“Has Potential” 3 of 5 bubbles

Barclay House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 50 Vancouver B&B and Inns
“Has Potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

We love to stay at bed and breakfasts whenever we travel so when we decided to visit Vancouver, we saw high marks here for this B & B and decided to book for two nights. Overall, our stay was average. Our room was fine and clean. The location was perfect to the main shopping area and a great walk to Stanley Park. However, breakfast was a disappointment as we really did not get the "breakfast" part of the our experience as the selection seemed like it had been prepared a few days in advance and heated in the microwave. I am not sure who owns this place but the people attending to us seemed like college students working there part time. They were nice and professional but there was no sense of true hospitality or warmness that we had experienced in other B & B's. Overall, an average stay but would consider another place while in Vancouver.

• Stayed February 2005
7 Thank Lisa L
, Owner, Innkeeper, Maintenance, Conierge, Reception, etc at Barclay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 19, 2005
Wow! Yikes! This is the first time I've responded to a user review on Tripadvisor and it's hard to know where to start. I'm responding so that you all know I care about the work we do here. It's not life or death stuff... but we take great pride in this home, our city and work very hard to help you make the most of your stay with us. Some information:

When you stay at Barclay House, you are staying in my home! I had to respond to this review (grin) because to not "know who the owner is' seems highly odd to me." I'm under 40- place great value in humour, and have been called immature on occasion, but I think it would be wishful thinking to think I could be confused with a college student.

Barclay House is is in it's 7th season, I love this lifestyle - I truly enjoy my guests. I don't think we've ever had a better product and there has never been a year in which I have devoted more personal time and energy toward my guests.... yet, there are reviews like this one. It was really disappointing and there's nothing I regret more than having an unhappy guest in my home. I'd like to help provide you with an idea of what you can expect from your stay with us!

Here's what I promise to you: When you stay with us, you are an honoured guest in my home. I make a point of making a personal connection with my guests and take a personal interest in your stay. I do take days off, however, so this may not be possible for shorter stays- especially during our peak season!

I can count on one hand the days I have taken off this summer! My staff do their best to be Innkeepers in my absence and they are all lovely people and their intentions are genuine. My staff and I really enjoy providing you with candid information based on our experience as locals and those of our guests.

Our location can not be beaten... If you place value in staying in a character home, ours will not disappoint. You will get a set hot breakfast - at set times - three courses... prepared from scratch. No microwaves.

Our time is limited due to the scale of this operation and the prices we charge. We can not be visible in the house 24/7, but we are available 24/7 by cell phone- a free call from your room. We post the number everywhere and on the first page of your concierge folder. If you need us, and I am not fixing something, prepping breakfast, or answering reservations... in an obvious location: call! I will be delighted to help!

You'll get the chance to meet some really beautiful fellow travellers at the breakfast table. The energy you put into developing converstaions and relationships with other guests often is returned ten fold. Polite, gracious, and respectful behaviour is met with overwhelming attention!

You can also expect some terrific amenities... large inviting common areas and few to no rules. As most of the furniture, art, dishes, amenities etc are personal belongings and family heirlooms (which I am delighted to share) I ask only that you take care of what is offered so that it is available for future guests and family.

I know we can't please all of the people all of the time... It seems that 9 out of 10 of our guests are hyper-sensitive to the fact that my staff and I put our hearts and souls into what we do... and that, for the largest part is our reward...

Careful what you write... make sure it's truly accurate... Bed and Breakfasts are so diverse, it's remarkable to read about people making comparisons... each has it's own mix and most are labours of love... For more information about B&B's do an internet search using the terms 'bed and breafkast etiquette' or 'bed and breakfast expectations'... you'll be amazed. I was!

Join us in Vancouver for an authentic experience in one of Vancouver's few remaining 'first homes'! We look forward to your visit!

-Patrik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2005

We stayed 7 nights in the East Suite in Barclay House in September 2005.

The B&B is in an excellent location for Robson and Davie street where you will find a massive choice of restaurants and shops, and is particularly good if you like Starbucks, as there is one on every street corner – and on both sides of the road!!!

Unfortunately, we did not choose the best room in the house, and this one had a good view of a wall which made the room very dark. You could also see directly into the student accommodation next door, which comes as a bit of a shock if you are not used to living in a busy city – which we aren't. The other guests that we spoke to seemed to be extremely happy with their rooms so I guess we were just unlucky. I think the Hideaway, Penthouse and Garden Suite were the most popular.

Having said that, we found our host Patrik and his staff to be very friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed our conversations with Patrik and the many guests which came and went during our stay. Our breakfasts were delicious – fruit and muffin’s to start followed by home cooked breakfast which was always different every day. The house was also kept spotlessly clean as was our room.

We would highly recommend Barclay House for a stay in Vancouver.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank PopMart
Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2005

We stayed here for our first visit to Vancouver and were very pleased with the Garden Suite. Spacious, clean and very comfortable. We were made welcome and enjoyed chatting with other guests over breakfast. The location is superb - close to Robson Street for shopping and dining and to Stanley Park for leisure. Make sure to hire bikes to cycle round the coastal path. We would recommend Barclay House for your stay in Vancouver.

D & M, UK.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank Bishopburt
Montreal, Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2005

I was aware of the Barclay House for years, but had no reason to stay there. When the opportunity arose, we took it. We stayed in the Penthouse, which was quiet and well-appointed. Breakfast was excellent and we enjoyed talking with Patrik and Rob. The wireless internet wasn't working, but we were there to rest, so, in the end, it wasn't a big deal. The location was ideal for our visit, being in a quiet neighborhood, but close to Davie Street. Having parking was a definite selling point for us.

• Stayed April 2005
1 Thank Christopher B
Glendale, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2005

We were disappointed. Our room was intensely hot during our stay and also we were bothered by paint fumes as they were painting the basement to turn it into a new room. The owner was barely there. The girl who was in charge tried to bill us twice for the room. Service seemed shakey generally.
On the plus side: the rooms are huge; it's incredibly convenient to Robson, Denman and Davie streets; the food is very good.
But it really isn't the best in town or even close.

• Stayed July 2005