“Good location, nice ammenties”

Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver
Ranked #14 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Nashua, NH
“Good location, nice ammenties”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We found that this place had clean, decent rooms which were very comfortable. It is very close to Yaletown and you can basically walk everywhere. We also found that you could have a ride at no charge to anywhere in Vancouver, you just have to find your way back. Andy was our driver both times and he was so friendly and helpful. I didn't even know they would do this so it was a very nice surprise! Breakfast is nice, pretty standard. Price was decent for a downtown hotel. The woman in the gift shop even personally changed my USD to CAD when our ATM wouldn't work, a very nice thing for her to do.

Fitness center needs more machines.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarissaNH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
nj
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Nice hotel to stay in Vancouver. Their staff is very friendly. Breakfast is reasonably diversified. They got a fooseball/ping pong table on the 16th floor, which is where my kids spent most time. Parking is kind of expensif at 25+$ per night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mktrip1
Aliya B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Downtown Vancouver as well as sharing your positive feedback with travellers. I apologize that you did not find value in our parking fees. We strive to be quite reasonable compared to our competitors who are also located in the downtown area of Vancouver. Our parking rate is $19.00 and after applying the taxes of 35.52% (Vancouver Translink tax and the Harmonized Sales Tax) our initial parking charge of $19.00 totals $25.75.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you again during your next visit to Vancouver!

Aliya Bhatia
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I reserved 2 rooms, one king suite with living room and kitchen and one 2 queen bds room, for our family of 2 parents and 3 grown children. We paid a bit more for the suite but it was well worth it. The kids were able to hang out in the living room comfortably and make instant noodle soup in the kitchen late at night. The hotel turned 2 rooms into a suite, knocked down a wall and put in french doors which separates the bedroom from the living area. Our bedroom portion of the suite has some electrical noise from the ceiling by the bathroom/closet that kicks in periodically which makes some loud buzzing noise. It bothered me some but it didn't wake me during the night so I guess that was ok but if you're a light sleeper you may have a problem there.

Checking in was pleasant and quick. Rooms were clean and with basic amenities. They have make up mirrors in the bathrooms but why, why must they be set to a certain height? At 5'2" I had to stand on tippy toes to use it so it was useless to me but my husband loved it.

Breakfast is always busy so you take a chance on not being able to find a table. The food adequate and the self making waffle irons usually slow the line down but people seems to enjoy that. Sausage links, sausage patties, potatoes, scramble eggs were some of the hot food offered during our 4 nights stay. They also have cold hard boiled eggs which I didn't like but I found a way to warm them up by putting them in a cup of hot water. They often run out of fruits, hot foods and juices but it's just a matter of waiting for them to replenish. The staff in the breakfast room is friendly and helpful.

I understand from the other reviews that the hotel offers free shuttle to downtown but we walked everywhere so we didn't take advantage of it nor were we told about it while we were there. We did take advantage of the free 3 hr bike rental though.

Elevators were slow, really slow and somebody got stuck in one of the two one evening which made it even slower. You need to swipe your room keys to get to your floors, the parkade and even the second floor breakfast. You could wait up to 5 minutes or longer for one to arrive which I find frustrating.

Parking is $18 a day, after paying $46 a day at the Seattle Westin, and $40 Vancouver Westin, I'm not complaining. It was reasonable for the area. We stayed at the other end of Robson at a condo during our last Vancouver visit, one block from Denman and Robson so this time I thought we would stay at this end of Robson. The only concern I had was how close the hotel is to Hastings which was infamous for the number of homeless folks sleeping and loitering in the area. The area has since been cleared out, probably for the Olympic and the city stayed clean. You don't get a lot of action staying at this location but it's also quieter because of it.

We had free internet in our rooms and by reading other reviews I just now found out it was due to the Hhonors program I belong to. It should be mentioned as one of the perks of the Hhonor program at the time of check in.

It's a nice hotel and we enjoyed our stay but it's not that special.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank swanster
Aliya B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Vancouver, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Hampton Inn Downtown Vancouver and taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are happy to hear of your great comments regarding our convenient location, comfortable and clean guest rooms as well as the fact that you took advantage of our thoughtful hotel amenities like the complimentary breakfast, bicycle rental service, and wireless Internet service.

I was disheartened to learn about the minor electrical noise that you encountered during your stay. I wish a call was made to our maintenance team as it would have been our pleasure to have immediately looked into this. I would like to partake in further investigation and am requesting your room number to do so. If you have the time to contact me, please do so at aliya@hamptininnvancouver.com or 604-605-1455.

I am happy to inform you that the mini-mirrors that are provided in each guest room are adjustable. Again, I would like to look further into your reservation and have our maintenance team take a look at the mirror in your room.

We also appreciate your feedback regarding our parking services. The hotel provides parking as an added convenience to all guests travelling with vehicles. Please rest assured that I will be reviewing your feedback to help ensure that we continue to deliver great value.

Again, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is important to us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Sincerely, Aliya Bhatia
Sydney
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed for three nights and found the very central location to be extremely convenient for our first visit to Vancouver. Hotel is close to an extensive range of cafes/restaurants and shopping, supermarket etc; only a short walk to skytrain. Noise levels are not too bad – we were on 6th floor and it was pretty quiet through the night; but there is noise during the day from nearby construction on stadium.

Room facilities are just as listed on website – good size bathroom; small fridge; microwave; coffee-maker; comfortable beds; it was great to have a table & 2 chairs in addition to a desk and computer chair; the complimentary internet access in room worked well. The air-conditioning was very touchy and did get too hot/cold at times beyond the set temperature – the sensors seem to take a long time to settle into the set temperature.

Breakfast is included – not a huge range of choices but sufficient – 2 or 3 cereals; juice; fruit; yoghurt; waffles; toasts; egg. Have never before encountered the use of disposable paper plates and plastic cutlery in a hotel though.

Hotel facilities included a gym and well set up coin operated laundry – we much appreciated the laundry facility. Zachary’s Restaurant had a small menu but nice meals and reasonably priced – thanks to the chef who was happy to meet special dietary needs. Very friendly and helpful wait staff – we had fun trying out the local brews on their advice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GemmaSydney
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit at the Hampton Inn Downtown Vancouver.

Although I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel amenities such as the laundry facilities, gym, as well as our complimentary breakfast items and wireless Internet, I was disappointed to learn about the air-conditioning sensor in the room that you stayed in. I would like to investigate further and would love for you to contact me directly so I can obtain more information, such as your room number and dates that you stayed with us, to perform the necessary maintenance. I can be reached at aliya@hamptoninnvancouver.com or 604-605-1455.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Aliya Bhatia
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I arrived at the Hotel just as the first Hockey game of final playoffs was starting. After Rooftop Jacuzzi I paused to look down at crowds leaving BMO arena after the game with whoops of cheers going up all through the neighbourhood. This hotel was best location to see Vancouver come alive with opening win.The desk staff were helpful in finding a restaurant for dinner even drawing on a map the safe way to walk to Gastown and location of the lookout Tower a block away from restaurants on the waterfront. Don't believe talk about cold and rain as weather claimed before I flew in. While walking to and from the restaurant area it was sunny and warm with beautiful sunset over the waterfront with Mountains across the way in West Vancouver. Next day I was kind of cold after returning from Whistler and rooftop Jacuzzi after dark was magic overlooking the beautiful lights of Vancouver. Breakfast off lobby provided lots of foods to grab and take with you as I had to leave early both mornings for train tour. I really enjoyed the hotel and recommend it highly for downtown activities and nice long walk to Stanley Park and especially to catch a hockey game 2 blocks away. I fell in love with Vancouver and can't wait to return for longer visit and do that walk around Stanley Park which tourists assured me I could do form the Hampton Inn. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Sydney
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I chose to stay at the Hampton Inn for 2 main reasons: I am part of the Hilton Honors program 2. Location + Price

There is no wow about this hotel, room was pretty standard of average size, basic amenities. No mini-bar. You get a microwave, coffee/tea making facility and a small fridge which was convenient. Bathroom was small but clean with a tub/shower. Internet was free as part of the honors program which was a bonus. The bed was of queen size and comfy, room was quiet. I had view on the streets from my room which was nice.

You also get daily free breakfast, nothing fancy but the usual (toasts, bagels, waffles, eggs, sausages, bacon, fresh fruits, yogurt, coffee, tea etc) and it was enough.

The plus side was its location, it was a few mins away from the hop on/off tour bus stop, within walking distance to Chinatown and Gas town. There was also a chemist/pharmacy closely where you can get drinks and snacks. There were also a few restaurants around the area and a few coffee shops.

All in all, I think it was a good place to stay in terms of value for money.

Room Tip: Join the Hilton Honors Program, you can set your preferences on the types of room you need etc
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Southern New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Vancouver for only one night, but it was a very pleasant stay. The staff were very helpful. The room was large and comfortable. We did not have breakfast, as we were having breakfast elsewhere but the area looked nice and the choices good. The entire facility was very clean.

Best of all was on the 16th floor where there is a large, extensive, well-maintained fitness area, a hot tub, an outside seating area and a LAUNDRY. Now a laundry may not be a selling point to many but when you have been on vacation for a week and have an additional week in front of you its importance soars.

There were two coin operated washers and dryers and a large folding table. It was in a good sized room with a window and access to the outside roof area. The equipment worked well and the dryers actually got the clothes dry on one run. There is also a vending machine for detergent and softener sheets.

This hotel is conveniently located downtown. We chose it as it is both convenient to downtown, but also fairly close to the train station as we were heading out on the Rocky Mountaineer the next day. It is also fairly close to the bus station, which is also across the river. The Pacific Coast cross water bus from Victoria has a drop-off point downtown that is more convenient to the hotel, however.

All in all it was a brief, pleasant and very productive stay as we left with bags full of clean, fresh clothing for the remainder of our vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends