“Not a Family-Friendly Location, Small Rooms”

Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #77 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Rockville, Maryland
“Not a Family-Friendly Location, Small Rooms”
Reviewed July 30, 2006

This hotel is located on the fringe of an area containing adult [---] shows, [---] shops, and freaky discos. We were accosted several times by beggars, even while dining at a street cafe. During daytime we saw some drug users tripping on street corners. We never felt threatened but would definitely not recommend this location for travelers with children. The saving grace was the excellent pub food and breakfast we had next block at the Two Parrot pub (not the pub on the hotel premises - the music was too loud).

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank DeltaCal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Czech first
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 29, 2006

We recently spent three nights at the Howard Jojnson's in Vancouver BC. The room was small but extremely clean and neat. We were out exploring this beautiful city so the size did not matter to us. The front desk was very helpful when asked for information about the city and helped in getting us an early morning cab. "Wings", right next door, was a good place to eat breakfast. The food was good, the service a little slow. We took several tours (Land/Sea Tours) and we were picked up right in front of the hotel. The hotel is within walking district of the Davie area and a little farther walk to English Bay. Here there were many good restaurants and lots to see. We had a wonderful meal at "Stephos", a Greek restaurant nearby

The only drawback was the nightlife noise. All in all it was a good place to stay while visiting this beautiful city!

• Stayed July 2006
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2006

I contacted this hotel directly, after seeing them listed on a specific 'pet friendly' website. On their own site they claim to be pet friendly too. However, when I called to try to make a reservation for 4 adults, (my folks are coming over from England to visit, and I live in Victoria, so I'm going to meet them in Vancouver and bring them back to the island), and my dog I was told that I could only book a smoking suite. I said that none of us smoke, including the dog, but apparently dog's are only allowed in smoking suites - I find that completely offensive, and also completely non-dog friendly. My dog is less anti-social than many smokers.

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank BC-Reviewer

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

San Diego
Reviewed July 22, 2006

We booked a long weekend trip to Vancouver through Expedia and this was the best value for the location that we wanted. Had an easy time taking the city bus to the hotel (stop is only a block away). Friendly front desk staff. Interior looked recently redone and was nice. Our room was on the fourth floor towards the back of the hotel. Small room, but nice and clean - had all the amenities that we needed. Location was wonderful - we walked everywhere and I felt it was very central...short walk to Granville ferry, Yaletown, Gastown, Robson Street.

My only complaint was the nightclub that is on the first floor. It played LOUD music until 2 in the morning. Didn't bother us too much, but would probably bother most people, especially with small kids. If you're looking for a cool lounge for a drink at night I recommend 'Ginger 62' which is just one block down across the street. Also, the bar/restaurant in the lobby of the hotel ('Wings") was delicious!

We would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise at night
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham
Reviewed July 20, 2006

I came to Vancouver for a conference followed by a short holiday with my partner and stayed in this hotel for the first week. It is reasonably clean and tidy, but without dining facilities. I had to move room when I arrived because my window was overlooked by from about 6ft away by another block office; this is how close some the rooms were.
However, the worst problem was the hotel manager who was has rude and ignorant beyond imagination. He refused to return my calls, and generally made himself unavailable. We did not have the promised wireless internet access in my room as promised, which meant I could not work effectively, and we could not research and plan the rest of our stay as we would have liked. The manager claimed it was because we had a corner room.7 days into my 9 day stay we eventually got moved to a room that did have wireless nternet access, but when I confronted him with the fact he accused both me and partner lying about the lack of internet access, and became aggressive, accusing me of not being able to speak English (I am English, born and bred!).
Also, do not believe the price promise and book your stay online. They promise the best prices are on their website, but my colleague got a 40% reduction off the advertised price when he booked a week or so before.
Really, I would advise against staying here, primarily because of the Manager, (not English, you might note). While it is reasonably clean, you will not got any problems and service issues addressed satisfactorily. There is also no dining and the hotel is a seedy area, with homeless camped outside the hotel and peep shows across the street. Definately dont stay here if you are a lady travelling alone, but you might be ok if you dont expect good service and like looking at tramps and peepshows.

Stayed July 2006
5 Thank RD123
Maryland
Reviewed July 16, 2006

Most of the past reviews have touched base on the positive and negative aspects of this property. I will try to give my opinion on my 2-night stay. We stayed mid-week, so we didn't have to deal with the weekend noise.

First, let me say that most people's description of the neighborhood is accurate, however if you walk two blocks in any direction, you are pretty much out of the bad area. The only thing that you really have to deal with is agressive panhandling. Otherwise, normal street smarts will do you just fine.

The staff is really the best part about the hotel. Everyone that I spoke with (both in-person and via phone) were very nice and knowledgable. Check-in was quick and efficient, and we even received a call in our room after checking in to see if everything with the room was fine.

The room was just slightly on the small side, but not super small. The bed seemed fine to us. Extra pillows were stored in the dresser, not in the closet. As someone else mentioned, the air conditioner was part of the window, and the window had floor legnth curtains. So, you either had a dark room or a cool room, not both. As previously mentioned, wi-fi signal was weak. For a quieter room, request a room in the back of the hotel (away from the street, and less hallway traffic)

The bathroom contained all of your basic amenities, and actually contained a bit more than your standard 2* room. Amenities were replenished nightly. One thing to note was that the bathtub seemed a bit higher than a standard tub. Might be more difficult for certain people to get in and out of the tub.

The restaurant bar was nice, but not too fancy. Seemed to be perfect for the area, as it looked like it was the only regular and respectable bar. Food menu was plentiful and affordable. The staff here is very nice as well.

Parking was kind of a pain. First, like anywhere in Vancouver, you had to make sure that you left nothing in your car. Parking consisted of two lots, one on each side of the hotel. Parking was angled, but there was only one way in/out, so getting out was a little difficult.

In my opinion, if you can get this hotel for under $100, I think it it worth it.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank CFIGuy
USA
Reviewed July 1, 2006

This has to be one of the cleanest and best maintained hotels I have stayed in, regardless of class. And at around $75 CAD per night, it's a great value. My room was small but comfortable with nice new furnishing and immaculate housekeeping. If you ask for a room facing the interior you won't have a view but you wil have peace and quiet. Granville St. gets rather noisy at night with clubs catering to Vancouver's youth. The area is not at all bad and rapidly gentrifying. If you are a city person you will be more than satisfied with this location as it is convenient to everything on foot or by bus.
The only drawback here is the Wi-Fi. While it is free to use, the signal is pitifully weak. Staff told me that was true throughout the building except in the lobby area where it is only slightly stronger. In my room I was not able to hold a connection and eventually gave up trying. Not sure why the hotel invested in wi-fi if it's so dismal. If you're planning to use wi-fi, this hotel is not the place for you. Otherwise, go for it and you'll be more than satisfied.

• Stayed June 2006