“Terrible!!!!”

Ranked #78 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Belgium
“Terrible!!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We had a very bad experience staying there. Problems with the check-in, very unhelpful staff, a very bad smell all over, the airco was like 30 yrs old and didn't cool, the bathroom and the room itself were very small, and last but not least: you can hear EVERYTHING that happens in the rooms nextdoor!! Really a terrible experience, by far the worst in our 16-day stay in Canada...

• Liked — Nothing really
  • Disliked — The noise in the room from the rooms nextdoor
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank BelgianCousine
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2008
All guests are required to have valid ID and valid credit card in order to check into the Hotel. These two have to match. Hotel staff is not able to check in guests who have somebody elses credit card. In order to use somebody elses credit card, we need authorization form filled up, allowing us to use this credit card. Unfortunately we are not able to do this over the phone. Everything needs to be pre-arranged and we need that in writing. We are trying to protect ourselves as much as we are trying to protect the owner of the credit card. There are lot's of credit card scams happening and you can never be too careful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Czech first
Cheshire
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Wonderful time at this Hotel in Downtown Vancouver , the staff are excellent and cannot do enough to help, definately stay again. The Manager is very helpful and also works on reception whenever needed, EXCELLENT !!!

• Liked — Staff and Very Clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Chester, UK
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel in Downtown Vancouver twice in May, we had a wonderful time, the staff are excellent and the level of cleanliness is outstanding, the beds were very clean and lovely white sheets and pillow, the towels of which there were plenty were soft and clean, will definately stay again. The Manager is extremely helpful and is always there to make sure all is well,

• Liked — The friendlyness of all staff, the Value for money but most of all the cleanliness,
  • Disliked — Some of the other guests that refused to follow rules, but the Manager Quickly put it right
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed July 25, 2008

My husband and I travelled by train from Toronto to Vancouver and stayed in this hotel for 7 nights. We had a wonderful stay. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was spotless and we quickly became friendly with the cleaning staff. We could not have asked for a more friendly bunch of people. You are only about 2 blocks from the high-end shops and streets. For the good value we got, we certainly didn't mind walking for 3 minutes. A washer and dryer were also available for travellers which was absolutely wonderful.

The other hotels that were right in the same area (within half a block) were priced at sometimes double and more for what we got at this hotel. I was actually surprised when I saw that they were right on the same block and twice as much money.

We definitely will go back and are planning our next trip for 2009. The room was so nice that we are going to ask for the same one again.

Bravo to the hotel and cleaning staff for making our vacation so nice and relaxing.

• Liked — Cleanliness and friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We stayed at this hotel with our two teenage daughters for 3 nights. The rooms were clean and newly remodeled. I would recommend this hotel for those who want to stay downtown on a budget.

Neighborhood was a bit noisy at night because of night club district close by, but we felt safe.

• Liked — Room clean and nice beds
  • Disliked — location a bit noisy at night.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
SF Bay Area
Reviewed July 13, 2008

This hotel's location is both good & bad. The good is it really is in Vancouver's city center, so everything in the city is close at hand. The bad is that this part of Granville St. is seedy, with a lot of sketchy people wandering around. Hotel parking is limited and not supervised. The price seemed fair for a downtown hotel.

The hotel staff were not particularly friendly when I made our reservation, nor when we checked in. We had reserved a dog-friendly room. At check-in I was asked to sign the usual paperwork for having a pet. The paper stated that I would provide a kennel for my dog. I told the desk that I did not have a kennel and was not told of this requirement when I made the reservation. They did not have a kennel either, and they did not make a big deal of the requirement.

Our dog-friendly room was on the first floor above a restaurant/nightclub and a construction site in the middle of Granville St. The room itself was adequate, but if we had not had industrial-grade earplugs it would have been a nightmare.

• Liked — Centrally located.
  • Disliked — Being right above a restaurant/nighclub and major construction site.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Williams Lake, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Two words.....BED BUGS!!!! My sister and I stayed one night at this hotel while on an overnight business trip to Vancouver. We were disappointed in the overall appearance of the hotel and the front desk staff were not helpful. The morning after, I discovered small red bumps on my arms, back, and buttox. During the day they continued to swell and the next day, they were the size of a loonie with pussy centers. I go off to the doctor, who sends me to a dermatologist, who diagnoses the painful, itchy swelling as an allergic reaction to BED BUG BITES. Disgusting.. I have a call into the hotel manager who has not yet called me back and front end staff were not helpful on the phone. So save yourself time off work, expensive medications, and body pain and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — bed bugs
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank Travellots1256
Hojovan, general manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, July 21, 2008
After the guest left she phoned us and told us what happened, we called pest control company right away, but we did not find any activity or any previous activity of bed bugs in this room. Not sure where she actually stayed before or after, but she definetely did not get that here. I also have a report from the company that checked my room, please let me know where do you want me to send it to, and I will.