“Less Than Overwhelmed”

Book In Advance
More Info
$18.05*
and up
Skip the Line: Vancouver Art Gallery Admission with Optional Early Access and...
Ranked #52 of 348 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Located just steps from vibrant Robson Street in downtown Vancouver, the Vancouver Art Gallery offers the city's top cultural experience featuring four floors of historical and contemporary art. Enhance your experience by relaxing in the locally-loved Gallery Cafe and enjoying the beautiful Gallery Store. The Gallery is closed December 25th and 31st anually and on April 20th, 2015.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Texas
338 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,686 helpful votes
“Less Than Overwhelmed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Vancouver Art Gallery (VAG), established in the early 1930s, is located in an impressive building, the former main courthouse for Vancouver. During our visit the first two floors were closed due to renovations, and all we saw was the third and fourth floors, which had some exhibits that where not particular appealing to us. There are few exhibits for a lot of space. We actually found the gift shop on the ground floor more interesting than the exhibits. Unlike other sites in Vancouver, the VAG was a disappointment. In its current form it is not worth the price of admission. Photographs are not allowed.

1 Thank CJTravelerTexas

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Expensive and very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We visited this museum today. It was explained that two floors were closed for refurbishment. It might have been better if the whole place was closed. There is a saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder so perhaps some people find the "art" on display interesting and inspiring. We certainly did not and were tempted to ask for a refund!

2 Thank Liz M
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

You paid 10 dollars and I was in and out in 15 minutes. The queue was not big but waiting was caused by one person on the till and not at all moving it on. Get in and it was the worst gallery I have seen - nothing if any relevance just odd things put together and I found seeing the workman creating the next event more interesting.

I could have gone to the local school and seen better!

1 Thank danielson36
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I hesitate to criticize since we got there the day after an exhibition was concluded and was being dismantled. We saw only the top two floors. There were "modern art" videos on the top floor which were bewildering at best--not sure how they could possibly be called art. The third floor was very diverse but had plenty of empty spaces. I wouldn't go back even if there was an exhibition on the bottom floors.

2 Thank Linda C
Sarasota, Florida
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Disappointment is an understatment!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Pros: Location, Photo Booth, and my mom got a senior discount and I got a student discount (so didn't have to waste as much money)

Cons: Where do I begin??, I would say everything else

I know this is probably a very harsh review, but I want to be honest. This was our first real trip to Vancouver to explore and my mom LOVES art. So we thought this would be an amazing place to visit. Boy were we wrong. I want to make sure you know that my mom is an interior decorator, and loves all types of art. I want to agree with some of the other reviewers by saying there was too much empty wall space and very few exhibitions, and really nothing that was worth our time. I feel that this could be an amazing gem if they work on it. The building is amazing architecture, and if they could only get the exhibitions to rival that, they will be in business.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Natalie S
faye b, Tourism Marketing Manager at Vancouver Art Gallery, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

The Vancouver Art Gallery has an ever-changing selection of exhibits, so I would encourage you to come back again to experience a range of artists' presentations. We are going through a transition period right now while the Grand Hotel exhibit closes and we prepare the gallery space for the first major survey of Charles Edenshaw’s work (recognized in his time as an exceptional Haida artist and an iconic figure in Northwest Coast art).

2014 will be a fantastic year with exhibitions showcasing the work of Emily Carr, Lawren Harris, Myfanwy MacLeod, Edward Burtynsky and Douglas Coupland. I hope you come back and see the Gallery transformed.

Thank you for your patience during this transition period.

Many thanks,