“Horrible”

and up
Vancouver Art Walking Tour: Yaletown and Granville Island Including Ferry Ride
Ranked #52 of 359 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Located just steps from vibrant Robson Street in downtown Vancouver, the Vancouver Art Gallery offers the city's top cultural experience featuring four floors of historical and contemporary art. Enhance your experience by relaxing in the locally-loved Gallery Cafe and enjoying the beautiful Gallery Store. The Gallery is closed December 25th and 31st anually and on April 20th, 2015.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

You paid 10 dollars and I was in and out in 15 minutes. The queue was not big but waiting was caused by one person on the till and not at all moving it on. Get in and it was the worst gallery I have seen - nothing if any relevance just odd things put together and I found seeing the workman creating the next event more interesting.

I could have gone to the local school and seen better!

1  Thank danielson36

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I hesitate to criticize since we got there the day after an exhibition was concluded and was being dismantled. We saw only the top two floors. There were "modern art" videos on the top floor which were bewildering at best--not sure how they could possibly be called art. The third floor was very diverse but had plenty of empty spaces. I wouldn't go back even if there was an exhibition on the bottom floors.

2  Thank Linda C
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Pros: Location, Photo Booth, and my mom got a senior discount and I got a student discount (so didn't have to waste as much money)

Cons: Where do I begin??, I would say everything else

I know this is probably a very harsh review, but I want to be honest. This was our first real trip to Vancouver to explore and my mom LOVES art. So we thought this would be an amazing place to visit. Boy were we wrong. I want to make sure you know that my mom is an interior decorator, and loves all types of art. I want to agree with some of the other reviewers by saying there was too much empty wall space and very few exhibitions, and really nothing that was worth our time. I feel that this could be an amazing gem if they work on it. The building is amazing architecture, and if they could only get the exhibitions to rival that, they will be in business.

3  Thank Natalie S
faye b, Tourism Marketing Manager at Vancouver Art Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

The Vancouver Art Gallery has an ever-changing selection of exhibits, so I would encourage you to come back again to experience a range of artists' presentations. We are going through a transition period right now while the Grand Hotel exhibit closes and we prepare the gallery space for the first major survey of Charles Edenshaw’s work (recognized in his time as an exceptional Haida artist and an iconic figure in Northwest Coast art).

2014 will be a fantastic year with exhibitions showcasing the work of Emily Carr, Lawren Harris, Myfanwy MacLeod, Edward Burtynsky and Douglas Coupland. I hope you come back and see the Gallery transformed.

Thank you for your patience during this transition period.

Many thanks,

Gillian

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I think the curator should take note of all the adverse comments on this portal!! I would agree with other writers that the building itself is very beautiful and strategically placed for the city just off Burrard St. The entrance was at the back of the building which can confuse people with no sign at the front to say so. Once inside having paid a hefty fee, we took the lift to the top floor.
There were some interesting paintings by Emily Carr and other local artists and there was an interesting very large sculpture in progress of being worked complete with trestle table and materials awaiting the artist to carry on. Moving on to the next floor down, we were very disappointed as it consisted of various videos and modern exhibits. One of the videos showed a man who was filmed for six hours looking very depressed and doing virtually nothing. In fact these so-called artists resembled the mental health patients I have worked with. It is not what I would call art and was very depressing to watch these obviously sad people. Moving on to the next floor, I was pleased to see some interesting modern works - sculptures of fantasy ideas but well executed - they had explanations and at least these were meaningful. The second floor however was the Hotel one. I had been looking forward to this exhibition but was bitterly disappointed. It was huge with nowhere, unlike other floors, for one to sit and rest occasionally! It was also the largest section of the gallery!
There was too much writing and as a consequence I was very tired when we finished. Because of the depth of the material on display, we became saturated and not pleasantly so. We moved down to the ground floor where there were some Dutch masters of the old school but we were so tired by then that we didn't appreciate them. They sat at odds with the rest of the gallery most of which was either modern art or native art. We felt all in all that it was trying to please too many people with diverse subjects and as a consequence has lost its identify. It would be far better if the Curator takes a long hard look at other major galleries and decides what she wants to specialise in - either modern art or old masters and define its identity. Both modern and old could be combined in a chronological order but even this was not the case. Like most people, I came away hugely disappointed especially as we had left this to our final day and were looking forward to it. We didn't even stay to sample any food as we wanted to get away to a more pleasant place to raise our spirits and in any case anticipated an expensive meal if the entrance fee was anything to go by.

2  Thank rondonel
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We saw the Grand hotel and Dutch Old Masters exhibitions. The space was large, and the main exhibit was that devoted to the theme of the Grand Hotel. here was too much written material. That may have been why we found it hard to see the central theme of the exhibition. We would have liked to see some of the permanent collection but it was not on show. And we would have bought some postcard reproductions of the Old Masters but the selection was very poor. The cafe was good and value for money and we did have a pleasant lunch there.

1  Thank Pandorasbox4950