“First time for a poor experience in a B&B”

Maple Beach Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We chose the house for its proximity to UBC and we prefer B&Bs. The bed was comfortable, the room & bathroom were tidy but needed a good cleaning & some repairs. I was able to have breakfast one morning and wasn't sure what to do-OJ on the table and french toast was served. I waited for awhile wondering if there was anything else. We have been to many B&Bs in BC and elsewhere and were surprised by the lack of connection with the hosts. I don't agree that the price should dictate lower service or quality-other places charge less and provide much more in terms of friendly service & quality.

Room Tip: Read tripadvisor before booking!!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank andswan

Reviewed October 13, 2010

Stayed here for a week during a conference. Everyone else paying big at the hotels downtown, but a 5 minute bus ride puts you in gorgeous Kits in one of the famous painted wooden houses, right near the beach, running track, sea pool, Granville island markets, restaurants and shops. The B&B is small and friendly, my room was clean and quiet with a small tv and fridge and its own bathroom. Breakfast basic pancakes, frittata, fruit, good to have coffee and OJ inhouse. It's not 5 star but for $80 in this very upmarket central area, this is a bargain. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Vantraveller_10
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My bike and me, we have been in Maple Beach B&B for 21 days in June 2010 and I remember with a big thank.
The location of this B&B is great. In walking distance is Kitsilano Beach with the beautiful
pool, Granville Island, Vancouver Museum, Science Center and wonderful restaurants,
coffee shops, banks and stores along the 4th Avenue. The busline is one block away.
The rooms are clean, the breakfast is very well prepared and plenty of it.
Internet and local calls are for free.
Kim and Paty are doing an excellent job. If you want a good and value location in a peaceful and quiet home with mild street noice, go for it there.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Rose-Germany
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Our second time there and coming back soon, this charming house is located in one of Vancouver's best neighbourhoods in close proximity to beautiful beaches, parks, great resturants & Bars chic shops, Granville Isl Market 15 min walk., excellent public transportation. Lovely home cooked breakfast and accomodating hosts. We recommend it.
Lots of informative brochures about Vancouver available.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IsabelUk
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Maple Beach B&B is a place we cannot recommend. The hosts were polite but we did not experience them as helpful or friendly. The breakfast was extremely plain, something we had not come across in any B&B in Canada before. Our room was the Paty-O-Suite. This means two rooms with ensuite bath in the basement with very low ceilings (brushing your hair you knocked on the ceiling), one tiny window and part of the furniture which left there because perhaps there was no room for it elsewhere. We only stayed on because of the one advantage it has and that is the location. It is close to Kitsilano Beach and there are some eateries and a bus stop nearby.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarlisIrmgard
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights and there are clear pluses and minuses to the experience at Maple Beach.

+ great location; 1 block from bus stop, walking distance to numerous shops, restaurants, cafes, beach, pool
+ affordable room, although it was not exactly what I expected - see below.
+ okay breakfast; food was solid; frittata one morning with toast and fruit; pancakes another day
+ hosts were nice, especially Patricia (who interacts mostly with guests). Kim is quieter but polite.
+ free wireless internet; each room is lockable and you get a key.

Arrival is a bit tricky because the owners are not always around so you should coordinate ahead of time with them. We got the driveway parking spot so that was good (beware of the fig tree sap drippings).

I understand that this b&b offers a budget experience, but I was disappointed in the room and the condition of the premises. Basically, the home needs some improvements (not modernizing per se; more like painting and fixing drywall in bath; retiling shower, etc). I understand it is an old house and it has charm (beautiful wood stairwell; cute exterior, nice front garden), but as an owner of a 100 year old house myself, I expect that there will be fixes that need to be made and I wish the owners would do so. Both the bath and bedroom (en suite) were clean, which I appreciated, but my headboard was not attached to the bed and the mattress and pillows were not at all comfortable. My dresser drawers were broken. I think Kim (the owner) mentions this being a "budget traveller" b&b in another posting, but I did not expect the condition of the premises to be what they were. For this reason, I would not stay here again...but if you get a good rate and are okay with what you'll get, then it might be the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed at the Maple Beach B&B on a short break to Vancouver. Our hosts, Kim and Patricia were BOTH welcoming and helpful. During our 3 day stay, we had 3 different breakfasts, all of which were home-cooked, well presented and tasty. We also had the pancakes and, even with our hearty appetites, are baffled by another reviewer's description of them as "small". Coffee was refilled as needed too. Over the years, we have stayed in a variety of Vancouver B&Bs, some expensive and "upmarket", and others across the board. This time, we had a limited budget and looked for something. still in Kits, that offered good value for money. Maple Beach definitely did, and we would certainly stay there again. Our room was clean and spacious, and we had the hall bathroom (however some of the rooms do have en suites) which was clean and more in keeping with the age of the house than the modernised ensuite bathrooms. The bath linen is changed every couple of days and/or upon request (an environmentally friendly policy with which surely most reasonable people would agree?). The hosts have good local knowledge and were accessible without being an overbearing presence. Once, in another Vancouver B&B we seemed to be constantly, tediously and unnecessarily watched over by our hosts in a way that destroyed the privacy needed to relax when on holiday! There was no such oppressive atmosphere here, but the house is quietly and efficiently run and I felt secure on the premises. There is some street noise from along the road (near, but not on, a busy route) and my only quibble is that as a very light sleeper I would have welcomed heavier curtains to keep out the light. The location is excellent, and I would recommend the Maple Beach to travellers who want a comfortable, safe base from which to explore the city: it is a B&B not a rental suite, so not designed for hanging around during the day. It is also a family home thus not suitable for the "party animal", we and our fellow guests were quite mellow types and I thought the place offered great value for money.

• Stayed: April 2010