“Somewhat Disappointing”

Landis Hotel & Suites
Ranked #61 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I stayed in the Landis for a week in Juily 2008. My main reasons for staying there were the favourable reviews and the relatively low price for a 2 room suite in downtown Vancouver.

My experience with the hotel was unfortunately mixed. Location wise, I have no complaints although there is not very much in the immediate vicinity except for a 7-Eleven outlet, and a nice but perhaps secluded and underrated Chinese restaurant.

Service wise, things could have been improved. At the time of booking, I specifically stated that I wanted two double beds in the 2nd room, and not a queen bed. I categorically told them that they should not accept my booking if they could not guarantee this. They accepted my booking. So I was very disappointed to discover on checking in that I was not given what I wanted. I may sound like I am splitting hairs, but the makeup of my travelling party necessitates two double beds in the 2nd room rather than a Queen bed.

They gave what I consider a lame excuse (the room reserved for me had a leak two days ago which wet the carpets, and the carpets now had a damp odour).

Although I was given the room I wanted on the next day, it was an unnecessary inconvenience for me to pack and unpack for the room transfer. The staff gave the impression that they were doing me a favour by entertaining my request for a room transfer, but they ought in fact to have been highly apologetic about spoiling my stay for the first night.

Breakfast, though complimentary. was spartan. In fact, this was the worst breakfast spread of any hotel that I have ever stayed in. Do not go to this hotel if a hearty breakfast is important to you!!

Furniture and fittings in the room looked like they are due for an upgrade. Housekeeping was quite average, Although they did vacumn the carpets, they missed several obvious areas that ought to be cleaned. Housekepping items and trash bags were left along the hotel's narrow corridors, and this gave a cheap feel to the hotel.

I would probably not stay at the Landis again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 22, 2008

We recently stayed at the Landis for 2 days before we took off on our Fourth of July Cruise. We had a 2 bedroom suite for my family of four. My husband and I enjoyed the very large king size bedroom and attached bathroom. My mother and mother-in-law shared the second room that had 2 very comfortable twin size beds and had their own seperate bathroom. The kitchen was very well stock full of appliances, the coffeemaker and toaster were a plus along with needed dishes to enjoy the compliamentary breakfast that was served downstairs that I brought upstairs for my family. The price was wonderful for this suite, we would have spent twice as much money getting the same conviences booking 2 rooms at another hotel.

Hotel staff were very welcoming and provided information on the area and local eateries within walking distant. Leaving a note for room attendents in the morning provided for extra towels and coffee fixings without any problems and rooms were made up daily very nicely.

A benefit of this hotel is the free shuttle service that is available to take you anywhere in the downtown area. We were able to arrange call times for the shuttle in the morning and they were ready to go at our scheduled time. This saved on money for cabs to take us to Stanley Park one day and then to our Cruise departure pier another day. The drivers are real friendly and give you an overview of the area and it's history (not to mention discount tickets to attractions).

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone and would not think twice to book again if ever in the area.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Eeyoreblues
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Our family of four stayed at this hotel for 10 nights in June. We were very pleased to get a whole suite (2 bedrooms, living room, dining room and a kitchen) for the same price that we are used to pay for just one hotel room. It was really good to be able to spread out, since we stayed at the hotel for such a long time. It was also a big bonus to have a breakfast included in the suite price.
The staff was friendly and helpful, and the hotel was clean enough. One of the best aspects of this hotel is it's location. It's close to Granville Island, English Bay, Robson Square, GM Place and B.C. Place. Stanley Park is within a walking distance too, but one can always take the advantage of the hotel's free shuttle service to save feet for exploring the park. There are plenty of shops and restaurants, and a movie theatre, just a few blocks from the hotel.
We will definitely stay at Landis again, if we'll be lucky enough to be able to travel to Vancouver again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Juusto
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed at the Landis for 2 nights prior to a tour and 2 nights on our return to Vancouver. During our absence of 23 days Our excess luggage was safely stored. We were travelling with our friends, so a two bedroom apartment was extremely good value and gave us room to sit and chat after a big day. The rooms were spacious and clean. On our arrival at the end of our tour, there was no record of our booking. We were upgraded to a deluxe room and able to check in immediately. It was only 10 am, so we were thrilled to be able to leave our luggage in the room and hit the sights. The complimentary breakfast and internet was a bonus. Khaled was always helpful and accommodating. We found the area around the hotel a little "alternative", but always felt safe. I would definately stay there again if I was to return to Vancouver.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank pacesetter
Reviewed June 2, 2008

As a group of 3 comprising a married couple and single friend, we were looking for somewhere we could stay together but still have plenty of own space. This was an excellent choice. The deluxe suite was large and comfortable and well equipped. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially the manager. Location was good, with everything within walking distance and a shuttle bus was provided by the hotel when we didn't want to walk. We liked it so much during the week we had pre-booked that after spending some time travelling further afield we returned to the Landis for the last few days of our holiday.

• Stayed: May 2008