“GOOD VALUE”

Robsonstrasse Hotel & Suites
Ranked #87 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed 3 nights and were glad we did. Staff were extremely helpful and nice.The manager was a real gentleman and nothing was too much trouble. Room was clean and comfortable if a little in need of renovation. In window AC was a bit noisy but it kept the room nice and cool for sleeping. Just what I would expect for the price.The key here being value and thats what you get. Location cant be beat for this wonderful walking city.
We asked and got a room away from the street as Robson can get a bit lively on a summers night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 14, 2011

I booked a room, two months in advance, at Robsonstrasse Hotel & Suites (using the reservation tool on their website) ... 7 days before my arrival, their system has cancelled my reservation !!!
They argued that I had made a mistake with my credit card number. Even if true, how could I know ?... I received a confirmation from them after my booking !

5 days, 2 long distance calls and 10 emails later, they were still unable to solve that problem. So, I had to book somewhere else in 2 days notice...At a time when, among other things, a Conference of 8000 participants and a Stanley Cup finals were held in town - I was very close to do camping in Stanley Park!

They did not offer me another room.
They did not offer me compensation.
They did not even apologize for the inconvenience.

My advice: Do not trust them, book another hotel

Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
9  Thank Mme_Leduc
Reviewed February 20, 2011

The hotel is in a good location, however all the places on Robson street seem to close fairly early. The hotel were particular with what you cooked which was explained to us when we moved in, however we werent aware how particular the management would be. The cooker in the room didnt have an extractor fan and therefore anything being cooked on the hob, in the oven or in the toaster would set off the smoke alarm on a near daily basis.
We were recommended the only way round this would be to open all the windows and switch the air conditioner on full blast, which in mid january is not ideal in your pyjamas!

While most of the staff were friendly and helpful, the old woman who works there (although we're not sure as we were told various stories of her role in this hotel by herself) really let this hotel down. On various occasions she was rude and said inappropriate and offensive(at times) statements. One such story was that her husband had died and the manager made her work all the hours he could, however about a week later she then told us that her and her husband ran this hotel as well as the hotel over the road. pretty impressive for a dead person! And another was discussing inappropriate 9/11 views which I found shocking and offensive.
Other than this it was a good place to stay for the month we spent in Vancouver.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stunew15
robsonstrasse, General Manager at Robsonstrasse Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2011

I have read the review. I appreciate these guests had varied feedback and I would like to respond appropriately and accordingly with impartiality I had met these guests during their stay here at the hotel.
These guests were extended stay guests for 1 month period and they required cooking facilities. The unit these guests stayed in was a bachelor /studio and has an exposed kitchen, which does not require a fun hood.
Our standard policy is to advise all extended stay guests to open their room windows when preparing and cooking foods, particularly when using heavy laden spices.
We provide a Non-Smoking Hotel and provide NON-SMOKING rooms only . These guests were chronic smokers and even though, they smoked outside the building, the room has a built in sensitized cigarette smoke dictator and is only triggered when cigarette smoke is detected, which may explain why it constantly went off. We advised the guest that smoking is not permitted in the room - they assured us that they were not smoking in the room or the building.
A staff clerk may have advised them to turn the A/C re-circulating fan on during food preparation.

The mention of the "Old Lady" the Guest refer to, is Rosaria, one of the oldest, most respected, most valued, housekeeper. I hight doubt this housekeeper would say anything, I am not sure the purpose of the personal attack against Rosaria , but possibly , ccording, to Rosaria, her report filed to the Front Desk , she had reported that these guests had violated the Non-smoking policy and another incident sighted these Guests coming into the hotel at 3 am drunk and smoking. Rosaria stopped them at the elevator and ask them to put the cigarette out immediately and Rosaria would not let them enter the elevator until they put the cigarette out and discarded in the waste bin.
We strive to provide the best possible service to all our guests, while trying to maintain our policy standards. It is understandable that certain people do get offended by our policy, however,these guests do sign a contract which states our policy and we communicate our policy verbally prior to check-in time.
We will always continue to provide the best possible service to all our guests. What makes us so unique, is our ability to maintain and adhere our policy standards.
I appreciate the opportunity to respond in kind
Best Regards
Ashif
GM

Reviewed December 16, 2010

I have become a permanent fixture for this hotel and, though, I do not get to come out this way very often I always choose to stay at the Robsonstrasse. They have been nothing but amazing to me; the manager and all of the staff. I would not stay in any other hotel now that I've come to know the wonderful staff of this establishment and that's why it pains me to see all these horrible reviews geared towards this nice, but older, hotel.
People are so horribly vindictive when they do not get their way and or have been caught with their proverbial pants down.
I have felt nothing but safe and secure at the Robsonstrasse for any and all of my previous stays and every time I return they take excellent care of me to the best of their abilities. Now I understand everyone wants a five star treatment, but it is easy to understand that as a boutique styled hotel, that is in no way apart of some massive chain, they are limited in what they CAN do for their guests. However, they always make up for it with their clean, affordable rooms (if a little on the older side), upgrades for return guests (if they so desire) and a friendly atmosphere. Even their new day clerks gave their best in trying to assist me with restaurants to dine at and a few other sights I had not seen or even thought of to check.
Like I have mentioned in my other postings to this site; I will always return for a stay at the Robsonstrasse.
Thank you so much for, yet another, wonderful stay.
Do take care and I hope to be back again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank PrairieGrrrl
Reviewed December 3, 2010

The room is cold even when you maximize the heater and the room service is so irregular and irresponsible!
The gym equipment are half broken!
The laundry is too expensive, $4 for washing and $4 for drying!
The hotel manager is an impolite person, so don't get shocked if you find him talking to you rudely (he is absolutely uncultured!). Be careful he will look for fake damages in the room to take away money from your deposit when you check out!
The room's view sucks!
The room and parking keys are not working properly due to its magnetic failure, You'll need to ask the front desk to recharge them almost everyday, and you may get stuck entering the parking sometimes which is really annoying!
Some rooms have a stove but they have no hood, so even if you cook lightly the smell will go around, and opening the windows wont help!

As a friendly advice, try other hotels nearby if you respect your privacy and comfort!

• Stayed: November 2010
3  Thank Traveler101021
robsonstrasse, Manager at Robsonstrasse Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2010

I have read this review and let me provide some clarification on this guest complaint. The registered guest wanted a monthly accommodation for his parents coming from Iran. The son was advised of all the rules and regulations regarding long term stays. We specifically cater to guests that have have allergen related medical issues. The son came in to view the Suite, a month in advance and was informed that certain types of food preparation and smoking were NOT permitted in the building and rooms I personally suggested an alternated hotel if that be the case. He liked the viewed room and agreed that his parents would abide to the rules and regulations. Immediately after checking into room parents starting cooking heavy spicy laden food that emitted a heavy "foul smelling odor" that offended many of our exiting guests on that floor. The family was told that they were to open the window and minimize the type of spices they used in preparation of food. They agreed, but continued to cook in the original manner. The son was informed when he visited the parents in the evening for dinner. He was an attending university student and agreed that he would make sure the parents would respect the rules as agreed upon. Unfortunately, they ignored rules altogether. I was spoke with the son repeatedly and not much came of it. I believe,the son had little influence on the parents action , the parents were very traditional minded in their mannerism and as such they were accustomed to their traditional way of preparing their meals. Furthermore, since the son was a university student I believe the parents wanted to provide the son with a traditional home cooked meal everyday during his daily 5pm visit.
I told the son please at least inform your parents to open the windows during the preparation and cooking .
At the end of the month the parents were ready to check out. When I viewed the room with the son it was really messy with "yellow greasy food coloring stains on all the kitchen appliances and all the furniture. The carpet had food dropping everywhere.
There was garbage bags stacked under the sink cabinet The parents were supposed to bring their daily garbage to the bin located downstairs in the garage, which they never did. The housekeeping maid brought it down on their maid service days .This compounded the smell The son was informed that he would loose a substantial portion of his security deposit as a result. We found a cigarette lighter and burnt incense sticks everywhere that further compounded the smell issue.
It took the maintenance/housekeeping dept 3 days in total to clean this entire room. They had to wash all the walls with enzymatic organic chemicals, shampoo the carpet, dry clean all the fabrics and ozone the room as a final precaution remedy.
Our hotel specializes in room for people who suffer from airborne allergens, such as smoke smell hay fever, perfumes, or aerosols. Our existing guests on the floor were very thankful that the parents in that room had checked out. We had to offer a future complementary discount voucher to all the guests on that floor that had to deal with the smell ordeal for the entire month.
We strive to provide a unique service to all our specialty guests and will continue to do so in the future. Our policies are strictly adhered to and admired by many who have stayed with and complimented us for mandating such a policy.
Ashif
GM

Reviewed September 3, 2010

As usual the Robsonstrasse and it's happy staff never disappoint me. My sister and I decided to travel out to the wonderfully green city of Vancouver once again and as is the norm for me now we stayed at the Robsonstrasse. We were greeted with warm smiles from the ever helpful staff who upgraded us to a larger suit (for the same price) just, because I am a return guest.
I never get this treatment at any of the other hotels I stay at. If I upgrade at any other hotel I have been charged applicably for it....not much, but still charged none the less.

I was pleasantly shocked when I arrived at the hotel this time around as they have apparently given the building a bit of a make-over. A whole new coat of paint (nice and bright) and a brand new sign (time and all included). Not only that, but even the rooms have been renewed and are even better than my last stay. The beds have spring, the appliances are shiny and new and there is now free WiFi!
All this and the wonderful staff just added up to a superb stay!

I shall return again.
They will never be rid of me. :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Possibly the worst hotel in terms of value that I have ever been to. The lobby hadn't been vacuumed in well over a week, there were piles junk everywhere (I have the pictures to prove it) and our two room suite only had one window unit air conditioner. I had to sleep on the floor in the room with the air conditioner because the other room was so hot. I've stayed in better hotels for $50 a night, let alone the $239 they charged us. We left after one night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family