“Decent downtown hotel”

Ranked #78 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Chicago, Illinois
“Decent downtown hotel”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My friend and I made the last minute reservation at this hotel because it was the cheapest in downtown, but had pretty good reviews. The hotel is located in the Entertainment District (so I was explained). There are "adult" stores around the hotel, and the street smelled of urine. Surprisingly though the neighborhood was not as sketchy as I thought it would be. It is a nice walk to Stanley Park (30 min) and close to Granville skytrain station (15 min), and lots of restaurants, bars, and stores nearby.

The hotel was decent. The room was small but clean, and had everything we needed. The front desk staff was helpful. I realize that noise from streets bothered many reviewers. We stayed in a room that was facing another building (so it probably was on the quieter side of the hotel), and we kept the window open all night because the room was a bit stuffy, but noise didn't bother us. The only issue we had was the internet. In order to connect to the hotel free wi-fi, we needed to get a passcode and the code was only good for one device, so we had to call the front desk multiple times to get new codes for our 2 laptops and 2 smartphones. The connection was slow and often got disconnected.

Overall this is a pretty good place to stay at a reasonable price if you don't plan on spending long time in the hotel room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Czech first
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Location, though not central, is not very far from the best parts of town - you may need to walk 4-5 blocks to get to the most important points but that's not a lot.
Though the rooms were not luxurious, they provided what I needed - a bedroom, shower, free wi-fi, and TV with optional on demand movies.
Service was also generally very corteous.
The room smelled of uncirculated air every time I entered it - I would turn on the air conditioning and/or open the windows, for a few minutes, in order to get rid of the damp air.
They can provide gym passes for a nearby, well-equipped gym (1 block away) for a very inexpensive price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The parking is apparently the going rate of $20, but not in secure lot. The room itself is very small with two small double beds that had old lumpy pillows and mattresses. The noise from the street night life kept us up all night. The biggest issue was waking up to bed bug bites and finding the bugs in our sheets. Rate was supposed to be $180 before tax, but clerk gave us 50% off because "his manager wasn't available" and he said "they haven't had bed bugs for awhile now and we were first to report in years"?... Definitely will not recommend this hotel to anyone! Not worth it at all!!!

• Stayed August 2012

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Munich
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was another excellent layover in this Hotel which is in one of the best location downtown Vancouver.
Had a few questions regarding some shops restaurants and day trips - friendly and helpful staff at the front desk gave me all the exquisite answers .
Rooms clean and big enough - all what you need is around :soda machine ( on every level ), elevator ,breakfast restaurant and bar all inhouse .
Just perfect and then for this cheap rate - go there and find it out by ourselve

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bavarian100
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Good Points - Walking distance to CBD and handy public transport. Room clean tidy and comfortable. Staff were knowledgeable and very helpful. Represented value for money.
Bad Points - Situated in night club area.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room especially on weekends if you're not into night life.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarlnJen
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Located in Granville Street it is just a 20 minute walk from Downtown Vancouver, Gastown and the water front. First impressions is one of a slighty seedy hotel in a seedy location, but it is all part of this hotels character and charm. The area is however perfectly safe. As for the hotel itself it is definately quirky with dated decor of a bygone age including the cast iron radiators and piped sprinkler system hanging from the ceilings. Your welcome is genuine and the front of house staff most accommodating and helpful. There are no great views, back or front but the rooms are clean and the housekeeping staff were exceptional. You are one block away from a pick up point for the Hop-on,Hop-off tour bus, which is an excellent way of getting your bearings on the city and what to see. Free off street parking is next to the hotel. All in all a good experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank thepostie2010
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have a very positive experience of the Howard Johnson's Vancouver thanks to the front desk staff members Patricia Liu (sp?)and Zuzana Johnson, who were so kind, compassionate, and helpful to me in a most difficult situation. I got a call from my daughter just before evening to say that she had been wandering Vancouver for the past two days without a place to stay because her kids were really sick, so she wasn’t able to stay with the friend with whom she was supposed to bunk in with while waiting to get into her new apartment. I had company from overseas and we had little time together, so I quickly made a reservation through expedia.ca and set off to pick up my stranded daughter and granddaughters. When we got to the hotel, around 9:00-9:30, I think, Patricia and Zuzana initially couldn’t find my reservation because I had no itinerary number, only a reservation number. I hadn’t anticipated problems and thought the latter would be sufficient. When Patricia and Zuzana did eventually find the reservatin, they said it was for the next night. I was extremely tired and stressed myself by then, but they helped me contact expedia and kept helping for what seemed an age but may have been as little as a half hour until I was able to get the reservation changed to the right night and, with Patricia’s and Zuzana’s crucial help, the change fee waived. Then when I had to go out for medicine for my feverish granddaughter,these two women located three all night pharmacies and called two to try to help me locate one that had the medicine I needed. Because of how these two women represented the hotel, I would recommend it to anyone in need of a place to stay in Vancouver if that person needed clean, comfortable, reasonably priced accommodation in the downtown Granville and Davey area and thoughtful service was important to that person. The staff sure helped my family when we were in distress.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family