“Mixed Blessing” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shaughnessy Village

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vancouver
Shaughnessy Village
Ranked #74 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
“Mixed Blessing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2006

The hotel is on a busy street but is reasonably quiet through the night. If you are there with a car, everything is a convenient drive in any direction. Public transit is about three blocks away.

The front desk staff is cheerful and helpful. They gave me extra towels when I asked. They also provided an extra set of room keys on request. (There were two of us staying and we each had separate daytime appointments.)

Parking is an extra cost. I think it cheeky of any hotel, even a cheap one, to ask a parking fee.

The elevator often had the scent of cigarettes and alcohol.

The room is extremely small. I knocked my knees a few times getting in, out of, and around the bed even though I am quite small myself.

The room is tidy but apparently not dusted on a regular basis and I wondered if it had been vacumed recently.

Amenities are reasonable:

Anyone serious about their daily workout will laugh at the weight room, but it serves the purpose.

Sauna

Two jacuzzis - one in the basement, one outside with the swimming pool. --- The change room in the basement is a nicer place to have your daily shower than the bathroom in your own room.

The grounds are impeccably groomed and enjoyable on a nice day.

The hotel restaurant is convenient but only open from 7:00 a.m. till 1:00 p.m. then open again later in the day for supper. I thought breakfast was greasier than it needed to be. My husband thought it was *okay*.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Prince George
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2006

Staying at Shaughnessy Village can be convenient for anyone with business at the hospital but the prices are not as cheap as they appear. The cost for two is $56 and another $6.50 per day if you wish to park a car. The rooms are tiny and although clean, they are not cleaned until you check out. There is a microwave, fridge and sink in the main room along with a TV and couch but there are no kitchen utensils nor are there sinks in the bathrooms. On the upside, there is always hot water.

The big thing that happened to me is that I left a bag with some expensive clothes and books in their luggage storage. When I gave it to the man at reception, I told him that I would be gone a month and would collect the bag at that time. At the same time, I made a reservation for my return date. The gentleman taking care of me said, "No problem, the bag will be safe." When I returned, there was no bag and I received no compensation. I was told I should have given the bag to maintenance to hold. There were no signs posted informing guests of this procedure and the oldster who took my bag certainly didn't tell me that. Consequently I am looking for another place that I can patronize during my many visits to Vancouver.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank chickenbus

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

This hotel is above average in most areas but the ones that you normally think of relating to a hotel. The standard rooms are tiny and a little bizarre, the restaraunt is poor but getting better. The deluxe room is a much better bet for two. But the grounds are pretty and you don't normally see an urban hotel that has a free mini golf course. We have stayed there many times and the neighborhood is fantastic. Near Granville Island, antique stores, theatre, great restaraunts and very convenient to downtown on public transportation.

If you are looking for a resort hotel or an average sized room, move on. But if you can put up with some oddness you will find some fun amenities and a can't be beat location.

• Stayed October 2004
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank ch m
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2005

I have just spent 6 nights at the Shaughnessy Village Bed and Breakfast, and I admit that I liked it. Reception staff has always been very polite to me.
They have a strange checkin procedure, you may visit your room first, and thereafter you need to go back down to complete the check-in. As a guest I may expect a 'finished' room, and that all rooms are moreless equal. So why that effort?
My room was expectedly small, but featured a bathroom with a tube, a balcony, a fully furnished kitchen and a wallbed (bed and couch in one).
I don't know why people complain about the size, it's advertised as B&B, and they even state the size of the rooms. As a guest paying daily rates, you are entitled to breakfast vouchers, which can be redeemed at the 12th Avenue restaurant, which is located in the house. You may choose between different types of omlettes and one cup of coffee. It's not much, but it is good to cover the first hunger in the morning.
Shaughnessy also offers a swimming pool, a jacuzzi, a nicely decorated garden and health club, which I didn't use.
Location is basically good, but you have to walk at least three blocks to reach a bus stop (Broadway). Unfortunately there is no good supermarket available.
Considering that the Shaughnessy is a B&B, it impressed me deeply. I only paid $65, but I had all the amenties mentioned, even a bath tube in my private bathroom. That's a lot in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Michael S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2005

Far too expensive, too smelly, too many drunk smelly old men yuk yuk yuk. There are still smoking rooms and the ventilation is so poor that it blows into your room too! Rooms are sooooooo small it's unbearable, not sound proof either. Some rooms have some cooking facilities however there is no cutlery, crockery or pots and pans provided! Nothing at all luxurious about it they should be sued for false advertising!! The decor is very dated and bad to start with, the health club is a few crappy old machines cramped into a little room, as for the Cybercafe it's one old computer in the corner of the restaurant which doesn't always work and costs $2.30 for 15mins!!!!! There are extra costs left right and centre for the laundry, parking, housekeeping etc etc. Most the staff were helpful, it's in a convenient location and it was clean thank goodness. Overall it comes highly unrecommended especially for a lengthy stay (more than one night that is!).

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2004

I agree with another persons comments that the rooms are so small you have to leave the room just to change your mind. It's 162 square feet of confinement! The monthly rate advertized is so attractive you move in only to find it applies only for a minumum 6 month stay...... then it's more than double. It's cheaper to rent an unfurnished place and buy new furniture!
But it is clean though and the amenities are good.
One or two nights is more than plenty.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2004

My boyfriend and I went to Vancouver for 8 days in May and stayed at Shaugnessy Village, it's in a good area, the hospital is close, close to the businesses on Broadway. The staff is helpful and friendly. They let you see the room they picked out for you and if you don't like you they'll give you another one. Be wary though, the single rooms can be a little small if it's for 2 people especially if you have individual luggage because the rooms are a bit narrow.
Overall good experience, the breakfast vouchers definitely came in handy.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member