“Cozy B&B in Central Vancouver”

Windsor Guest House
Ranked #16 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had an excellent stay at the Windsor Guest House in Jan 2014. The Diana room was clean, quiet and comfortable, at an affordable price. The breakfast was excellent and made to order, and was a great way to start the day. The location was very convenient- close to the skytrain, VGH and downtown. Leslie was very friendly and helpful. I look forward to the opportunity to visit in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Sarah P

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the Windsor House with another couple recently. We'd found it on line, and when we called, my wife immediately fell in love with the proprietor. She is such an interesting and friendly person that we didn't hesitate. And..it was very reasonable.

I don't know Vancouver that well, but the B and B seemed to be in a convenient part of the city. A metro stop is nearby and there is a lot of convenient shopping very close. It is by no means downtown, but everything is within easy reach.

Our room was comfortable and clean...small but everything we needed was there. Towels were changed daily..and the sheets would have been if we'd not told them that was unnecessary.

I have to say that the breakfasts here are the best we've ever had in any B and B anywhere. There is a lovely woman cooking who takes orders for omelets (wonderful), eggs any style, waffles, pancakes..almost anything and it's all delicious. There are fresh fruit, cereals and good breads available as well. This is just plain good cooking. They don't start breakfast until 8 A.M. and we're earlier birds than that, but they were happy to set up the coffee pot so that early risers could turn it on and have coffee early. That was great for us. Ice for drinks is available all the time. The kitchen is pretty much available as needed.

As usual, we met very nice people here. There is a parlor with a computer where people gather at all times and we had a very good time. (The free wi-fi is good) As I've said, the proprietor, Leslie, hangs out there a good bit of the time and she is just delightful. Her restaurant recommendations were great and she is a great source of information about transit and almost anything else.

Another very comforting thing happened. Fairly late at night we locked ourselves out of our room (I know...pretty hard to do, but we managed) and were at a loss. Nobody was around. However, there is a phone number posted outside and we called hoping to find someone. One of the employees was at the house in 10 minutes to let us in. She was remarkably kind and helpful.

As you can tell, we really like this place and will go back again without hesitation. One heads up for anyone who goes. There is one room in the place without a bath in the room. It's called the Library Room and is on the main floor just opposite the parlor. There is a bath dedicated to that room just down the hall, but that wouldn't do for old folks...or most of us, I think. Just avoid that room and everything else is great.

Room Tip: Avoid the Library Room on the main floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OldGuyPete
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were on holiday for two nights and stayed in the Victoria room. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was excellent with freshly prepared omelets and french toast. Room was comfortable and clean. We stayed in October so the house wasn't fully booked. Two minor issues were the printer didn't work on the computer and a light blank wasn't in the room. Other than that, an excellent experience.

Room Tip: Turn off the radiator valve if the room is too hot.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erick H
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I wish I could give this Bed and Breakfast a 4.8, rather than a 4, because it was very, very close to perfect. We would stay again in a heartbeat (and hope to soon). The location is great....a couple of blocks from the SkyTrain station, as well as some very good restaurants. Although only a couple of blocks away from a bustling, busy commercial area, the house is located on a beautiful, quiet, residential street. The street is full of stately old homes, and is a lovely walk in itself. You can actually walk to the downtown area, a few more blocks right across the Cambie Bridge, although it is more of a hike (still very doable...we are in our 60's and managed it fine). We came back after dark, and never felt unsafe. We (two couples) had the Mary and Elizabeth rooms. They were modern, cheerful, and overlooked the street. They both have ensuite baths. However, if you have the choice between the two, I would suggest the Elizabeth. Both have very small bathrooms with the sink outside in the bedroom. However, the Elizabeth room has the sink immediately next to the bath. The Mary Room, however, has the sink in the complete opposite corner of the room, which means a trip AROUND the bed...not a big deal, unless you are like me, and have to get up several times a night....which woke my husband as I stumbled in the dark around the bed. One strange thing, that has been mentioned before, was that the windows had no screens. It was lovely to have the fresh air (the weather was lovely while we were there), and we never had any problems with insects, but I still wondered about that. I wanted to ask Leslie, but she was apparently busy with other plans while we were there....she spent much time with us upon or arrival, explaining the city and giving us ideas. Unfortunately, after that, we only saw her once, as she walked by during breakfast one morning. I will say that she and I communicated by email several times prior to our stay, and she was very helpful each time. The breakfasts were very good: pancakes, eggs, french toast, etc. The eating area is rather crowded; small for the amount of people staying there (I believe there are 11 rooms, and they were all full...which I guess is a testament to how nice Windsor House is). In fact, while we were eating, we would see other guests peeking in to see if there was a seat for breakfast yet. This made our breakfasts more hurried than we would have liked. The food was very good, cooked to order. The price for this Bed and Breakfast was much less than others we looked at. It actually is a great bargain in a very expensive city. We are looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Both the Mary and Elizabeth rooms are bright and cheerful looking with a lovely view of the street...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bcbcbc
globetrottinggran, Manager at Windsor Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

It was such a delight to read your wonderful thorough review of the Windsor House, and I just wanted to apologize for not being available during your whole stay. I really wanted too, but when your mother known in our family as , she who must be obeyed, calls, you drop and run. She is 91 and we make sure that we never miss an opportunity to check in on her, over on Vancouver Island.

Your comments on the kitchen are correct, it is quite cosy ! and usually our full houses are during the summer, when we can seat some of our guests on the sundeck .

And regarding the placement of the sinks in our bedrooms, with heritage houses, plumbing is always a challenge, as the walls are not hollow, so our owner/restorer did the best he could to add all the amenities without ruining the beautiful bones of our 110 year old building.

Thank you for being such good sports during your stay, and hope you will come again sometime.
Sincerely
Leslie Lewington

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We recently spent two nights at the Windsor with a family member who was appearing at a local comedy club. We actually had two different rooms due to a conflict in reservations but it was no problem. The first night was in the Victoria room and the second in the Library room. Both beds were really comfortable. We also made friends with some American visitors which probably would not have happened in an hotel. Breakfasts were great, omelettes cooked to order and as much toast as you could eat. From now on, it will be the Windsor house whenever we have to stay in Vancouver.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alan P

We are so lucky to live in a neighborhood with a comedy club of Yuk Yuks caliber, and have had the joy of hosting some of their entertainers, it is a win win for our staff, and guests.
I hope we will be hosting your daughter and you folks again soon.
I cant remember when we last got to share, so many laughs.
Sincerely
Leslie Lewington manager

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here on my brief visit form England with my uncle and cousin for my other cousin's wedding. It was my Uncle's recommendation as he has used it several times before.
Leslie was definitely the hostess with mostest! She took phone calls and fielded all our requests with ease - felt like a member of the extended family by the end and was really very kind and helpful.
Rooms comfortable and good breakfasts. Great to have wireless internet. Only thing missing was a few decent hair driers...but Lesley did her best to find one for me as the one there was, was already in use,...though to be honest it wasn't up to much so would suggest a small investment here for us girls. Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joandgraham
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here at the end of August and it was just stunning. I had the Edward room on the top floor and Leslie had one of the male guests carry my heavy bag upstairs for me and I was given a glass of cold orange juice. The house is picture perfect and beautifully maintained inside and out. My room even though smaller was clean and comfortable, the best night's sleep I'd had in a while. Breakfasts were amazing, Leslie is a great cook and makes sure you don't leave the house hungry. Close to transport to get into Vancouver on either Skytrain or bus.

Room Tip: If you're a solo traveler the Edward room on the top floor is adorable, shared bathroom but it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo