“Lovely, quiet, and inviting -- definitely recommend!”
Review of Manor Guest House

Manor Guest House
Ranked #34 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2010

I stayed at Manor for a month -- and I loved it there! it was comfortable, quiet, lovely, light, spacious. I felt very at home there. Had the feel of a European pensione, which I love. The place was spotless on move in, and there was a clean kitchen and free laundry. (My only small request would be a weekly cleaning for the longer term residents.) The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I was there alone, and I felt totally safe. The location is also ideal, walking distance to great restaurants and cafes on Cambie as well as the sky train which takes you downtown in 5 minutes. Really, just a fabulous stayl. Cant recommend it more highly!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank vjules

Reviewed October 19, 2010

My wife and I are seasoned B & B travelers in North America and Europe. We live in Seattle and wanted to get away somewhere close for a few days and even though we'd been to Vancouver before, we loved it and wanted to go again.

On our last trip we stayed in a lower level B & B, but this time we wanted something a little classier. A friend told us about the Manor Guest House. We weren't disappointed.

The accommodations were BEAUTIFUL. Elegant but not at the expense of character.

The service was also great. David and his team were helpful and friendly, but not in your face.

The food was also fabulous. And the Manor's large eating area allowed us to meet a few other couples -- one of whom we even went on an outing with.

Finally, my wife and I felt that the Manor provided extremely good value. While prices were higher than when we came to Vancouver and stayed at a "lower level" B & B, it wasn't off by much. And the elegance, great service, and quality of food surely made up for it.

The Manor Guest House was the best bed and breakfast that my wife and I have ever stayed in. Next time we're in Vancouver, we will back.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GideonBluestein
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We were looking forward to a pleasant and relaxing stay with our parents. We were expecting a more personal experience in a Bed and Breakfast. We rented two rooms. Upon our arrival we were greeted by a woman who made us very unwelcome in spite of the reality that we were paying guest. She evidently did not want to answer any questions about the guest house or Vancouver. We would have been better off with the professionalism of a hotel. If you are seeking warm or personalized service, we do not recommend this guest house. This is more like a low cost rooming house than a quaint bed and breakfast. We will never stay there again"

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Kildonan63
ManorGuestHouse, General Manager at Manor Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2010

The reason these guests found the woman they spoke to unresponsive is because she was not a staff member. She was a visitor from Germany.
When guests arrive as part of our service we sit down with them with a map of Vancouver and go over all the highlights, with special emphasis on what they would like to do. We also take that opportunity to make reservations for tours, restaurants etc.
As to the allegation that we ae a low end boarding house, all anyone has to do is go to our website and look at the photos and the virtual tours to judge for themselves.

Reviewed August 12, 2010

Having travelled across Canada from Sydney, Australia we came upon the Manor Guest House after a few phone calls when we arrived in Vancouver. Seeing that there were three of us it's sometimes difficult to find affordable accommodations but the gentleman who answered the phone was quick to give us a reasonable rate for 3 nights in Vancouver and only charged a few dollars more for the third person.

The Manor is wonderful. The landscaping and gardens are stunning and we had full reign of the gardens to sit in the sun and later to have a glass of wine while enjoy the many colors and flowers.

The Manor was also conveniently close to the Westend or downtown with public transportation pretty much at its doorstep,

Our room was big and comfy and also included a kitchen which is rare in Bed and Breakfasts.

Speaking of breakfast... Dave the manager is also the chef and often seen elsewhere on the property watering the gardens, or maintaining things and he cooked up Eggs Florentine for us. We watched in awe as he whipped up a Hollandaise from scratch. There was also fresh baked muffins and breads and cheeses, homemade cereal and fruit salad and we stuffed ourselves with all their goodness.

The housekeeping staff was friendly and courteous and freshened our rooms daily. They were also helpful with directions and recommendations.

Our overall stay was fantastic. We reluctantly left after three great days and went off to Tofino. But... to the staffs surprise we headed back to the Manor for one more night after our stint in Tofino. We were welcomed back and sent off with best wishes when we ventured out to visit the U.S. for the end of our trip.

I would highly recommend the Manor Guest House in Vancouver and we certainly miss them all.

Hello from Alice folks!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank AussieAlice_10
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed at the Manor guest house in August and it was great. I arrived late and was greeted by one of the resident staff members who helped with my bags and brought me to my lovely suit on the main floor. It had a private bath and a king sized bed. I was told breakfast was at 8:30 but since I had a long night from toronto to vancouver i didnt get up until 9:45 or so but the kitchen was still full of hot food made that morning. The room was cleaned by the time I got back (I was only gone for 2h!!) and have to say it was quite nice. The breakfasts were fantastic for all 4 nights i was there and the all were very gourmet and vegetarian apart from the eggs. (even though I'm not a vegetarian I approve) Great stay wonderful staff who seem very happy to work there and interact with you. (we had great stories to exchange :) David (resident manager) took the few complaints I had to heart (dead light bulb and a piece of grout on the sink) and by the time I returned after I voiced my complaints the staff had already resolved them. Again great stay amazing location and beautiful gardens. I definatley recommend this great BnB!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelGyToronto
Reviewed August 7, 2010

After much research online I chose this B&B based on its website and photos of its rooms as well as its location. I needed to be close to the downtown area as my son was performing in a theater there. I requested a room for 10 days at C$115 per night by email and was given a queen size room with shared bath. I very much looked forward to my stay based on photos of the rooms and gardens.
On my arrival I found a key and written directions to my room waiting for me in the vestibule. I was instructed to go out of the house and walk around to the back and lower patio. I found my room and was surprised to find that it was a basement room that was so dark that on a sunny morning I had to turn the lights on to see anything in it. It was also cold and its furnishings were depressingly shabby. There was no way I could stay there for 10 days. I finally found the Resident Manager, David Martin, and he seemed surprised that I was not content with the room. He offered to show me another room in the house next door, which he then did. He said the room was $165, then said he would give it to me for $125 and it would be ready later in the day. This was better than my basement room but a bit out of my budget and I needed to think about it. I told him I needed to consult with my son and see if he had any suggestions and would let him know. He said if I decided not to stay I would be responsible for two days. I had already sent a 25% deposit. I thought I might stay for the two nights since I would have to pay for them and then possibly move.
However just one night became "the night from hell". The room proved to be not only dark and cold but damp and dirty. The microwave in which I hoped to make a cup of tea was encrusted with dried food. Next to it was a trash can filled with someone else's trash. The
bedspread was also a quilt and the underside under which I would sleep was completely frayed and in some places, leaking batting. The sheets and pillow cases were limp and certainly not crisp. During the night I awoke sneezing and on turning on the light noticed that the carvings on the headboard was quite dusty.
Another night here was certainly out of the question. After what I must say was a lovely breakfast, I met with David and told him I would be leaving that morning. His response was rude and abrasive. He said he couldn't understand why I booked 10 days when I only planned to stay for 1. And he reminded me of his offer of another room. I told him my intention had not been to be there for 1 only one night, that the other room was above my budget and I had soured on the establishment after the night I had spent. there. I felt that my deposit would certainly cover the two nights he required and he said, "So you want to get out of your deposit and the two nights requirement for canceling?" I then mentioned in detail about the state of the room and that I had never been told I would have a basement room and nowhere on the website of lovely photos was a photo of my room.
He then shoved my credit card release over at me to sign for the deposit without looking at me. I signed although it came to about $20 more that two nights would have been.
Considering the total experience I feel I should not have paid for anything but my breakfast, but I was eager to leave and to be done with it.
I have stayed at B&B's often and written good reviews of them. I do not require perfection. This was billed as "restored to its original Edwardian splendor.......custom made beds in spacious, tastefully appointed rooms........operative word is comfort." Whether the rest of the house was this way I do not know but this was very far from my experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank lamaestra39
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Too many steps to carry luggage up. No ramps and no protection from the weather to access breakfast facility. Could do with block out curtains.No privacy blinds/drapes for daytime. Incomplete projects in room e.g tiles still not completed around toilet, towel rail was on floor when we arrived and remained there on the floor 4 days later when we left, cup hook in the key hole to open the cupboard door. Room not made up one day and soap not replenished on two occasions. Locked out of room via common kitchen with owner not having another key therefore owner needed to enter another guest's room to open kitchen to allows us to enter our room. I considered it was well overpriced for the amenities and service provided.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple