“We stayed in both dorm & private room, review is mainly based on private room”

Hostelling International Vancouver Jericho Beach Hostel
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the co-ed dorm for the first couple of nights as the private rooms were fully booked. Then we moved into a private room for our last night which topped off a good stay here.
The only downside to the dorm was there was no power points accessible for bed 1&2 as the outlets are behind a bench seat that goes along the wall & our plugs would not fit behind. There was 2 plugs accessible to beds 3&4 but were used by our room mates. The barracks style dorm accommodation is not for us, I don't mind dorms but these only have a curtain blocking off the entrance to the room which offered less privacy to what dorms already normally lack.
Once in the private room we had a great stay, still used the shared washrooms but slept much better without people coming in at all hours & turning lights on & banging doors.
The staff were very friendly & helpful & the location was ideal for us to relax at the beach & also walked to BCU via the beach :)

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank worldwide_wandererz

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We bought a private room here.... The hostel is clean and has plenty of space along with all the usual facilities. (Large kitchen) A room fan would have been nice. They run a cafe for breakfast, lunch and dinner, although it did close quite early.
A short walk to the beach (Sailing club with good eatery) and the park, which is inhabited by a myriad of rabbits.
It is a bit of a hike up the road if you go into the city by bus, which is 15 minutes. but not too bad.
The Hostel hires bikes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Greg L
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband has been staying here for 20 years now. I have for about 10. We stay here whenever we go to Vancouver. When staying in a Hostel, you have to expect noise, even if in a private room. The building is historic... I think old military housing or a school, so it will suffer from door slams and strange odors, but each year they do a significant upgrade. BONUS, SCREENS IN THE WINDOW!

Anyhow, I have stayed here and adore the location, you cannot get better. The beach and dock is maybe 50 steps away and is enchanting on a warm summer night. There are wild fauna all over the place, which I think is charming. Bunnies, squirrels, coyotes, birds, seals, otters.... I enjoy talking with fellow travelers, I've met folks fromNew Zealand, Scotland, England, France... You name it.

The hostel is surrounded by big beautiful trees, lush park grounds, and there is free parking just up the block. Be careful with the parking situation here. I got there and went to check in and get change for the machine, literally 3 minutes later I had a parking ticket. The manager graciously helped us with this situation and it just solidifies my firm belief that if you want a place to stay just minutes for the city, with a decent rate and brilliant energy to check this place out. The staff is helpful and personally, I like that they employ young people.

If you are looking for some place silent and with a clinical feeling and room service, go somewhere else. A Hostel is meant to be an experience, this place is magic and this place isn't for someone who is a stick in the mud.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank huntermanson
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Slamming door again and again all night long... I did not sleep at all because of this and also because of the noise coming from the park.

If you want to complain to the manager, the only answer you will get is : Unfortunatly I just can't do anything for this. I know this because I ask the staff at the front desk to call him.

I won't even recommend this hotel to my worst enemy! I don't hate him at this point!

DO NOT BOOK A ROOM THERE. It is too much expensive for trying to sleep!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank b3rnatch3z
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for three nights last week. We stayed in a private room. These rooms are very noisy. Doors slamming all night long and making a lot of noise. Also, the hostel is in a park that never close at night. So people run and scream like crazy at 2 a.m. When we advise the staff about it, they said they couldn't do anything and were almost laughing at us.
Also, some of our food and beverages have been stolen in the fridge. Even then, nothing could be done by the staff.
Otherwise, it is very clean. Never saw so many persons cleaning around, almost annoying.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lillejenny13
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Spent 2 nights at the Jericho Beach Hostel a few weeks ago to write a post about it. I've been curious about it for years and wondered what it would be like to actually stay there. I even stayed in the dorm! (not my usual choice). Single, female and 60, it was interesting. I LOVED the location! As I live in Vancouver (West End) I have been several times but somehow staying there (even for just a couple of days) gave me a whole new appreciation for it. It is a bit of a hike from the airport but easily do-able. I am not a fan of the dorm situation but that could be me. They are very big (14 beds) separated into 2 bunk cubicles. It was quiet when I was there end of May but during high season it could easily be a gong show. I couldn't really find quiet corners to hang and read but the restaurant is good and the kitchen is well equipped. If you want to read more check out my site http://travellingcrone.com/.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Traveling C
Reviewed October 7, 2012

After arriving in Vancouver from Whistler and having a week of chilled out travelling from Calgary, my friend and I felt quite overwhelmed by the craziness of downtown and surrounding areas and we needed to escape! With a little help from the sat nav and the lonely planet guide book made an escape and headed for Jericho beach and the HI. The location was great and we stayed for 2 nights in a private room. We had a car and the free parking in the nearby road was great! We were lucky as the day we arrived there was an open day and we were treated to complimentary salmon BBQ! Access to downtown was easy whether driving or using public transport. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. Very much enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends