“Big disappointment”

Ranked #60 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Seattle, Washington
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I chose to stay here for the weekend solely based off of the fact that their pool was open 24 hours a day. When my group and I arrived to the location, we were told that the pool was not going to be open for 24 hours a day (which went against their advertisement) and we were promised free parking for the days we spent there in consolation for not being able to use the pool. When it came to check out we asked for our free parking and the person checking us out dismissed it completely and didn't even bother explaining.
I will be sure to not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Howerbia09
Kris S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Good day Howerbia09,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I appreciate that our decision to close the pool early was an inconvenience, but it was a health and safety decision that we had to honour. Speaking of honour, I am disappointed to hear that we offered complimentary parking and then did not deliver.

I welcome you to contact me directly so that we can resolve this privately.

Kris Szylowski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Great location, nice rooms and good service. The bar and food in the lobby is good also. Only negative is no fridge in the room. The wifi works well and the pool is worth a visit too. Would definately stay again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hello again rainsie,

Funny running into you on this forum :)
As mentioned on our other site, I wanted to thank you for your great feedback and welcome you to keep spreading the word!

See you next time,

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Newly renovated rooms enhance the outstanding service here! Friendly staff are always ready to give a hand and even remember your name!
Large desks are convenient for work, fitness facility and pool available, as is room service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hi there RNyhan,

I am thrilled to read about your positive feedback for our property! Thank you for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Cheers,

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This is a great/handy location... walkable to downtown restaurants and bars and plenty of places to get a good massage locally if you need one (there is a place right across the street that we used that was particularly good (West Coast Forest Spa).

The staff were supremely helpful... the bed was comfy and (for a city) the rooms were not too noisy.

Overall, very happy and would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello floridabrits,

I enjoyed reading about your great experience with us! It sounds like between our team, and our location you were able to enjoy Vancouver the way it is meant to feel!
I hope we can welcome you back when you come return up North to us next time.

Be well,

B.C.
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the second time last weekend and again found it to be a very comfortable, clean, and economical hotel that doesn't feel like a budget or no frills place. Our room was cozy and clean, with great beds. We were on the fourth floor, directly across from the elevator (which I DON'T recommend!) so it got a bit loud later in the evening, but nothing too serious. Just avoid if you want a quieter room.
The location is great, just a few blocks from the Art Gallery, Robson St. And all the great shops, restaurants and theatres that Vancouver has to offer. We were in town for a show and were walking distance from the Theatre.
My only disappointment with the hotel was the pool. I booked with them specifically because they had a pool and my 9 year old granddaughter loves to swim. When we checked in we were told the pool was closed for maintenance. They did have another pool available to us, but it was a fifteen minute walk away on a very cold day, so we didn't bother. I appreciate that they did the best they could, and pools need maintenance, but it was a disappointment. On our previous visit a few years ago, we had lots of fun swimming in the pool, so I know it's a good one. Small, but good. All in all, I would recommend this hotel as a good option for families, singles, couples, or anyone who wants an economical place to enjoy Vancouver.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hello dsnewtime,

Thank you for sharing your great story with us! I am glad to hear that our location was able to touch on all the venues you wanted to visit!

If you would be so kind as to apologize to your daughter on behalf of myself and the whole Holiday Inn Family. I know first hand the value of a pool for children to play in and I am sorry that the pool was not available. Rest assured, annual maintenance is done for the foreseeable future, so I hope we can make it up to her next time!

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel a couple years ago and wanted to stay here again because it's a great location and to our surprise they have made some great changes to the hotel since then. All very modern looking now with the same great comforts you expect. I love the bed and pillows, so comfy. The front desk staff were very helpful and had some great recommendations for dinner, try out the fish shack if you can (yum), and the concierge was so helpful with finding some things to see while we were there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank S K
Tanner T, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Good day S K,

Welcome back and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts from your recent visit. It is great to know that the renovations made an impression and that you enjoyed yourself. I will be pleased to pass along to the staff your kind words about their service.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Vancouver

Best regards,

Tanner
Port Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I booked a night at this hotel through Hotwire.com and stayed a night. It was okay. A month later I got a charge of $241.14 on my Visa from the hotel. I told them I paid for the room. The accountant said they charged for room damage. I left the hotel in good condition and no damage was done. I was never notified of any problem. Someone just decided to charge my card without authorization. Severely, unethical business practices. Better Business Bureau contacted and other avenues being considered.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 444love2travel
Tanner T, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Good day,

At your convenience please contact our General Manager, Kris Szylowski at kris@hivancouverdowntown.com. He has tried contacting you to discuss the nature of the charges. When you inquired on Friday regarding the charges we advised we would look into the specifics of them and get back to you. Kris will be happy to discuss this matter with you.

Tanner

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels