“Good Location and Serv”

Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver
Ranked #15 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed September 10, 2010

The location is good for most of the city sights. Our room was a good size for a city centre hotel and the service was friendly and helpful. The only negative aspect was the breakfast which was included in our room rate. The size of the breakfast room was about a quarter of the size needed for a hotel this size. Also as there was no check I suspect that a number of people just came in off the street for a free breakfast. The food was generally unhealthy even by north American standards and the quality should have been better.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ater42
Write a ReviewReviews (2,002)

Reviewed September 6, 2010

Attended a conference in Vancouver; my spouse and 3 year old son came with me. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with a kitchenette. We got a full-size crib rental for our son from bambinobabyrentals.com; they delivered the crib for free to the hotel because it was downtown. It was set up in the room when we checked in, which was nice. I tilted the couch on end and draped blankets and comforters from it to other places to make a sleeping area for our son in a corner of the living room. We didn't use the kitchenette as much as we could have; everything was available for meal preparation, including a full-size refrigerator. One reason the kitchenette was underused was the excellent free breakfast buffet. There was free Internet access via two terminals (with printers available) adjacent to the breakfast area. There is a SkyTrain station two blocks from the motel, which made it simple to get to the motel from the airport, and which I used every day to go to the conference at Canada Place. There is a grocery store a short distance up Robson from the motel. The motel had hybrid bicycles and helmets available for free; it was nice to check one out one day and take a ride around the perimeter of Stanley Park. The motel staff were very nice, friendly people. My spouse and son rode a free shuttle one day from the motel to Stanley Park. A coin laundry is available on the top floor, where the fitness center (with hot tub) also is located. It's a short walk to False Creek, where the little ferries offer service to Granville Island, etc.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Leeskibike
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed here for one week. The room was very large and clean. Very comfortable to stay for a longer trip. We didn't hear any noise from other guests ever. The free breakfast was actually good. It included eggs, sausage, waffles, toast, fruits, cereal, muffins, pancakes. there was also free fruit tea and coffee all day. Location was great. walkable to transit, shops, bars, gastown, granville. Free bike rentals were great. Took them out twice and went around the city. The bikes weren't fantastic but good enough and were always available. Free wifi in the room was really great. Only thing is room key demagnetized several times and had to get new ones. Overall great stay in a great location. I would stay there again for sure if I go back to Vancouver.

1  Thank jennezs
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I stayed at this hampton downtown from aug14-21,2010, with my parents (3 adults). our room price was very reasonable at $159/night pre-paid at least 1 month in advance, (i avoided the hst tax by pre-paying before the hst kicked in). we had just got off the cruise ships. bought my 'big bus' hop-on-hop-off tickets from near Canada Place where the cruise port is. and the 'Bug Bus' dropped us off 30 feet from the hotel door at the foot of Robson St across from BC Place (where the BC Lions football plays). we got there about 11am, so our room wasn't ready, they did their best to accomadate us, and our room was ready at 1pm. our room was very clean and spacious with 2 queen beds, facing directly onto BC Place. it has a complimentary coffee maker, and 2 bottles of complimentary water, and a bar fridge/freezer, and a lockable room safe. i needed a freezer for my alaska salmon. it has a 32" flat screen tv. the AC was working very well, as the week was very hot and humid at nights. the complimentary buffet breakfast was also very good, with standard coffee/tea, OJ, and apple juice, milk. sometimes scrambled eggs, somtimes easy over, and hash brown potatoes (something different everyday), and a waffle-maker, toaster, yogurt, and bananas, and apples. you can sleep-in and still catch the breakfast till 10am. it has 2 computers and a printer with free internet access for half hour segments, until you re-login again, (I guess so that you don't hog the pc). it has a fountain in the lobby so you can refill your water bottles. the lobby and front desk area is kind of small tho. there's a gift shop, and a burgar and steak restraurant with live nightly music/band. there's an ice machine on a different floor and coin laundry on the 16th floor with a games room with ping pong table, and foosball table, and several seating chairs, and a few excercise machines. the games/excercise room has a door that can go outside onto a rooftop patio, with a couple of bench tables over looking bc place. there's a small 4 foot deep pool, and another door to a smaller patio. Susan, at the front desk was very nice to me and my parents, and she told me all the best places to see and do. also this hampton, was within walking distance to the edgwater casino. you can get complimentary coupon book at the front desk for free cab to the casino, and free $10 slot play, and $10 table plays, (my parents like to walk to the casino to get their excercise). in a strange hotel and environment, it usually takes me 2 or 3 nights to get used to the bed and room, i slept like a baby EVERY night for 7 nights. in the same week, my sister and her family stayed at the westin grande, and i think they paid $200+/night, cosmetically it looks nice, but they dont get the continental breakfast. as they say, the breakfast is the most important meal to start your day. so hope they had a good day and good stay as we did. we're extremely happy we stayed at this hampton, and we definetly will be coming back next time. i relied entirely on tripadvisor and other ppl's comments. so thanks to all the previous comments. anyways, DO YOUR RESEARCH! Thank you again Susan.

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank robo16888
Reviewed August 30, 2010

My fiance and I just returned home from a 4 day trip to Vancouver. We stayed at the Hampton Inn during this time. While it is not exactly in the heart of downtown Vancouver, it's so close that it was worth it for the reduced cost/night plus free breakfast. The hotel staff was very accommodating and friendly, and there was even an on-site shuttle that took us to the local downtown sites we wanted to see. All we had to do was tip the driver, which isn't a necessity, but he was super nice too so we wanted to say thanks. The hotel room - we stayed on the 7th floor - didn't have wonderful views but we were able to see all the sites in our own travels so we didn't care to have a great view from our room. In our eyes, if you're spending too much time in the room, you're not enjoying the wonderful scenery outdoors enough! Anyway, the room was clean, and had a mini fridge and microwave, which was helpful when we had leftovers. This hotel is in a quieter part of the city, which was nice at night when we actually did want to go to sleep.

Here are some things we did while staying in the city that you may want to try:

-Yaletown - we found this area to be the most suited to our tastes (older 20-somethings to younger to mid 30-somethings). Upscale restaurants, great bars, good scenery and people watching. We ate lunch at Milestones in Yaletown, which was great. I know they have a deal for every day of the week. I think Wed was date night where all bottles of wine are $5 off. We also ate at Earl's (great patio with heat lamps and blankets if you want one!), Yaletown Pub & Brewery, and another tapas/sushi place whose name escapes me. Definitely check out the rooftop patio at The Keg - we loved this place. The drinks aren't cheap but they didn't seem to be cheap anywhere. The staff was incredibly friendly (and good looking!!), and the views from the roof were fantastic.

-Yuk Yuk's Comedy Club - went on a Saturday night. This is located at a hotel downtown (again, I forget the name but you can probably look it up). I found it very funny and enjoyed the "different' humor. We're from the States so the jokes some of the comedians cracked about Canada and Vancouver sometimes went over our heads, but for the most part it was very entertaining. Make a reservation in advance if you want to visit.

-Granville Island - we went kayaking through EcoMarine for 2.5 hours (creek tour). Fun time - not cheap. Also, take note that if you make a reservation in advance, if you need to change days (we did due to rain on the initial day we booked), they charge you $10 if you're 48 hours from your original booking. Seemed silly but we paid it and enjoyed it. The shops are cute to visit - we didn't eat at the market since it was so crowded to walk through. Instead we went to Go Fish, this little stand that was recommended by our kayak instructor. The BEST fish and chips we had out there. We also tried the tomato soup and the sesame crusted tuna sandwich. The line for this place was super long, as I've heard it always is, and the wait to get your food after you order takes about 15-20 mins, but it was delicious and not all that expensive! Highly recommended.

-Stanley Park - we rented bicycles and rode the seawall. I don't ride often so I was a bit nervous, but it was easy riding and gorgeous scenery. The food at the park was very expensive so we didn't eat there but I heard people packing picnics. Try that! Also, if you rent a bike, make sure to shop around. We found a place that was cheaper than some others, but didn't offer flat tire service in case you get a flat while you're out in the park. We took the risk and everything was fine so we ended up saving some money.

-Granville Street - many bars and clubs on this street that are hot on Friday/Saturdays, but we're not much into the clubbing scene so we decided to walk around the street to check out what goes on there. Since the drinking age is a bit younger in Canada than home for us, there seemed to be many younger people (18-early 20's) totally wasted wandering the streets. In just the 2 blocks we walked, we witnessed a girl almost puke, two guys being broken up from getting into a fight, people drinking in the streets, and girls with dresses so short and tight that I was amazed they could breathe. Interesting to walk through, but Yaletown felt less wild and crazy to us. Totally a personal preference and I'm sure the club scene is a lot of fun, but it was definitely wild :-) Was fun to check out though!

Aside from that, we spent a lot of time at the English Bay beach and some of the parks in the area. I highly recommend laying on a blanket and just relaxing out there, or bringing picnic food and staying to watch the sunset. Just beautiful.

1  Thank rand415
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I stayed here for almost 4 weeks from June 2010 to middle of July 2010......as I suffered a concusion at work and was sent to Vancouver to a clinic. This hotel is a gem in downtown Vancouver. I have stayed just up the street on Robson at a few different hotels and nothing comes close value wise.

First off....it is quiet. I was only there from Sun to Thurs so I can't comment on the weekends but during the week in was great. With my concussion I needed a quiet hotel and this fit the bill to a T. The beds are awesome as most Hamptons are.

There is a ping pong table and foos ball table......weights...treadmill and hot tub & sauna
rooftop..you can sit in the hot tub and see inside BC PLace as the roof is being replaced at the stadium. Or sit out and enjoy a starlit night on the deck.

The breakfast was awesome..always hot..I always ate early though so can't comment if you are eating later but if you eat a free breakfast at any hotel you will find it crowded,

You can walk anywhere......Chinatown,Yaletown....sky train...Canada line. On Beatty Street on one side of the hotel you can always get a cab as it is a waiting location for one of the cab companys, Too far to walk to English Bay/Stanley Park but a cab there is only around $8.00.

The staff went out of their way to make sure my stay was a good one.....especially Susan at the front desk and Lauren the sale manager. I pre-paid for one of the weeks but ended up having to have dental surgery back home. They could have kept my money but instead reworked my stay into the following week.

After staying there 20 days I don't have one bad thing to say about them.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank TheInnocentBystander
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Just returned from a week in Victoria and Vancouver and stayed at the Hampton Inn in Vancouver. For us the location was great, we are not cruisers and did not want to stay near the cruise docks and crowds. The location is in between two rails stops and within walking distance of Yaletown (many restaurants) and Gastown. The hotel has 4 complimentary bikes that you can use for 3 hours which was plenty of time to ride the seawall from Yaletown area all the way around Stanley Park. (Remember to ride counter clockwise!) Our room was very quiet and overlooked BC stadium. Yes, the breakfast room is on the small side but they do their best to accomodate everyone as best they can. The food was very typical of the Hampton chain. Vancouver in general seems to have a problem with homeless and pan handling - read other posts about this and pay attention to your surroundings. We had no problems around the hotel, mainly Chinatown and Gastown. We did have the fire alarm go off at 3:30 AM and had to walk down from the 11th floor! We heard someone was smoking in a non-smoking room and set off the alarm. All was handled well, just a delay in unlocking the elevators (my husband has walking issues and had to wait for the elevators). My only complaint was the price but when researching hotels it just appears that Vancouver is a very expensive place to stay. They have coin operated washers and dryers on the 16th floor as well as an exercise room, whirlpool with incredible view and roof deck.

3  Thank techfan