“would not stay again”

Ranked #57 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Penticton, Canada
“would not stay again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Not only was this hotel overly expensive, but our room was small and cramped as well as dirty. The parking garage was dark and very hard to maneuver a vehicle in. The second day we found bug bites and there were bugs in our bed. I called the front desk and asked to have my bedding stripped and new bedding put in and it took 3 hours before they did that for us. I had to call them 3 more times before the person came with our new sheets. Our key cards never worked and we had to get someone to let us in our room everytime we returned. The final price for the room was well over what we were quoted after all the fees and taxes incurred by this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tanner T, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Good day nicole g,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. I can assure you we take any comment about bugs very seriously and have had the room inspected and have found no evidence of activity in the room. I would be happy to review your bill with you and can be reached at tanner@hivancouverdowntown.com.

Tanner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Overall this hotel was expensive for just a 5 night stay. But location wise perfect for ease of access to downtown.

Rooms were clean and newly renovated to a high standard. We stayed in a 2 roomed suite 2nd room was sparsely furnished : twin bed with trundle sleeper underneath and lamp in corner nothing else in room.

Hotel layout is also slightly confusing as lobby elevators did not lead to our part of hotel we had to use different set of elevators on 2nd floor to reach our room.

Parking is also extra change daily and our keycard for parking lot rarely worked.
keycard was also hit and miss for access to our room.

Breakfast was not included in our room rate.

While it was an expensive stay I would probably use hotel again purely for location if staying in Vancouver.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Good day AndrayaD,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback from your recent stay. I am pleased you were able to enjoy the convenient location of the property. I am sorry the confusing layout. We have added additional wayfinding signage and plan on adding on some more to better assist some of the additional corridor areas.
Hopefully we will see you again when you are next visiting Vancouver.

Warm regards,

Newport Beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Don't take any room at first floor. there is no easy access.. The parking was very dirty for the two days I was there , birds made my car so dirty and the hotel charged me excessively to use the parking as a guest!!! .charges and fees was very unreasonable. Overall it cost me $200 per night for queen size bed. The restaurant food was awful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear TripMasterr,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is what you would expect from a Holiday Inn. It was a good location and a nice walk to English Bay Beach down Davie Street. We stayed in an executive king with a sofa bed. It was newly appointed with a sleek look. There were some nice touches. The headboard had articulated spot reading lights on both sides. The WC & tub were separate from the sink allowing two to get ready at the same time. The balcony was tiny but it was commensurate to the price point. The real problem that we encountered was the WiFi connection. It was unstable and problematic the entire 5 days. At the front desk Wei provided invaluable service and went above & beyond what you would expect from a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: I didn't see the standard rooms but judging from the other reviews it really is worth it to get...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Good day KristoferRobin,

I am pleased you enjoyed your recent visit to the Holiday Inn. We will pass along your kind words to Wei. He is a great asset to our team and will be pleased that you noted him.
We look forward to your next visit.

Madeira Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were happy with this location. The Hop on Hop Off bus stop was across the street from the hotel which was very convenient and gave us a good overview of the city and what things we could walk to.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, especially in the restaurant.

The cost was competitive for the location and what they had to offer.

We will stay here again when we come back.

• Stayed June 2013
Arvada, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Holiday Inn and Suites

This place is clean.
 Getting action to prevent exited adolescents banging doors all night was a complete failure. The manager did ring back when we were out for the evening, the red flashing light I indicated a message - but I was supposed to know to dial 5 to get the message. It said to press the flashing button. I did - nothing happened. This 5  may well be standard procedure in all phones - I just don't know. Late at night having had a drink - maybe I was not too concise in button pushing. Same result come morning though.
There is a free Internet. I love the concept and have complained at many hotels at having to pay for internet.  Put the cost on the rooms. Somebody pays - nothing is free and most hotel guests need internet connection. BUT even in India, the service was  faster then at this Holiday Inn - So, if you NEED Internet - skip this place. I gave up trying to send on mail or facebook and am typing this on "notes" for future use. I also dislike being knocked off line, asked to sigh in again and having to see every five to ten minutes, corporate appeals to book again. Well yes - I will when hell freezes over.
Maybe the whole Canadian system is slow? I just don't know.
Men only section -  do you remember  toilets that  cooled your dingle dangle  because they were very shallow at the front - I mean the porcelain bowl - ?  In my case - maybe not so shallow ( weak joke) but I struck cold. I had forgotten about this possibility. Maybe it's a Canadian thing -  These must very old toilets - or maybe it's standard design in Canada - I just don't know.
 Hand wash  basins are height positioned from the old days. Far too low.
The heat control in the bath / shower was reversed. Staying at different hotels, I always make sure I'm clear before freezing or scalding myself.
All in all -  small problems that start to wear on you. Nothing terrible - just silly little things.
Internet - very, very slow. Every five ten minutes, sign in again. It's 4.40 in the morning. Maybe I can send this report without again being cut off.
Noise from door banging very late at night or early morning - I slept through it - my wife didn't. Afternoon door banging as well - I had complained earlier in the day. No action from staff. I thought of intervening myself but felt it best not to. A semi naked man demanding that "you shut the heck up" might have had alternative results. These were teenage girls rushing from one room to another, I might have given them Holiday inn and suites
Holiday inn and suites

This place is clean.
 Getting action to prevent exited adolescents banging doors all night was a complete failure. The manager did ring back when we were out for the evening, the red flashing light I indicated a message - but I was supposed to know to dial 5 to get the message. It said to press the flashing button. I did - nothing happened. This  may well be standard procedure in all phones - I just don't know.
There is a free Internet. I love the concept and have complained at many hotels at having to pay for internet.  Put the cost on the rooms. Nothing is free - somebody pay and most hotel guests need internet connection. BUT even in India, the service was  faster then at this Holiday Inn - So if you NEED Internet - skip this place., I gave up trying to send on mail or facebook and am typing this on "notes" for future use. I also dislike being knocked off line, asked to sigh in again and having to see every five to ten minutes, corporate appeals to book again. Well yes - I will when hell freezes over.
Maybe the whole Canadian system is slow? I just don't know.
Men only section!  Do you remember  toilets that  cooled your dingle dangle  because they were very shallow at the front?  In my case - maybe not so shallow ( weak joke) but I struck cold. I had forgotten about this possibility. Maybe it's a Canadian thing -  These must very old toilets - or maybe it's standard design in Canada - I just don't know.
 Hand wash  basins are height positioned from the old days. Far too low.
The heat control in the bath / shower was reversed. Staying at different hotels, I always make sure I'm clear before freezing or scalding myself but it took a little while.
All in all -  small problems that start to wear on you.
Internet - very, very slow. Every five ten minutes, sign in again.
Noise from door banging very late at night or early morning - I slept through it - my wife didn't. Afternoon door banging as well - I had complained earlier in the day. No action from staff. I thought of intervening myself but felt it best not to. A semi naked man demanding that "you shut the heck up" might have had alternative results. Silly teenage girls might have had psychosis for many years if an old bearded white haired man had screamed at them.

There was a  hold up in the elevator.  Woman in wheelchair waiting. Luggage cart waiting. Elevator stopping but full. Decided to use the stairs. At the bottom it says "alarm will sound if opened" so back up to the THIRD floor as requested?
I have a false knee. This is becoming tiresome. Leave through door. No alarm.
About time this hotel or chain instigate some quality control that has somebody like me - a moderately  regular hotel user - staying in rooms and then checking and using all the other facilities - not as a manager but as a guest and that might discourage reports such this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geoffthebeer
Tanner T, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Good day Geoffthebeer,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a thorough review of the property. I apologize that the internet in your room was causing so many issues for you. There seems to some details overall in this room that need better tending to. If you do not mind at your convenience emailing me, tanner@hivancouverdowntown.com, with some details, room number if you have it, so we have these matters remedied. On the positive side we are currently working on our signage throughout the property which will better help our guests navigates the sometimes long corridors and elevator areas.

Again thank you for your feedback as we appreciate the opportunity to improve.

Yours in hospitality,

Chicago, Illniois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is almost... clean enough, close enough, perfect enough.

The lobby is great, the location is pretty good (just a few seedy people late that make you not want to walk right by the hotel), and the rooms appear to be really nice upon first look. But they just seem to be not as clean and little worn. We were only there one night so it was fine for us, and even longer it would be fine, it just was missing that one thing.

The concierge we encountered (a woman) was okay, but the front desk was FABULOUS. I booked one room instead of two on accident, and they were very friendly and helpful in accommodating us. The hotel gets a higher score just because of that!!!

The major downside is the elevators. Not much they can do, but they are insanely small. Our family of four with luggage (2 pieces) barely fit. If we had 4 pieces, we wouldn't have. And an employee walked by and hit the down button as he was walking by/away. So we get in, go down, and come back up just to stop again and apologize to everyone that we were the same people. Why he did that, I have NO idea!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family