“Great location poor service”

Granville Island Hotel
Ranked #20 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Courtenay, Canada
“Great location poor service”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have just returned from a trip to Vancouver visiting my brothers for a golf trip. One brother lives in Vancouver the other Toronto. 2 of us stayed at the Granville hotel as thought it would be central and allow us easily to visit with our brother who lived across the harbour. This was the case as we were close the harbour taxi. A great way to get around. The room at the hotel was clean and had a partial view of the water. Very nice view. The 3 of us had our first dinner there and were not impressed by the service. It was very slow,, The food when it came was very good. Breakfast although a little better required my brother to order tea from 2 staff members approximately 20 minutes wait before it came to him. We had poor response in the lounge as well. We took an evening walk and went to lounge for a coffee and brandy. The bartender could not locate coffee mugs. We ended up with 2 different style and colour of mugs. He had to leave to find them. They could have been staff member mugs just cleaned for us, I'm not sure but certainly wasn't what we expected of a hotel of this apparent quality. I'm not sure if I return that I would give this rather pricey hotel a second chance. Location is great, rooms nice, but not special, service in restaurant ,,,,,terrible.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Reg L
gihotel, Director of Sales at Granville Island Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the hotel! I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I am disappointed that you had a negative restaurant experience though.

The message below is from the Dockside Restaurant's General Manager:

Please allow me to begin by thanking you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback, and also to apologize for your poor experience when visiting the Dockside Restaurant. What you encountered is not at all up to the standards we hold ourselves to, nor what you should rightfully expect from us. I am very embarrassed to hear the details of your dining experience. Please know I am personally looking in to the issues you encountered, and any further information you could provide (the dates and times of your visits to the restaurant) would be most helpful in addressing my team with the service errors you endured. I very much appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience, and in doing so offer us this chance to apologize, and hopefully as well to make amends. If you would care to reach out to me directly, I would be happy to speak further to this and offer you an opportunity to join us in the future at the Dockside as my guest. Please again allow me to apologize for the poor service you encountered. I very much hope you consider my offer to contact me directly, and I wish you all the best.

Eugene Vassilev
Director of Food & Beverage Operations
Granville Island Hotel | Dockside Restaurant
www.Docksidevancouver.com
P: 604-685-7070
F: 604-685-7079

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Korean first
Monte Sereno
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I spent two days at the hotel on Granville Island. It's a great, relaxing place. Lots to do and eat right near the hotel. The staff is very accommodating and helpful. The Dockside restaurant at the hotel is very good with excellent views of the harbor. It was also quiet enough for a business dinner

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our annual August visit at the Granville Hotel once again was a delightful experience. The hotel is centrally located on Granville Island---ideal for many Vancouver attractions. Our room had a harbor view with more than adequate space for a multiple day stay. The staff is efficient and gracious--a sometime rare commodity these days! We enjoy not having a car and using the water taxi/ferry system that serves the Island so easily. The trolley is fun and shuttles one about Vancouver easily. Taxis are quickly available as well. Granville Island has an abundance of shops, galleries, restaurants and The Public Market--a not to be missed experience, The Dockside Restaurant at the hotel is very good and has a lovely patio for sunny days. The Dockside includes a on-side brewery to further entice diners!

Room Tip: The larger rooms with harbor room are well worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carole C
Smyrna, Delaware
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We booked using Expedia as the hotel site showed no rooms available for our dates. When we searched using this site showed three rooms left. So we took a double bed room for our group and once we got off of our cruise ship, our daughter called to confirm that we had a rollaway bed for the room also. We arrived and sure enough room is ready and bed is in place. We expected a concierge which they do not have and the desk was always busy. They were ok in helping us for dining locations as dining not an option because of a wedding. Seemed to be the case for the second day as well. We had a clean room and got the needed towels from front desk. Parking is terrible. Our son in laws car was damaged the second nite after the valet told him where to park his vehicle. So beware especially during the weekend. Not a great way to end our vacation with our family as our son in law gets deployed in a few weeks. We expected a little more for the rather high price compared to other choices in Vancouver. And a side note...take ear plugs...the A/C runs very loud...doesn't cool well but its very noisy...we were on the second floor over looking the patio area..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank crisndeefromde
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The room was totally relaxing and from the bed I had a beautiful view of all the activity in False Creek (the lights at night were soothing). Housekeeping did a wonderful job of keeping our room neat, comfortable, and replenished -- kudos!
The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. Parking can be challenging (writing this review I found a coupon for one night's free parking; which the front desk did not offer even though I was there for three nights).. It is not good when TripAdvisor outdoes the hotel's loyal guests.
It is also noteworthy that on the first night one gets a free bottle of Granville Island water; but not on successive nights. Guess I was only really welcome for one night.
The newspaper at the door was really a great touch and the TV and internet were superb.
Overall, given its outstanding location and unique "oasis" location -- I will return next August and hopefully the minor hospitality issues will be addressed!

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is certainly worthwhile (if the sun is shining!)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Pershore, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were visiting Vancouver to attend a family wedding at this hotel! What a great choice!
The hotel is comfortable and well appointed. The Dockside Restaurant is busy. The food is tasty and service is largely efficient. As Europeans we were a little confused by our lack of privilege as 'residents' but once we adjusted to the system we found everything worked well! The hotel is really well placed to enjoy Vancouver as a tourist. Granville Island is a busy, arty, foodie place. The Aquabus service is fun and makes trips downtown easy. Not a budget choice, but it's location make it good value. I would recommend this hotel for a short, concentrated stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine, CA
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The corner room was very big with nice views of the harbor. The bathroom was gigantic. There is no concierge and the front desk can be quite busy. The wifi and business center Internet were not working the whole morning that we were trying to make plans for the day. The A/C in the room was the loudest thing we'd ever experienced. Forget trying to sleep with it on.. The shower from our room and the adjacent room rattled the walls so loudly we thought something was going to break. I wouldn't make this a long term stay but it worked for one night

• Stayed August 2013