Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver
Ranked #13 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
San Francisco, United States
“Clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

The room was very clean and the area of the hotel is very quite. Close to anywhere you would want to go in Vancouver. Lots of restaurants in the area. I would definitely stay here again. The comp breakfast was very well stocked. The hotel in very clean.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fort Myers, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Our travel agent originally had us booked into another Vancouver hotel, but after checking out the reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided not to stay there and asked her to book us at the Hampton Inn & Suites. Great choice! We didn't want to spend a ton of money on a hotel, but did want clean, central location, and comfy beds. We got all of that and more.

Upon check in, we found out that our travel agent booked the wrong dates for us (no, we won't be using her again), but the friendly and professional desk clerk reinstated our pre-paid reservation and gave us a beautiful corner room with a great view (with floor to ceiling windows on two walls). In the room there was a coffee maker, microwave, small refrigerator, and an umbrella. The bathroom was very pretty and very clean.

We used the laundry room on the top floor near the gym, and while I was glad that they had the facilities available, it drove us (and others washing clothes also) crazy that we had to go the whole way to the lobby for change. This may not sound like a big deal, but the hotel was extremely busy, and so waiting for an elevator and then stopping on every floor on the way down took more time than one would think. (And we had to do this several times because one cycle through the dryer didn't dry our clothes.) A change machine would have been SO nice.

We didn't use the gym, but it looked like it had a wide array of basic machines and weights. There was a game table (if memory serves, it was ping-pong) next to the gym that was popular with guests. Also on the same floor was a nice rooftop terrace.

We only had a few small disappointments.

I have never used a hotel hot tub, but after a 15 hour day of traveling in crowded airplanes and airports, my back was killing me, so I decided to utilize the hot tub. After settling in, I looked down at my feet and next to them was something laying at the bottom that was brown. I don't know if it was dirt, sand, or bodily functions, but you have never seen a person exit a hot tub so quickly in your life. I went straight to my shower and scoured myself several times. That experience reinforced my fear of public hot tubs. Never again. I still cringe when I think about it.

As I said, the hotel was very busy, so the elevators were always packed and took forever. Along with that, the lobby was constantly a mad-house. We found ourselves navagating through luggage carts piled with suitcases, people waiting in line for the desk, people waiting for the elevator, and children running wild almost every time we were in the lobby. I don't know what the answer is...short of remodeling, but it got to be very tiresome after 3 days.

There was free wi-fi available for one device only. I was using it for my IPad, and my husband wanted to use his laptop, but it would not allow him to connect to the wi-fi unless he paid for it. That was frustrating.

Pros:
clean, comfortable, spacious room
friendly and professional staff
free breakfast (not a lot of choices though)
free coffee, tea, icewater, apples & cookies in the lobby
location was within walking distace of almost everything we wanted to see

Cons:
hot tub needs cleaning and disinfecting
need a change machine in the laundry room
slow elevators

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JudieAnne
Aliya B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear JudieAnne_12,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel! I am happy to read that you chose to stay with us over the accommodations your travel agent originally booked and am even more thrilled that you found it to be a good decision.

Please allow me the opportunity to comment on a few of your thoughts and observations.

I understand the frustration with the elevators during peak hours, and am happy to report that we are currently in the process of updating them. We are hoping that in the next few weeks the speeds will be increased.

For the safety and cleanliness of our guests, our rooftop whirlpool is maintained and cleaned on a daily basis, and completely drained on a weekly basis. What appears to be sand currently on the bottom of the hot tub is in fact chipped paint from the last cleaning process. We have scheduled a re-tiling of this area on our next cleaning cycle. I do hope that the next time you stay you give the hot tub another try as it really is one of the highlights of our hotel.

Finally, we offer complimentary Wi-Fi Internet for all devices, in all areas of the hotel. Next time you’re here, please call upon our friendly front desk agents who would be more than happy to assist your husband with connecting to this free service.

JudieAnne_12, thanks again for taking the time to leave such a thorough review of our hotel and for highlighting our clean, comfortable and spacious rooms, friendly and professional staff, complimentary hot breakfast, and amazing location, to name a few!

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Warm regards,

Aliya Bhatia
604-605-1455
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Spent 3 nights here with family. Great suite. Great location. Only 5 minute walk from the Space Needle and then a 2 minute Monorail journey to the centre of town. 7/11 across the road, coffee shops and large grocery store within one block, restaurants right around the corner. Staff were extremely helpful (many thanks to Brian who understands service quality!) Yes, the breakfast area is crowded but that shouldn't put you off. When I'm back in Seattle with family, this will be my hotel of choice.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Philip M
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Fare price and nice people on duty. Rooms are equipped as the Hilton chain, but it's a family place. It does not seems to be a business hotel. Breakfast is good, but served in a small place that, sometimes, tests civility. It's well located and bikes complementary.

Stayed July 2014
Key West, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night prior to a cruise and found the lobby and breakfast area to be very chaotic and congested. It didn't help this hotel has terribly slow elevators that are always packed. The inability to use stairs to get down to the ground floor lobby was a little odd.

But that said, the hotel was nice, breakfast was good, and the location was great.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cruzaholic
Aliya B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Paul S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and for choosing us prior to your cruise! I do hope you made use of our complimentary shuttle bus service, which takes our guests right to the cruise port, hassle free! I believe our guests were waiting for their shuttle pick up in the lobby, and can understand how it can get busy during peak shuttle hours.

The stairwells are locked due to the safety and security of our guests; however, all stairwells do lead to the ground lobby or breezeway. Although we are working on faster elevator speeds, the stairwell is always an option to get to the lobby. I apologize we did not make this more apparent during your stay and will be sure to make this more clear for guests in the future.

Paul S, thanks again for sharing your experiences of our hotel and for highlighting our breakfast and location!

Warm regards,

Aliya Bhatia
604-605-1455
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I’ve stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns (probably 30 or so different ones), both for work and for leisure, but this was the best of all the ones I’ve stayed at. My trip here was in July 2014, for leisure, for seven nights. I was traveling by myself.

Pros:

- Good location near BC Place, within walking distance of three subway stops. Restaurants everywhere within walking distance, in all price ranges.

- Very quiet. I had a room facing BC Place, and even one night when there was a Whitecaps game, I didn’t hear that much street noise - the soundproofing was pretty good. If people are talking loudly in the halls, you’ll hear that, though. Mostly they weren’t - there are only a few rooms per floor and the halls aren’t really a place to hang out. I was on a low floor so I didn’t hear the noise from the fitness/game room area that others have mentioned.

- Breakfast. Typical of the Hampton chain. It was mostly kept well-stocked. I went very early every morning and it usually wasn’t too crowded between 6 and 6.30 AM. (It was often jammed later.)

- Newspapers! One delivered outside my room every morning, and then at the front desk there were usually four or five more that you could pick up for free, including two US papers (Seattle Times and USA Today). I’m a newspaper junkie so this was paradise.

- Amenities in general. This Hampton provides a lot more than most do for their customers. Two bottles of water were provided every day at no charge. A piece of chocolate was there the first night. There is always fruit in the lobby and on the 16th floor. There was a nice rooftop area with tables and chairs, great for a little picnic or snack. Unlike most Hamptons, the fitness room was large and well-equipped, and included a sauna and game-room area with a foosball table, etc. There was always flavored water in urns in the lobby (lemon, for example), and usually juice such as cranberry or orange as well. A complimentary shuttle bus will take you around the central city. They provide bikes for free (Vancouver is a very cycling-oriented city.) There are two computers for use next to the breakfast area - ask the front-desk staff for the computer code, which gives you 30 free minutes on the computers. And did I mention the newspapers?!?

- Room. Even though I had one of the smaller rooms, it was quite large. My room had both a microwave and fairly large mini-fridge. Other amenities/furnishings in the room were typical of the Hampton chain.

- Staff. Everyone I dealt with was professional, competent, and friendly. The front desk efficiently arranged a day trip to Victoria for me. The woman assigned to my room, Pari, kept it absolutely spotless. Everyone smiled and acted like they were happy to be serving their customers. This team of Hampton employees should go give lessons to service personnel everywhere.

Cons/other factors:

- If you want to be really close to a subway station, the Hampton isn’t it - the closest two were each about a ten-minute walk away (Yaletown/Roundhouse and Chinatown), so if you have tons of luggage or have issues walking, the Canada Line from the airport may not work well for you. Also, the downtown area is fairly spread out, and the subway system doesn’t really serve it too well, so you’ll end up walking or taking buses, taxis, or the shuttle to get around downtown. As a guideline, it took me about 35 minutes to walk, relatively briskly, from the Hampton to the start of the Stanley Park seawall walk, at the other end of downtown.

- This Hampton is VERY heavily used by cruise passengers both before and after their cruises. They have a LOT of luggage, they all check in and check out at about the same time, and they fill the elevators, breakfast room, and relatively small lobby when they’re around. You can wait a long time for the elevators when cruise passengers are coming and going; it would be nice if the stairs were usable all the time and not just as emergency exit stairs.

- The main lobby entrance is off an alley between Cambie and Beatty. It’s signposted off Robson but isn’t that easy to see once you start walking down the alley. It’s on the right, just after you pass the parking garage. You can also enter off Robson, but then you have to go up to reach the lobby. It’s also accessible via Cambie and Beatty.

- I was on the 6th floor which mean that pretty much all I could see was BC Place and a tiny sliver of False Creek. (I was using Hilton Honors points for my stay and was traveling alone, so I wasn’t surprised to get one of the less desirable rooms during this very peak time for this hotel). Since I wasn’t in my room much, I wasn’t unhappy about this, but if you want a good view, ask for a higher floor.

Overall: This Hampton was a very pleasant surprise - definitely a cut above the others I’ve used. Well done, Vancouver Hampton!

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank velevele
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Very clean and staff extremely accommodating. Our first time in Vancouver and they were very helpful as to what to see and where to eat. Complimentary breakfast was very good and they had fruit and lemon water and orange juice out all day for customers. Would definitely stay there again where in Vancouver.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple