“Comfey room”

Ranked #1 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Chemainus
“Comfey room”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

While on business in Vancouver. I had the pleasure of staying with Evan and Ron. I had the Cozy Double being on my own it was quite suitable. The room is very quaint with the bed tucked between the two windows.Even a little TV to watch while in bed or from the chair provided. That nice piece of white chocolate bark was just the right added touch before bed. Oh those comfey sheets made it great to snuggle in and the feather topper was so soft. Having arthritis it is the first time in a long while I awoke refreshed and no pain. Breakfast was fantastic and I loved all the lovely different china settings. If coming for business or pleasure a stay at West End Guest House would be great choice for anyone. All rooms are different and very well appointed. I would give them 5+ stars.

Room Tip: Check with Evan and Ron as all rooms are so different you need the right room for your needs.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Linda D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Parksville
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I recently had the opportunity of staying at the West End Guest House. This lovely old heritage house is located in the heart of Vancouver's West end and accessible to all the attractions as well as numerous restaurants. Evan & Ron provide the ultimate in hospitality. The bedrooms are so well appointed and sleeping on those gorgeous feather beds is like sleeping on marshmallows. Not only is attention given to the appearance of this wonderful establishment but the breakfasts are absolutely scrumptious and attractively presented. I highly recommend that all visitors to Vancouver book a stay at this very unique and very comfortable B&B. I can assure you, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Any room you choose will not disappoint.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Gig Harbor, WA
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The beautiful city of Vancouver was made even more special by the personal hospitality shown us at the West End Guest House. The rooms are lovely, the sherry hour a real treat, and the breakfasts are very, very special. The central location makes getting around easy. Although it's centralized, it's so very quiet. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

, Owner at West End Guest House, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thanks Mary and Mike,

You know, for me, the owner the real "special" here is our guests. I am so lucky to attract interesting, kind, considerate guests! I can't believe it is 21 years since I bought the house - it seems like yesterday, each day is a delightful blessing.

It will great to welcome you back when you return some time soon.

cheers,
Evan

PS Thanks for your compliment about replying to your email so quickly, I realize that is why I got your booking - so it is a double compliment to me!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Husband and I had a very pleasant stay at the West End. Despite our last minute booking, Evan was prompt to respond to our email queries, and we were even upgraded to a better room upon arrival as one was available. The house is quaint and very homey. There is a pantry where guests can help themselves to fruit, drinks, nuts and sherry. We stayed in the Deluxe Queen for one night and the Grand Queen for the next two. Both rooms were lovely. The beds were huge and very comfortable - a bit too soft for my liking but that is a personal preference. The free wifi connection was considerably better in the Deluxe Queen than the Grand Queen, probably because the Grand Queen was at the top of the house. Breakfasts were very well done - the communal dining style (with everyone sitting around one table) may not suit every traveller but it was fairly interesting swapping tales with other guests. The guest house is well situated, in a quiet residential district which is a very short walk from Robson Street and many good restaurants. Would definitely stay again.

, Owner at West End Guest House, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Hello Tammy and Z,

Thanks for taking the time out to write about your stay with us. I have to admit I agree about the Wi-Fi connection up on the top floor - it works but not the best. But with this tip maybe I can find a way to improve on that.

We have feather mattresses on some of our beds, but not on all. I think next time we'll make sure you get one of the beds without the feather...my sister doesn't like it either, but I wouldn't sleep without it. You are correct, it is a personal preference.

In this ever shrinking world Vancouver and Singapore are pretty near to each other...I hope we can welcome you back sometime.

sincerely,

Evan
Auchterarder, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband and10 year old son stayed here on our last 3 nights in Vancouver after a 16 day tour of Canada. Despite staying in some lovely hotels, this was our best accommodation by far! The house is understated elegance with every attention to detail having been thought of. As there were 3 of us, we stayed in the Grand Queen, right at the top of the house - a stunning room with the comfiest beds ever!! The house is situated in the beautiful West End, within easy walking distance of lots of the main attractions including Stanley Park, the waterfront....and for those wishing a bit of retail therapy - Robson Street. Despite being central, there is no city noise - we live in the country in Scotland - the West End Guest House is as quiet. Evan and Ron are great hosts - staying at the B & B is like joining an extended family - and they do all the cooking! We met some wonderful people over our 3 days - some like us holidaying, and some in Vancouver on business. The fabulous breakfasts (home made smoothies, fresh fruit and then a home cooked main - the Eggs Benny are to die for!) were a really sophisticated and calming start to the day. There is also a guests pantry which provides complimentary tea/coffee facilities as well as cool drinks and home made treats - this is accessible 24 hours should you feel like a midnight snack. All the cooking is done by Evan and Ron were extremely helpful with suggestions for visits and eateries - and their recommendations were spot on. We did partake of a little sherry one evening (complimentary between 5 and 7pm in the lounge) and had another chance to chat to fellow guests - very civilized and a nice start to the evening. Evan and Ron look after the B & B almost entirely themselves, but special mention should also be made of Carolina, who helped over a couple of breakfasts - she was charming, attentive and Marcus loved her. I could go on and on.........but for anyone considering a trip to Vancouver, all I would say is, hotels are all good and well and they have their place, but for a truly wonderful experience, with wonderful hosts, in a wonderful location and a wonderful house, you MUST stay here. Thanks to Ron, Evan and Carolina (not to mention Friday and Persia - the dogs) for your hospitality.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Plymouth
Reviewed October 30, 2011

A single traveller over 80 on a budget I stayed in the 'Cozy Room' for 4 nights. The room was compact, but had all I needed, with an efficient shower and really comfortable bed. The outstanding feature was the breakfast which was delicious - fresh baking each day, fruit joices and fruit and excellent cooked course - and not only set me up for the day but almost served for supper as well! Also the very handy pantry downstairs which always had some pastries or cake on offer for us to help ourselves as well as the kettle and an array of teas/coffees. This more than made up for the lack of a kettle in the room (there was fresh cold drinking water there).

All in all a great find.

Joan H.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Joan H
Palatine, IL
Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days this month at the end of a trans-Canada train- and bus tour. The house is simply beautiful, and Evan and Ron certainly made everyone feel so comfortable. Centrally located, near downtown, we were within easy walking distance of most of the places we wanted to go. Evan was very helpful with suggestions for things to do, places to eat, etc. The rooms were so cozy and had every amenity you could want; spotlessly clean, too. We would love to stay here again and will wholeheartedly recommend the West End Guest House to anyone we know visiting Vancouver.