“Comfortable stay in a bustling part of Vancouver”

Days Inn Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #68 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This Days Inn is located in the busy part of Downtown Vancouver. You may not realize where it is on W. Pender Street as it just looks like a normal business building amongst other business buildings. As someone from the States, it was a little confusing on how to actually stop and check-in. Turns out the designated curb area in front of the property is a passenger loading zone so you can stop there and check-in (even with busy traffic). Parking for the property is certainly not convenient as the lot is a few blocks away so make sure that you've cleared out any baggage while you are at the loading zone first otherwise you'll have to wheel it with you back from the parking lot.

The Days Inn itself is definitely outdated and there is only one elevator so it can be very busy in the mornings during checkout time. The rooms could stand to use some updating but overall it is in okay condition. The bathrooms are fairly clean as well. We had a queen sized bed and a sleeper sofa which accomodated our family of 3 adults and 2 smaller children (8 and 5 years old). The two rooms were nice to have as there were two televisions in each room so we could each watch different programming while we were winding down our days. There is a lot of noises from loud birds in the mornings.

There is a restaurant in the basement of the Days Inn which serves breakfast and lunch. Some packages from the hotel may include breakfast coverage so check to see if your reservations do include that.

The hotel is convenient to places within the Downtown area such as the Canada Place waterfront area, Gastown, and the main Downtown area. You can certainly walk around there. If you are looking at visiting things such as the Capilano suspension bridge or Grouse Mountain, consider walking the two blocks to Canada Place and taking advantage of the free shuttles to those areas by buying your tickets from one of the vendors. It will save you the hassle of having to drive through Vancouver.

Overall, it's a basic place to stay with some inconvenient off-property parking but convenient to walking to things that could get you around town.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
DaysInnDwntwn, General Manager at Days Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you, for your recent stay, and taking the time of your busy schedule to write a review about our hotel, and we are pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We appreciate your concern about the parking lot being away few blocks away from the hotel, as all our guest do not know this that the hotel was built in 1918 and in those day there was no need for underground parking. and that is the reason we donot have onsite parking, or the space to build a parking lot.

The same goes for the elevator, the owners in 1918 had installed 1 elevator, and we wish they installed 2 or more elevators, who would have known that this hotel would be a busy place next to the cruise ship terminal, and in the heart of the financial district.

As we are located in downtown, we are sorry that we cannot control the Vancouver's Sea Gulls.

Thank you, for sharing your recent experience with us, and hotel's best assets is its location, and convenient for so many activites from conferences to cruises to sightseeing.

I am glad your family, and you enjoyed our hotel, and our guest rooms.
Thanks again for writing a review, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

The location was perfect, as I was arriving from a cruise and wanting to see as much of the city as possible in two days. The manager (Ish), Shuttle driver (Bill) and front desk staff (especially Violet) were incredibly helpful, friendly and kind (which was greatly appreciated since I was traveling alone). I enjoyed the historic, quaint property and respect how they have done the absolute best they can with the space. The cold, filtered water on floors 4 and 6 was delicious and there are bottles of water in the frig when you arrive. The TV screen with an updated status of all of the airport departures. I didn't feel the room was too small and I loved the ventilation, bedding and bed...so comfortable. They called a cab for me and it arrived shortly after 4 am! I received two wake-up calls to help me and shuttle driver, Bill, was kind enough to take me back to the port so I could pick up my last suitcase. Ish went above and beyond to help me enjoy the city in only two days; he was professional, yet funny and charming. I loved my time there and would definitely stay there again due to the value, outstanding service and comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from ice or elevator; it worked for me.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank bradylizann
DaysInnDwntwn, General Manager at Days Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review that you wrote of our hotel! We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had pleasant encounters with all of our staff. We could not have described a perfect stay at our hotel better than you have - that is indeed our intent for all of our guests and I am so pleased that we met your expectations. Although we do have limitations being a historic property, we have done the best that we can to create an environment for our guests that is clean, comfortable and offers tremendous value. Our simple but appreciated gestures like free downtown shuttle and free bottled and filtered water are just some of the ways that we try to bring enhanced value to all of our guests. We hope you enjoyed your cruise and our charming staff look forward to welcoming you back to our charming property in the near future.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

never again will I stay in a days inn! so ok the location was great and the price for reasonable.
However, the size of the room was tiny and very outdated. Coupled with the noise of the ice machine and some nesting birds on the window sill outside, it was dreadful nights sleep!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gill851
DaysInnDwntwn, General Manager at Days Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our hotel is a European style boutique hotel located within one of Vancouver's historic heritage buildings. The size of our guest rooms reflect this. While our hotel will not appeal to all travellers, we do our best to ensure that each and every guest stay is satisfying by offering additional value added touches like complimentary bottled water, complimentary wireless internet, and a free downtown shuttle combined with our unbeatable location. It is our hope that our location, great service and other amenities will compensate for the size of our rooms. It is important to note that not all of our guest rooms are small and if you bring this issue to the attention of the front desk, we will always do our best to block you into a room that suits your needs whether that means finding a larger room or a room away from the ice machine. Unfortunately, however, we are located downtown and we cannot control Vancouver's sea gulls. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We spent a night in Vancouver after our Alaskan cruise. This hotel was very close to where the ship docked and was convenient to Gastown. The room was small, but clean and comfortable. It suited our needs just fine.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ibfinetwo

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our convenient location and comfortable guest rooms. While our rooms are on the smaller side, our great service, great location and value added touches like free wireless internet, free bottled water and a free downtown shuttle service more than make up for any inconvenience caused by the size of our guest rooms. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you on a future trip to Vancouver.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed at the Days Inn Vancouver while attending a research conference this past April and overall I was disappointed in what I was getting for as much as I had to pay. At nearly $300 per night split between 3 people, we got a shoebox of a room. Sure, wi-fi was included, but it was seriously a joke trying to sleep even TWO people in there WITHOUT the roll-away bed we requested. It's in a decent location, but even so it was just as expensive as the other hotels nearby. Also, the breakfast in the hotel was absurdly overpriced. I also had to complain because the bedding wasn't changed on my bed for two days until I said something. I got stuck with this option because the person booking our trip missed the reservations for the other available hotels. If you are willing to walk a couple extra blocks, just stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Our hotel is in a heritage building and was designed as a European boutique style hotel. The size of our guest rooms reflects this. While we certainly appreciate the discomfort this may cause some guests, we find that most of our guests are satisfied with our rooms for the short duration of their stay especially combined with our location that is unbeatable. While we do our best to block guests into a room that will satisfy their expectations, this can be a challenge when the hotel is operating at high occupancy and we have limited flexibility. But rest assured that when these issues are brought to the attention of our staff, we do the best that we can to relocate our guests to a room that is a comfortable size for their stay. In regards to housekeeping, I am very sorry for the oversight on the part of our housekeeping staff. This is certainly not a standard in our hotel and I will speak with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that this oversight does not happen in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to share your concerns with us and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hotel room was quite small but had every thing I needed. I stayed for 5 days to attend a conference. There is easy access to the conference centre 2 blocks and Pacific centre for shopping. There are laundry facilities and free WiFi . The attached restaurant was only middle quality. I liked the pancakes, scrambled eggs but the other accompaniments didn't suit me. My room faced a concrete wall but was nice and quiet. The room was cleane and serviced daily.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
DaysInnDwntwn, Owner at Days Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you, very much for your recent stay with us, and taking the time out of your busy schedule, to write a review about our hotel.
We are very pleased that you found our hotel, in a very good location for your conference, and the shopping district.
Once again thank you for staying with us, and we hope to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for three days prior to a cruise. Lobby is small, but staff is extremely helpful and friendly. A couple of blocks to Canada Place - cruise port. Hotel has a free shuttle to the port. Right on W Pender. We were able to catch a bus that went to Stanley Park. A short walk to get the bus that went directly to Granville Island. Walking distance to Chinatown, Gastown, and Robson St. There is a restaurant in the basement. We had breakfast included (to a maximum $10). Room was small but included everything needed. Our room (#615) had the view of a concrete wall, as the room was on a central light shaft. No matter, however, as we spent little time in the room, and were busy touring Vancouver. Elevator was slow, so we got up and down using the stairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of a street, rather than a concrete wall.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
DaysInnDwntwn, General Manager at Days Inn Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you, very much for your recent stay with us, and I really appreciate you taking the time out your busy schedule to write the review about our delightful hotel in a great location.

Yes I total agree with you that our Lobby is small the reason being the hotel has been here since 1918, and over the years we have renovated the hotel but unfortunately we could not make the lobby bigger.

I am very pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and very helpful, and that makes the guest feel more comfortable staying with us.

Our hotel is in the right location to stay to go sightseeing, shopping or restaurants, and any other places.

Once again thank you, very much for the review, and we hope to serve you again in the near future.