“Our first trip to Canada”

Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver
Ranked #14 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Oxford
“Our first trip to Canada”
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We went to Canada for the first time in June 08. Our first three nights were spent at the downtown Hampton Inn. It was an excellent experience. The staff were friendly and professional, the room spotless, breakfast very good. The biggest bonus was Zachary's restaurant onsite, which was so good we didn't bother to go out to eat at all.
The hotel was happy to run us about in their van, and we couldn't have asked for anything more.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — On site restaurant
  • Disliked — Cost!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beeemerr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We stayed at this hotel before our Alaskan cruise. No problems at all. The location was not a problem if you can handle walking a few blocks up Robson Street to catch a local bus. The room was a bit small, the bed was a bit firm. Over all, my wife and I hardly stayed in the hotel as we were out and about exploring the Vancouver area. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was par, but that is average for Hampton Inn. The internet connection was a bit slow. The room was kept very clean. I don't expect too much from a Hampton Inn, but I know they are usually very reliable. Indeed, this hotel delivered as expected.
I read a few complaints about the nearby construction - yes, there is construction work nearby, but it wasn't a problem at night, to loose any sleep over. I also read a few complaints about the homeless nearby, again its a city, you have homeless people in every city. They were not a problem.

Check out my rooftop photos from the hotel.

• Liked — Helpful Staff
  • Disliked — Firm bed, but that's personal preference
2 Thank saxmanlee
Mirfield, West Yorkshire
Reviewed July 1, 2008

As I always use Trip Advisor if I am prebooking I only choose hotels / B&B's that review well. Hence my my scores are usually high, suggesting that I am easliy satisfied. That is far from the truth as we like good quality and value for money and thankfully using TA we get that..

We had two nights at this hotel in early June and can see why it so highly rated by TA members. Nothing was too much trouble, check in was excellent, rooms/bathrooms on 4th floor were spacious, very clean, comfortable, welcoming bed linen and secure. Umbrellas were available to use. Breakfast was more than adequate, internet was easy and quick and the views from the 16th floor are stupendous. We ate dinner in the attached restaurant and had a very pleasant meal.

I have no problems in recommending this hotel to anyone and will return if we visit Vancouver again.

• Liked — Room size and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank James B
OKC
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night prior to our cruise. We all wish we would have stayed longer so we could have explored Vancouver a bit more. The hotel was in a good area and within walking distance to alot of shopping, restaurants, etc. BC place right across the street.

The room was nice size, comfortable bed, roomy bathroom with good lighting (important to me), breakfast was complementary and OK for me, very friendly and helpful staff.

If you want shopping, you must shop at Winners about 4 blocks away for some designer clothes at cheap prices. We heard that the china town area was good too but we did not make it there.

Also, eat at John Forte's about 11 blocks away. Excellent food. I had the Crusted Halibut and it was excellent! Kinda of expensive but worth it. (About $75 for two, water to drink plus tip) We took a taxi to the restaurant but walked back. We went early, like 4pm and there wasn't a wait and we did not need reservations. However, if you go.... say 5pm or later you most likely will need reservations.

There were 4 of us, 2 couples, in our group and we decided we wanted to come back to Vancouver next year. We would probably stay at this hotel again. I just wish it were a bit cheaper, however, I know Canada is more expensive than US. Our stay was $189 US plus taxes and that is with my AAA discount. Started out at $225 US but I kept checking and it came down in price several times.

Go up to the top floor for a beautiful view of Vancouver. The work out room and hot tub are up there too. We did not get to use them though, just not enough time

They do not offer free shuttle from the Vancouver airport but they DO offer free shuttle from hotel to cruise piers. That was a nice savings. Sign up at 7am the morning of for the shuttle.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Liked — Comfortable
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank Oklatraveler
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 16, 2008

The hotel itself is a very nice property and the breakfast is the usually good Hampton fare. The only detractor which really wasn't that bad was the 3-4 block hike to get into the fun part of Robson Street. There is a lot of construction going on in the area so be prepard for a bit of noise during the week. Parking is good, under the hotel but they charge a bit for it. Overall, a good stay.

1 Thank drewantha
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Nice location at the end of Robson Street. Short walk to the stores, Gastown and Yaletown. Rooms are comforable and suprisingly quiet.

• Liked — Good value for the price.
  • Disliked — Though new, the rooms aren't very stylish
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DRBSFM
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2008

Stayed two nights here after a trip on The Rocky Mountaineer train from Banff to Vancouver. As part of the train trip, our bags were delivered straight to this hotel and we were taken there free of charge by coach from the station.
The check in staff were polite and extemely helpful, a guy called 'Keith' in particular.
On arrival, I said that I needed to use a computer to check in with BA 24 hours before my flight. Keith immediately explained to me how I could use the hotel's computer to check in, and print off our boarding passes.
I then said that our flight did not leave until late evening on the day we were checking out. Before I could ask about it, Keith informed me we were welcome to leave our cases in the Reception office, that we could use the facilities on the 16th floor before leaving and they would call a cab for us when we asked.
Absolutely superb !
On the day of our departure we were hot and tired after cycling round Stanley Park, then walking around Downtown Vancouver. We went up to the 16th floor to find showers, fresh towels and toiletries all free to use.
The two nights we spent there were very comfortable, the room was spotlessly clean, well furnished and decorated.
One aspect that impressed us was their security system. The swipe card you are given to enter your room is also required to activate the lift and the toilets on the ground floor can only be entered using this card as well. Thereby preventing non-residents from using them, or gaining access to the other floors.

• Liked — Helpful Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing