“Nice hotel and very centrally located”

Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver
Ranked #17 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I just got home from a week's stay at the Hampton. I traveled with my 85 year old mother. Both my mother and I loved the hotel. Our room was facing the stadium. At first I was concerned after reading some of the reviews on staying on the stadium side. On our last night there was a big game and a street party which began around 4 pm. We actually enjoyed the music and did not find the game or crowd leaving at 10 pm to be noisy. We had a very pleasant experience facing the stadium. The stadium lighted up pink and purple at night which was a nice view - although the last two nights the stadium was lighted white.

The hotel is so central, the hop on hop off bus is only two blocks again and we did a two day ticket which allowed us to see the city in comfort. We walked to the places we wanted to revisit. We usually went down for breakfast around 8 am and did not have problems getting a table. It can get very crowded around 9. The breakfast was always good with choices of waffles (they now have 2 waffle machines), yogurt, fruit, eggs (must admit that the scrambled eggs weren't that great, but egg omelets tasted so much better (offered one morning), oatmeal, bagels, muffins, cereal, and pastries. It was great to have the daily free coffee and tea in the breakfast room and we took advantage of grabbing a cup of coffee when we came in after exploring the city.
The hotel offers a free shuttle (you need to be in lobby at 7 am to book with driver for that day) that takes you anywhere in the city, but does not do return trips. The Canada line is so close to the hotel (about 6 blocks) and was so easy (and cheap - although airport charges a $5 surcharge on top of the price to leave the airport). Return fare is $2.50 for Adults and $1.50 for Seniors. It was raining the day we were leaving and the shuttle took us to the train station which was so handy.
The rooms have a fridge, coffeemaker, and microwave. 2 bottles of water are provided in room each day. There is a coin operated laundry room on the 16th floor ($2 to wash and $2 to dry). The exercise room had table tennis (which was great for the kids staying at the hotel). The in room safe is located on the floor inside the closet and you need to bend down or kneel on the floor to use which was annoying the first time but I got over that very quickly.
Just a warning, there was major construction next door (we did not hear any noise) which might put you off when you arrive but once inside the hotel it was not a problem. My mother and I really enjoyed staying at the Hampton Inn and I would recommend this hotel to visitors to Vancouver.

1  Thank Munhkingirl

Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed at this Hampton Inn prior to a cruise through the Alaska inland passage. This Hampton Inn is above average, featuring somewhat nicer rooms and an upgraded breakfast over the typical such hotel (and we stay at a LOT of Hampton Inns). The location is near the BC Arena but also is within walking distance of decent restaurants and a few shops. Through a lucky stroke, the hotel is also a few blocks from a subterranean Costco, which became essential when United Airlines lost our daughter's luggage (it showed up 2 hours before the cruise departed but we had to buy some clothes as a contingency).

Of special note, one of the staff members (Daniel), single-handedly helped to save our trip by finding one of the few competent United Airlines representatives (at the frequent flier number) who then proceeded to locate and route our bag to the hotel. Without Daniel's assistance, the airline (a bunch of morons, btw), was ready to send our bag back to North Carolina despite the fact that we spent hours on the phone explaining the urgency of the problem. Of course, we tipped Daniel but his initiative was worth far more than our gratuity and deserves special mention on behalf of Hampton Inns everywhere.

So if you need a place to stay in Vancouver (did I mention the free shuttle to the cruise?) and want to interact with helpful and friendly staff to guide your visit, the Hampton Inn is a place we highly recommend.

Room Tip: You get a nicer view at the higher levels.
2  Thank Lewis W
Reviewed June 21, 2012

After being on a cruise for a week, we planned to stay in Vancouver for 2 days! I searched for months for the perfect hotel, & hit the jackpot...
We arrived at the hotel early & were greeted by Susan at the front desk who was absolutely superb...She was able to give us one room out of the two so we were able to store all of our luggage...We had my 85 year old Father with us & needed a wheelchair...She was able to borrow one from next door...

From beginning to end, The entire staff was very accommodating...They booked a wonderful tour for us...

they also recommend a great restaurant next door, called Frankies, which was great & reasonable!!

The rooms were large & very clean!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone...

Room Tip: We had a room with the stadium view which was fun to watch everyone coming & going...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2012

During my trip to Vancouver due to booking challenges, this was the third hotel I stayed in. At the bottom of Robson it's across the street from BC Place (the view from my room was filled with the stadium) and conveniently located for shopping, dining and transportation. The rooms are nicely appointed and the service is excellent. Though my room faced a road, I never heard the sound of traffic unless I opened the window.

Though my stay was nothing but pleasant, for me the location was less than desirable. I prefer activities on the north end of the city during down time (Stanley Park, Coal Harbour, West End) so this was about as far away as I could get from there without being in Burnaby. I never encountered any trouble but walking from the SkyTrain station at night made me uneasy as Beatty is not well lit.

For business travelers or those who enjoy shopping, I would recommend this property because of its location. However, for those who enjoy getting out into Stanley Park or heading up to North Vancouver, I would suggest somewhere else.

Room Tip: a view of BC Place is nice at night with its lighting
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank spacedogfl
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed here the night before a cruise. I used honors points. We got upgraded to the top floor corner room overlooking the stadium. It had a huge jacuzzi tub. Staff was very friendly. Signed up for the shuttle to the cruise ship. Room was big enough with floor to ceiling windows on two sides. Really firm bed which is what we like.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed here last week after our Alaskan cruise. Our room was ready when we arrived, before 8 AM. They stored our luggage the next day for us and were very helpful. It's within walking distance to Canada Place and the other downtown areas. We had a Hop on Hop off bus ticket. The stop was close enough.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights during our recent visit to Vancouver. The train station is about 2 blocks away and BC Place is directly across the street. Rogers Center is a block away. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family