“One of Vancouver's best treasures”

Vancouver Art Gallery
and up
Skip the Line: Vancouver Art Gallery Admission
Ranked #48 of 359 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Located just steps from vibrant Robson Street in downtown Vancouver, the Vancouver Art Gallery offers the city's top cultural experience featuring four floors of historical and contemporary art. Enhance your experience by relaxing in the locally-loved Gallery Cafe and enjoying the beautiful Gallery Store. The Gallery is closed December 25th and 31st anually and on April 20th, 2015.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I am never disappointed with a trip to the Van Art Gallery. Their international masters exhibitions have been incredible over the last 10 years. They continue to exhibit cutting edge contemporary artists that challenge our intellect and call on us to reflect on culture and humanity. I never tire of the Emily Carr exhibitions. They constantly re-present her work in new contexts or in contrast/context with other artists. The Gallery is truly one of Vancouver's best treasures.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The day we were there 2 of the 4 floors were closed, which turned out to be a good thing.
The Emily Carr exhibit was the only thing we could consider art.
7 photos of the same building taken each day for a week?
30 photos of the same face,making slightly different expressions?
An entire wall of old newspaper clippings?
This is not what we consider art, if it appeals to you, enjoy.

2  Thank momacn
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is the absolutely worst art museum I have ever visited in my 57 years here on planet Earth and thank God that I went on donation night! Disappointed when I read online that I couldn't take any pictures (non-flash pictures have been ok in some art galleries I've visited - actually there is nothing here that would deserve taking a picture). Maybe they are fearfull that others would see pictures of the junk.

Good art doesn't need to have it explained at length; I still did not get any of the garbage they have exhibited.

Don't waste your time and if you if must, go on donation night (Tuesday 5-9PM) and donate a penny or two if you must.

6  Thank BrockDaBadger
Reviewed October 21, 2012

October 21, 2012: It has been a privilege to visit (and enjoy) art museums around the world for several decades. The only time I have been disappointed to view art was today. We traveled from Vancouver Island to visit the advertised Emily Carr exhibit at VAG, only to view one wall (of four) in a moderate-sized room exhibiting Emily Carr. Otherwise, only half of the museum was available for viewing, with all available rooms primarily showing unknown modern artists with no historical legacy.

When we entered the museum we laughed at the large "no admission refunds" sign. Now, we understand the need for this sign. Indeed, it was the only time I wanted to retrace my steps and to not enter an art museum. Furthermore, we felt the announced Emily Carr exhibit was misleading, even a "bait and switch" to attract tourists to the exhibit. VAG is certainly not a destination-worthy museum. Vancouver is a city that deserves a major-league art museum, not a tourist trap.

1  Thank Amrita A
Reviewed October 17, 2012

For a modern, world class city the art gallery is a sad reflection of the indifference to art in British Columbia. If I were reviewing sport it would be a different story. The gallery is evolving but has a long way to go. It's not worth the pricey entrance fee. However, they do occasionally put on a good exhibition but its the exception, not the rule. I sincerely hope they find their way, and that the city begins to recognize the importance of investing in good art.

3  Thank SharonTH