“Very satisfied!”
Review of Rosedale on Robson

Rosedale on Robson
Ranked #39 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Great hotel. Very good location, friendly staff, good restaurant. Would go there again in a heartbeat!

Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,659)

Reviewed November 2, 2009

This hotel is a great spot for extended stays. It is an all suite hotel and in my room, I had an oven, microwave, fridge and stove top. Perfect for the traveller who wants to save money on dining out. It is in a great location on Robson Street close to theatres and sporting events. It is a bit tired and could use some updating, plus the bed was not the most comfortable, but for the price and location, this is a great spot.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2009

This was our 3rd time staying at the Rosedale. The first time we were in a standard suite and we quickly determined we'd never do that again! The second time we spent more money ($30 I think) to stay in a Superior Queen suite, which was definately better.....this time we also opted for the Superior Queen, but we were a little more critical. In a nutshell, I think for the increase in price they should offer up better beds...the beds are old and uncomfortable (and squeeky) and are exactly the same as the standard room beds. The livingroom furniture is uncomfortable and ugly and the TVs are old and very small. There is only one ice machine on the 2nd floor....we were on the 20th floor....they do have ice cube trays in your freezer, but the ice had a disgusting flavour, probably from the ice tray soaking up various food smells from all the previous guests (ewww). The towels in our room were ugly mismatched brown things and not very large....and only a set of 2 (we probably could have requested extras). The bathroom is tight and needs updating. I had forgotten how the shower curtain blows in at you and that there isn't a nice curved shower rod. Also, you'd think they'd give you at least one housecoat in an "upgraded" room. In a nutshell, the view will be better in a superior room, but not much else.....and, if you are there for a concert you will not be hanging in your room looking out the window all day.
Oh yeah, the continental breakfast ended at 9:30am the day we were there.....the morning after a concert is not the time to have to rush for breakfast! Building is not terribly secure either....don't have to use your room key to get from parking area or in the elevator.
If what you want is great proximity to GM Place or BC Place at a relatively decent price, then you'll probably be happy here. If you are fairly picky (like I am), then for sure spend the $$ for the superior suite, but be prepared for it not to be "superior".

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We stayed for 4-nights at the Rosedale on Robson from the 22-26 August 2009. This was the beginning of a month long independent tour of BC and Alberta - mostly staying in small B&Bs - and we were not disappointed with our first accommodation, the first of two hotels out of the total of nine places we stayed.

I was a bit concerned prior to our arrival by other TA reviews regarding the refurbishment (or lack of) of the rooms but my concern was unfounded.

We were allocated room 508 - a refurbished suite for two. The whole of the 5th floor appears to have been refurbished. The space was brilliant with a separate bedroom with kingsize bed (spare pillows and blankets in drawers). There was a galley kitchenette (fridge/hot plates and sink) with tea, coffee and milk which was very useful for a 'cuppa' in the morning. The bathroom was very clean with good toiletries, towels and flannels. There was a living area with writing desk and TV and a second TV in the bedroom. The rooms were serviced every day.

The hotel entrance is actually located just off of Robson Street and I was expecting some noise as it is in the heart of Vancouver (there is also a firestation a few doors down). However it was fairly quiet, especially as the rooms are double glazed. As I am married to a fresh air addict the window was opened a little each night and despite being a light sleeper I had no problem, although some people might want earplugs to be on the safe side. The location is perfect for accessing Robson Street for shops (30 seconds!), Gastown (10-minutes walk) and Canada Place (15-minutes walk). There is a cash-point for Visa and Mastercards situated in the 7-11 on the corner of the street which is safe and has no charge for Nationwide Visa holders.

There is a pool and jacuzzi along with some running machines etc. on the gound floor (to the left of the reception) which we did not use but looked clean etc. Breakfast is not included but Rosies is situated in the hotel and is good value.

Our recommendation however is to have breakfast in 'Cafe Vancouver' a turkish cafe situated on the opposite side of the road next to the firestation. The coffee is superb and they have free WiFi access. We ended up there each morning having cinnamon muffins and pastries whilst catching up with emails. In fact that is the only downside of the hotel - is a lack of free internet access. The only way to access the internet was to register with an external company and pay by the minute. In this day and age I expect all big hotels to have internet capacity. However this is a small down-side and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EmmaDurnford
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights prior to cruising the Alaskan inner passage, my husband, mother-in-law and me.
Lobby is dingy and the carpet looked in need of a good clean/renewal. Reception staff were helpful if not overly welcoming. The 'suite' was very small and in need of a proper clean, dust on most surfaces. The A/C was extremely noisy as was the antiquated refrigerator. Between both these things it meant that my mother-in-law had to share the bedroom with us to get a good night's sleep. When I complained it felt like the staff didn't give a jot about it. I was advised that some one would look at the A/C but to my knowledge this wasn't done. We ended up switching it off as we could still hear it with the bedroom door closed. (Reading other reviews it seems that this is a common problem) I was told that I should leave a message for the cleaner regarding the dust in the rooms! On the plus side, we felt that the beds were extremely comfortable.
We breakfasted in Rosies each morning as my mum-in-law has mobility problems. Yes it was a bit pricey but the food was good and the service on Thurs and Frid was excellent. Well done Jane - you were the best thing about the Rosedale. (I've given service a high rating but only because of Jane) The service on Sat and Sun was very poor being given by two younger girls who seemed not to have had much training.
The pool and surrounding areas were good, clean and well maintained. The 'gym' was a joke.
Not somewhere I would consider using again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I stayed at the Rosedale for 5 nights in Oct. The hotel is nicely located for visiting Vanc. The customer service A++ and the rate was good considering $99 night booked through expedia. Major drawback for me was the bed. It was extremely hard felt like I was sleeping on the floor. Asked for room change to see if bed was softer elsewhere. It wasn't got another hard bed. I stayed on the 9th floor #913 this side of the building is much more quiet than the #907 that I was switched to hoping for a softer bed. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel. A couple of things to add would be try to get up as high as you can due to the street noise and if the hard bed is an issue take the mattress from the sofa sleeper bed and put on top of your bed.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2009

This is an average hotel with an excellent location. Appears to be worn down and maintenance is apparently not a priority.
The restaurant Rosies (read pub...) has too high prices compared to the standard.
But rooms are nice and clean but with very noisy aircon..
The roof-garden (on 2nd. floor) is certainly not very charming - but of good use as a small refuge for smokers - which is a positive thing.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family