“Great transitional place to stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vancouver
Shaughnessy Village
Ranked #75 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
vancouver
“Great transitional place to stay”
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I stayed for 8 days while relocating to vancouver and once I upgraded to a larger room was quite comfortable. If I was just going to stay 1 or 2 nights the smaller room would have been ok. Staff at front desk and restaurant were friendly. My room faced the back and was extremely quiet and the bed was comfortable. The only irritating thing was that you have to purchase wireless from the restaurant and the signal is quite weak up in the rooms so you have to sit in the lobby or restaurant if you want to use your computer.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank jgaVancouver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Sometimes when one says, "You get what you pay for" it has negative connotations. But in the case of Shaughnessy Village
it is absolutely true-- with a positive spin. This hotel is ridiculously cheap in comparison to other hotels in Vancouver, yet it still provides a clean, safe, convenient, comfortable accommodations. Albeit, it comes with a dose of tiny rooms, dated kitschy decor, and service with sass.

I have stayed in many high class and low brow hotels in Vancouver, and this hotel is definitely not high class. But, for the same money as the other low-brow hotels, Shaughnessy Village
does NOT have a club thumping downstairs, bottles breaking outside, fists fighting in the streets, or hookers in the lobby. It is truly a cheap alternative for a good night's sleep.

The rooms are indeed tiny. Best for only one or two persons who will sleep well and shower in the room. The hotel itself is well appointed with a small weight-room, swimming pool, jacuzzi, restaurant, and parking garage. Again, it comes with a hefty dose of quirky marine decor. But for this price, I don't care. If YOU want to spend twice as much for silly frills and shallow service, stay elsewhere. But if you want a good night's sleep at a really good price just outside the downtown core, this hotel is a good alternative.

• Liked — Very affordable clean rooms in a close-in location
  • Disliked — The decor was cheezy. It is not within walking distance of downtown shopping.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank mjgriffy
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 24, 2008

we arived there and we found already the reception horrible... the impression was of a dirty poor furnished b & b. we took the room key and oh my god the room was soooo horrible! but what really made it that horrible was the terrible smoke smell (we had requested a non-smoking room). that smoke smell is in all the b & b, no matter where... the room was really dirty, and the shower was not in the toilet (as logical) but in the bedroom! so the morning after ( i decided not to shower in the evening cause i wanted to shower after a night cause i was sure i'd have felt dirty the morning after (and it was so..)) i had to wake up my friend so as to take a shower...
i am not an allergic person but i had probelms with sleeping because of the smoking smell, i had a bad cough attack...
the morning after we discovered that breakfast was included but.. we had to pay for a few things... thata means that we had to pay for the drinks, sugar, marmelade, butter etc... in the end we decided not to eat there cause we had to pay almost for everything apart the food... and we went away.... there is what they call a "jacuzzi"... please, it is just a horrible swimming pool!
really don't come here!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank phibi

Travelers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

MB
Reviewed August 9, 2008

I ignored negetive reviews and I suffered. My small family stayed for 3 nights. It was booked one and a halfmonths in advance. At admission we were showed a family suite before checking in. It was unnecessary as no refund was possible if we reject the room. I have never seen such micro room before. The Suite comprised of a five and a half feet by six feet room ( having a double bed) and a adjacent four feet by six feet curved slice of a passage (converted to a room) having a sofa pullout . There were two balconies with beautiful view of the city but you cannot stand on balcony as each has a plastic table and two plastic chairs which fill up the space. A small child can perhaps squeeze in. The bathroom is a wonder. It is attached to the main room.`It had a semitransparent curtain and no doors'. I had to ask my child to go to the other room while I took the shower. You have to climb few steps to reach the bathtub (cum shower) and then jump down in a unusually deep bathtub. Heaven knows where they obtained such unusual bathtub from. You run a great risk of slipping and having and accident getting in and out of it. In fact, my child had a fall in bathtub. Fortunately it was not serious. It had a minifridge and a microwave but no plates, cups, spoons, tea or coffee bags and not even a water jug. Two slices of soaps (one each for bathroom and toilette) were given and no more, not even when requested, in three days. One toilette paper roll for three days. Nobody cleaned the room, made the beds during the entire stay. The pillows were flat, blankets thin and extra was not available on the evening we checked in. We had to carry these from maintenance to our room at 11th floor the next day as there was no room service to cut costs. The breakfast was limited to one toast cut into half plus cereal with half cup of milk (or omlette etc) and tea or coffee or fruit juice. You have to sign and countersign significant number of vouchers before breakfast was allowed. The front desk was unhelpful in even helping me with informations regarding travel in the city. The manager lady was clearly arrogant and hostile. Her answer to any complaint was that I am free to leave, of course without a refund, if I am not happy. The place is by no means cheap and to catch the nearest bus you have to walk half an hour. There are no shops nearby. Inspite of the shortcomings the place was almost full which made me curious. Most of the clients appeared immigrants and therefore with no prior knowledge of the place, poor in english expression and perhaps economically challenged. Only postive point about this place is the impressive tall building which might mislead a visitor standing outside it.

• Stayed July 2008
2 Thank pranab68
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 20, 2007

As a location, it is not that convenient without a car. The most striking thing, however, is how small the room is. It is really tiny! The staff let you view the room before commiting and payment is per day. The toilets, though clean were very old and the room carpeting was damp. However, the room had a refridgerator, microwave and TV.
There were, however, good facilities. There was a hot tub, swimming pool and small gym for common usage.

• Liked — Facilities
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank jeanlim
ShaughnessyVillage, Director at Shaughnessy Village, responded to this review, March 10, 2008

Shaughnessy Village operates at 90% occupancy throughout the year. What better endorsement can we have than by the people who stay with us: bankers; consulates; government, city hall, fire department and union people; inspectors; realtors; cab drivers and personnel in shipping, fishing, mining and logging; and people going to and from health care centers.
30% of our occupancy is repeat business from single students and tourists.
We feature a 3 room honeymoon suite for romantic getaways.
All units are small theme rooms, like cabins on a cruise ship equipped similar to that of a deluxe recreation vehicle.
Our studio rooms are the smallest and best priced and most in demand.
There are numerous free facilities and amenities.
Our rates include a free health club with tanning bed, aroma therapy steam spa, sauna, exercise gym, 2 jacuzzis and swimming pool. Also, free in the rate are free video movies shown 24 hrs/day, outdoor chess, checkers, and shuffleboard courts in the award winning Cupid Gardens; a free 9-hole crazy putt course and 250 ft waterway for adult toy yacht races. There is a free 24 hour front desk, hi-tech secrity and medic alert response system.
There is free cable, color tv and all utilties.
The first months parking is also free for long term guests.
All of these free things give Shaughnessy Village the 90% occupancy year around and makes it a popular destination for economy conscious long term and short term travellers.
seattle
Reviewed May 28, 2006

It has been a few years since I have been there but I have stayed many times in the last 10 years. I agree with everything both good and bad in the other reviews. Most memorable is the elevator stench. I kind of felt like I was paying for the lobby/tv room which is more for long term guests I think. I did not mind the small rooms since I did not stay in the room much but if you are planning to spend alot of time in the room I would look elsewhere. Safeway is not that far. I believe just a 10 minute walk east on 12th. Check in front desk procedures are quaint and a bit slow if many people in line.

• Stayed June 2003
7 Thank socalmex
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 13, 2006

The hotel is on a busy street but is reasonably quiet through the night. If you are there with a car, everything is a convenient drive in any direction. Public transit is about three blocks away.

The front desk staff is cheerful and helpful. They gave me extra towels when I asked. They also provided an extra set of room keys on request. (There were two of us staying and we each had separate daytime appointments.)

Parking is an extra cost. I think it cheeky of any hotel, even a cheap one, to ask a parking fee.

The elevator often had the scent of cigarettes and alcohol.

The room is extremely small. I knocked my knees a few times getting in, out of, and around the bed even though I am quite small myself.

The room is tidy but apparently not dusted on a regular basis and I wondered if it had been vacumed recently.

Amenities are reasonable:

Anyone serious about their daily workout will laugh at the weight room, but it serves the purpose.

Sauna

Two jacuzzis - one in the basement, one outside with the swimming pool. --- The change room in the basement is a nicer place to have your daily shower than the bathroom in your own room.

The grounds are impeccably groomed and enjoyable on a nice day.

The hotel restaurant is convenient but only open from 7:00 a.m. till 1:00 p.m. then open again later in the day for supper. I thought breakfast was greasier than it needed to be. My husband thought it was *okay*.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business