“try to stay in the main house”
Review of O Canada House

O Canada House
Ranked #3 of 56 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I stayed at O Canada House for 2 nights in April. It's in a very central location to lots of shopping, and restaurants as long as you don't mind walking a few blocks. There are 2 or 3 parking spots if you're driving, which is great considering most nearby hotels charge $30/night to park (and I'm sure plenty of B&B's do too) - the parking situation in this neighborhood is obviously tight.

First, I have to say that the breakfasts were absolutely delicious. Best breakast I've had at any B&B I've stayed in (and I've probably stayed in about 20+!). They made a delicious savory ricotta crepe with sausage one morning, and they start you off with some juice, coffee, tea or what have you, plus a cup of yogurt and granola. There's food all over the place, too, which is great - little dishes of candy, and even a 24/7 guest pantry if you want some freshly-baked cookies or biscotti, chips, tea, coffee, cereal or all kinds of other stuff. I wish every B&B had something like this.

The B&B is in a historic home where one version of "O Canada" was written, hence the name. The house is so cool! It's got a huge sitting room in the front, guest rooms upstairs, and a separate small studio in the back where the cottage room is located. This is where I stayed. Really the only problem with my stay was the room, which when you think about it (you're sleeping there 8 hours/night!) is not exactly minor. It can get pretty loud at night around here on Friday/Saturday nights when people are headed to/from the bars, and you can hear quite a bit through the thin walls. The cottage was clearly a renovated garage (maybe even an old carriage house) and whoever did the reno didn't do the best job at sound-proofing. Since "bed" is one half of the bed & breakfast equation, I had to take a couple of stars off for the room, even though the food was great and our host was amazingly nice and helpful.

The cottage room could do with an update - it looks like it's been the same since the 80's, I'd say. The bathroom is small and cramped, the door doesn't shut all the way, there are spider webs everywhere. The bed was comfortable enough, but the only source of heat is from the gas fireplace - easy enough to turn off and on, but there's no good way to keep the room at a decent temperature. It's either freezing colder after a little while because you've turned the thing off, or boiling hot because it's on. The only way to get a decent room temperature is to turn it up, wait for it to get boiling hot, and turn it back off again.

There are some cupboards in the room, but no real closet to speak of - it's that white, plasticky-looking manufactured wood material, and half of the cupboard doors didn't shut properly (the one with the mini fridge in it was the worst). We also found out that in one cupboard was a sliding panel in the side of the building that went directly to the outside, which was poorly ventilated and letting a great breezy draft into the room. Brrr!

One night of our stay, it sounded like a bum had set up shop on the other side of our wall - there was lots of clanging of metal as if they were rummaging around in the dumpster outside, and some talking/yelling. I didn't really want to go outside and confront some random person on the street in the wee hours of the night, so I tried to ignore it, but it went on for some time. I also knew that the B&B was full that night, so it's not like we'd be able to move our room to something quieter. I suppose the police could have been called, but ... well, hindsight is 20/20, eh? I was just glad the courtyard was fenced in so this guy wouldn't come around banging on the flimsy front door to our room or something (your imagination runs wild when you're sitting in bed trying to get some sleep) but the gate doesn't latch very well, so then again that could very well be a plausible scenario.

I would stay here again, but not in the cottage room, and I would suggest to the B&B owner that the cottage get a nice little update with better soundproofing, an updated bath, and more reliable heating. Patch up that strange hole in the outside wall, get a more sturdy door to the room, and reap the benefits of many return visits from your guests.

Room Tip: don't pick the cottage :)
2  Thank Stephanie E

Reviewed May 3, 2011

My adult daughter and I spent five wonderful nights in Vancouver"s historic Ocanada House. We stayed in the East Suite which had a super comfy king size bed. The inn is tastefully decorated with little touches that made our stay so special.....sherry in the living room, a well stocked pantry available at all hours and sumptuous breakfasts cheerfully served. The inn is within walking distance of downtown shopping, Stanley Park ,Granville Island and nearby restaurants. Although close to downtown, the inn was situated on a quiet street which provided a restful sleep. For those who love the B and B experience, this one is not to be missed.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We looooooooooved it at this bed and breakfast. Suzanne and Flora were so friendly and helpful, we felt completely welcomed and looked after. Just lovely, down to earth, outgoing women with a great sense of humour - we felt like we were laughing through our whole stay! Cheryl is an absolute revelation in the kitchen. We were so spoiled, between the most wonderful breakfasts, a stocked little fridge full of drinks, fresh fruit and sweet cakes and biscuits on bench available all day, varieties of tea/coffee/hot choc. Seriously, you could NOT lose weight staying in this place ;) For those who are into it, there's sherry in the lounge area too.

The free wifi was a nice touch, it makes such a difference to me as I make room for a laptop in a small backpack, so if there's no free wifi I cry a bit inside when I get to a b&b.

The rooms are beautiful, and the bed was incredibly comfy. We slept so well. We stayed in the master bedroom for two nights, and our parents stayed in two of the upstairs rooms, and everyone was very impressed.

We loved our stay so much, we booked in and stayed there again on our way back through to the US. This time they were full so Suzanne offered us the room downstairs, which was so cute and spacious. The ceiling was pretty low for my partner (not an issue for me, i'm short!) but we had plenty of warning about it from suzanne and it was a source of laughter instead of irritation. We were getting the room very affordably - about the same price as a private room at a backpackers. And no shared bathroom! Again, a super comfy bed too. If you're considering a backpackers in vancouver, consider this instead. Definitely a great option for a more budget stay - believe me, between the comfy bed, the private mini bathroom, the incredible breakfast and the lovely lovely people, staying downstairs was still an incredibly nice experience.

This was one of the best places I've stayed on any trip I've done, and I can't wait to come back again. Thanks again to Suzanne and Flora and Cheryl, you guys are awesome :D

Reviewed April 25, 2011

We have just spent the most enjoyable 4 days at O Canada House! It has the feeling of visiting old friends. The rooms are beautiful, the breakfasts are not only delicious but eye appealing (and filling!), the beds comfortable and it is within walking distance to Stanley Park, Granville Island, Robson St. and the Hop On Hop Off Trolley pick up is only a short walk. Safe, clean, comfortable and not enough can be said for the staff! We will be back.

Room Tip: The Penthouse is large, has 2 king sized beds.
Reviewed April 24, 2011

This trip was my second one to Vancouver in 8 months. I previously had stayed in North Vancouver simply out of curiosity but this time wanted to be in the city within walking distance of the Convention Centre. I like to stay in B & B's when I go to meetings rather than the major hotels. I chose OCH out of several that looked acceptable on the Internet. Reservations were easy, and the staff was very responsive to requests and questions. It is reasonable to take the Skytrain from the airport (I'm a little cheap) though not all may wish to roll their luggage from the Canada Line Vancouver City Centre station to the House like I did.

The House is inconspicuously (read: a bit hard to find on foot) nestled among apartment buildings on a quiet street only two blocks from much busier, shop-heavy Robson Street. Within a block or two are a large YMCA, nice movie Cineplex, and bustling grocer with deli. It is about a 15-minute straight-shot walk to the Waterfront and Convention Centre. I received a thorough tour of the House on arrival. I occupied the South Suite which is perfect for a single person but would require patience for a couple (especially the bathroom). The living room was cozy and a great place to warm the feet by the fire after a cold, rainy walk. It also seemed particularly conducive to striking up conversations with other guests (from Australia and Belgium during my stay!).

Unfortunately, because of the timing of my convention, I was unable to attend breakfast in the lovely dining room or afternoon sherry. Even so, there were always homemade goodies to carry such as cinnamon rolls (excellent!) and cookies. Fresh fruit and soft drinks were available at all times and could be stored in the small refrigerator in the room. The staff does not stay at night, but at no time did I feel unsafe or put out by this.

In summary, I feel that O Canada House is a great choice whether you are self sufficient or "high maintenance".

Room Tip: Ask ahead for room without feathers, if needed.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank timinorlando
Reviewed April 24, 2011

What a great place! We were the only guests on our first night and were given a complementary upgrade - very nice. Met by Chris and shown the layout - access to the kitchen, laundry, lounge etc. In fact, there were fresh-baked muffins and cakes for guests to help themselves. Breakfast was fantastic, made fresh, served by very friendly staff and certainly enough to keep us going for most of the day. Vancouver was overcast, raining and pretty cold, but the central location of "Oh Canada" meant we could be in and out as the weather dictated without too much trouble.
Really enjoyed ourselves and have no hesitation in highly recommending this to anyone visiting Vancouver.

Reviewed April 4, 2011

Great accomodations in a historic setting. Spacious rooms, very well appointed. Walking distance to downtown attractions, yet on a quiet street, lined with cherry trees. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: March 2011