“Small town hospitality in the big city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of West End Guest House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
West End Guest House
Ranked #1 of 50 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Small town hospitality in the big city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We felt like we were a guest in Evan's home! Such a treat, and so different from staying in a hotel. Great breakfasts and snacks, and the bed in our room (French Queen) was fantastic, with heavenly clouds of pillows and super cozy sheets. Can't wait to visit again in the summertime!
We couldn't have asked for a better home away from home for our weekend getaway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at this B&B for the first time in early November. We can confirm the wonderful reviews written by many other guests. It is a unique house, and the owners have succeeded in maintaining its historic character while providing every modern comfort and convenience - and more. For example, every evening we returned to warmly lit reception rooms to find a plate of home-made cookies placed on the table for late night snacks. Although the house is very centrally located, it was wonderfully quiet at night and we slept well in extremely comfortable beds. Breakfast was a gourmet surprise every morning and enjoyed around a big table where we met and chatted with the other guests. Real care and imagination go into preparing a different menu each day with fresh fruit juice, a delicious fruit plate and then a hot dish such as eggs benedict with steamed asparagus or a toasted bagel with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Other thoughtful touches are the little pantry where guests can make hot drinks, the choice of period furnishings, and the displays of letters and historical objects which evoke a bygone era. We were at the guest house on Remembrance Day (November 11), and the owners had arranged some World War 1 memorabilia decorated with the red paper poppy pins worn at this time in Canada. This is obviously a much loved house, and it is clear the owners enjoy extending as warm a welcome as they can. This is definitely our first choice for accommodation in Vancouver.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had the pleasure last week of staying a couple of nights at the West End Guest House in Vancouver. The location is great if you need to be downtown, and you're also close to Stanley Park. Plus, the West End is a lovely area in the city of Vancouver.
Innkeepers Evan and Ron are wonderful hosts, serve a delicious breakfast, and are very well informed and helpful with information. The antique filled home is beautiful but has all the needed modern amenities. I look forward to staying at West End Guest House again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

After much research, we decided on West End Guest House. Not only was the historic house kept in perfect condition, the overall accommodations were well thought out. You could easily see that the innkeepers were caring and thoughtful, thinking of their guests in every amenity. The innkeepers, Evan and Ron, were absolutely delightful! They always have the comfort of their guests foremost in the preparation of breakfast and the lovely "Sherry" time each evening. I hope we can return to enjoy another time.

Room Tip: Share your details with the Innkeepers as they will work diligently to accommodate your needs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bulagirl_12
Evan55, Owner at West End Guest House, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
This reviewer is absolutely correct. I enjoy working with my guests travel plans, whatever they are. Back in my hotel days I never got a chance to work as the Concierge but could always see the benefit for the guest of their work. Not only do I want to see that your trip is going as good as it can I feel privileged to be given an opportunity to be part of it...and, if you let me, to work with your travel needs. We have a binder of restaurant menus at the house, we offer bikes to enjoy a ride around Stanley Park, maps and tourist information, provide easier directions than GPS, and we help with arrangements with all sorts of reservations, activities and plans.

For the last 22 years it has always been my hope that we will do more than merely provide accommodation.
Stirling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Would that all guest houses could take a leaf from this one! We have stayed in quite a lot of B&Bs but this one is by far the best. Evan provides a warm welcome to a home which is interestingly and beautifully furnished to suit its history but has all modern conveniences. It's immaculately clean and has so many friendly, thoughtful touches including - a named welcome card and chocolates in the bedroom, access to internet, guest kitchen with tea/coffee/chocolate/soft drinks, DVDs etc. All this before the breakfasts, which were fabulous and had different dishes each day, plus home made muffins/scones. We met some really interesting people from all over the world, whilst lingering over the delicious breakfasts at the large shared table. Evan and Ron ensured we had up to date information for our travels, helped us find accommodation when we were stuck with our onward travel arrangements and discreetly ensured all guests' individual requirements were addressed. They have a great sense of humour and the rare ability of being able to put everyone at ease. The guest house location is very central, making access to places easy. Visit, and you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Each room is individually decorated and furnished, some larger than others but all beautifully furni...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Evan Penner is the incredible owner of the West End Guest House. He so obviously loves what he does- here's all the great touches that he provided:

1) As my husband and I arrived, Evan met us on the porch, greeted me by name, took my suitcase and got us into our room within minutes. He then invited us down to the parlor where other guests were chatting and enjoying afternoon sherry.
2) In our room was a note addressed to me and my husband, welcoming us to the guest house, along with two pieces of homemade candy.
3) Evan was consistently available for questions, dinner suggestions and excursions. He booked everything for us in advance. He also has an uncanny knack for knowing what my husband and I would enjoy.
4) Evan truly seems to enjoy his guests. I have stayed at many B&Bs where I felt more in the way than a guest. At West End, I felt like a friend of the family. Evan was never too busy to tell us about the local history or how he came to be the owner of the West End Guest House, and with a lovely sense of humor, to boot!
5) When we departed, it was with hugs and Evan told us how much he enjoyed our stay. Again, this is more like staying with a friend than any other experience I've had at a B&B.

So, obviously- I'm a fan. My husband and I stayed in the French Queen's bedroom, a small, but very nicely appointed room with dark walls and antique furniture. A small television perched high as if we were in a hospital bed, which made good use of the room. There was also a flat screen gas fireplace which we enjoyed using. The weather wasn't the greatest, so we often stayed in at night and watched movies from Evan's great selection of DVDs.

Little touches like the handmade lavender soap tied with curling ribbon in the bathroom made me smile. I liked that it was original, economical and artisan. The towels were soft and a lovely sage green instead of institutional white, furthering the distance from a hotel experience.

Did I mention breakfast yet? Wow, Evan is also a great chef- breakfast burritos, pancakes, omelets, each breakfast was delicious, starting with a different smoothie. It was great to briefly meet folks from around the world at the breakfast table; we spoke with couples from Oregon, China, Montreal and singles from Australia and Switzerland. Quite the international scene and thoroughly enjoyable.

Vancouver is a great walking city and the location of the West End Guest House is perfect. Although surrounded by high-rise condos/apartment buildings, it is a breath of Victorian/Edwardian perfection in a sea of ugly urbanism. It's great to get out in the modern world and return to the delightful calm and warmth of the West End Guest House. Give it a try- I don't think you'll be disappointed. I hope that my husband and I will be back to enjoy it again.

Room Tip: You may want to try a larger room, but that's just me.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks Kimberly. I count myself SO lucky that I have a job that I love to do AND I get to meet people like you and your husband. You were both interesting and engaging and appreciative. Not to say that most of our guests aren't like that, in fact most people bring something so special to the house that is is a delight to be the Host and just have to make sure it all works.
I hear what you say about the room being small. This house was built in 1906 and I've kept the rooms original but for today's bigger beds and luggage etc it is a little tight. Good news is that we do have 3 other rooms that are larger including one that we are working on soon - the Pair and the Spare...a king bed and a day bed, or two twins and a daybed. And the Junior Deluxe Queen would have been a great room to have selected for you EXCEPT that it has only just been created from the Fickle Twins room. Top floor and comfy. Hope to see you soon.
winnipeg,manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I have experienced many B and B's in various cities. West End Guest House gets a five star rating, Clean, comfortable and beautifully furnished, this house is in an interesting part of Vancouver, accessible to various activities, innumerable restaurants and shopping opportunities. The breakfasts are delicious and beautifully presented. Snacks and afternoon sherry are provided for the enjoyment of the guests.The rooms are supplied with everything one might need.Above all both Evan and Ron, the hosts, as well as the entire staff, are always pleasant and helpful The Mitchells

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family