“Ups and Downs”

Windsor Guest House
Ranked #14 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed here for 5 days. Location was great; near a business district with lots of restaurants (Asian, Greek, Irish, etc.) and easy access to bridges to downtown and beyond. Quiet and easy walking to shops. Our rooms were clean and the staff was very helpful and accommodating. The downside was the vegetarian breakfast (eggs, French toast, pancakes, cereal and milk). One teenage son was particularly unhappy that there was no bacon, sausage, etc. The website does not mention this, so it came as a surprise to us. We might have re-considered staying there had we know this. Aslo, they could stnad to replace the towels; ours were very thin and small.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed March 29, 2009

My husband and I quite enjoyed our long weekend stay at Windsor House. The staff were very friendly, and the atmosphere was relaxed, not stuffy. The charming, but basic, room provided a great base for exploring the city on foot. Our small room had a firm bed, night stands, armchair, wardrobe, and a TV. The shared bathroom was clean and never busy.

Nearby we found some of the best inexpensive restaurants in town. Our favorites included great Indian food, and a wonderful noodle house serving fresh, homemade noodles. Budget travelers and people looking for something more upscale can find options within walking distance. Also nearby were groceries and drug stores.

This B & B provides a comfortable atmosphere, in a very convenient location, for a reasonable price. However, as is the case in most old houses, sound can travel - so people looking for privacy should be prepared to be quiet, and light sleepers might consider earplugs.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Windor's location was ok - near shops, resturant and city hall in the downtown area. We only took this location because we couldn't get a place on the island. This B&B was ran by in-house staff not owner (who lived somewhere else and ran a number of other B&Bs). Upon entering the house (arrived after 3:00 p.m. and an envelope was tape to the door with our keys) it smelled overwhelmingly of fried bacon and old grease. Luckly the weather was great and we could open the windows to air the place out. The furnishing was a mish mashed and looked like it was picked up in old antique shops and not lovingly cared for. Breakfast was just ok but I noticed that they purchased the cheapest ingredents to serve e.g. the maple syrup bottles were recycled and they pulled out a huge gallon bottle of inexpensive syrup to fill the recycled bottles. The room was clean but the headboard wasn't attached to the bed so we had to be careful not to move the bed to hard otherwise we would bang the walls with the headboard.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank hpisles
Reviewed November 14, 2007

I stayed at this guest house with my boyfriend on a short vacation. The house is very pretty and in a quiet, safe neighborhood. The staff was not there when we arrived, but our key was left for us with a note. The next morning, the person who cooked us breakfast (the owner?) was very friendly and helpful when I did not have my booking-confirmation with me. I enjoyed the french toast and fresh fruit. The bread might have been homemade. In any case, it was very good!

The one draw back was that we could feel the springs in our mattress. We went for the cheapest room which was FAR cheaper than anything else we could find in Vancouver. Maybe the rooms you pay more for have better beds (?). Still, I cannot complain for the price. Oh, and bring your own soap and shampoo as it may not be in your shared bathroom. This 3rd floor room had very cute windows and felt like sleeping up in a treehouse!

There are restaurants in walking distance. I highly reccommend the edge cafe on Yukon street. We had a fabulous dinner there.

To get downtown, we walked to the aquabus and then took the bus on the way back. It worked out really well for us.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2007

Good: location can't be beat, breakfast was wonderful (especially the french toast), price -- Vancouver is very expensive

Not so good: the rooms -- cold and clammy, no way to turn up the heat; housekeeping -- room wasn't cleaned or towels refreshed, carpet could use a good wash; bugs -- dead and live, I got some kind of bite, not good!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank JimiHSeattleWA
Reviewed March 19, 2007

I stayed at the BB for a family event. For the first night I stayed in one of the rooms on the lower level which is in reality a basement. In that room (Henry Room) the beds were so horrible that neither of us slept. The management responded to our complaint by saying that everyone has different preferences for beds.

Subsequent to that night I stayed in the Elizabeth room which was fantastic. It was big, bright and airy. For the cost of the room and the very convenient location, I would recommend it to anyone.

The breakfast was fantastic and the Filipino lady who was cooking was an absolute laugh. We rented out every room in the house and they really accomodated our needs in terms of breakfast times and check out times.

I would have given a higher rating if not for my first night in the Henry Room.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank apriltrip2007
Reviewed December 10, 2005

The Windsor is well-located and relatively inexpensive. The rooms are good sized. The breakfast has many options and is hearty (although it starts a little late - 8:00 am). However, similar to another's comments, there was black mildew growing in all of the tile joints in the shower stall, and this gave off a terrible smell. When I mentioned this, we were promptly offered another room, which we accepted. I was surprised to see this mildew; because of the previous comments, I had called ahead and inquired about the comment and was assured that this was just a grumpy person and indeed their B&B was clean! The Windson is OK, but if cleanliness is important like it is to us, I would recommend another place. Be careful, there is a three-day cancellation policy here!

Stayed: December 2005