and Suites, Granville.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback and Thank you for staying with us.

Penticton, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Recently stayed at this Ramada to catch some of the Stanley Cup hype. We had some trouble at check in but the management was extremely accomodating and even bought us breakfast! This hotel is in a great location. Definitely worth a stay if you want to be in a safe area right downtown. They were so accomodating. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for staying at the Ramada Inn & Suites, Downtown Vancouver, and we appreciate the positive review about our property.

Thank you.