“Deceived by HI website”

Hostelling International Vancouver Downtown
Montreal, Canada
“Deceived by HI website”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

If you watch the video featured on the HI website, they tell you about a safe place... Not in my room. I got a private room, but it has a communicating toilet with another room. The sliding door is held by a tiny latch that could easily be undone with a pen or if you pulled hard on the door. Private rooms don't have lockers, nor is there another designated area. However luggage can be left at the reception which is inconvenient. Second pictures on the HI website show a hip and clean place. In reality, the hostel is not very clean. I was told the men's shower was scummy. All shared spaces are loaded with finger prints. Loaded! The hostel also has an unpleasant smell. The U shape of the building makes many room over look a nice patio, but also makes it super noisy. Doors bang hard when they close. The front desk gives away free ear plugs. Breakfast is decent. Staff is the the friendliest, but they get things done.

Room Tip: Bring every toiletry supply needed as the hostel only offers towels. However items may be purchased...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissForv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Eureka, California
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was my third stay at this hostel and it never disappoints. The rooms (4 bed dorms) are tiny but if you are like me, you don't need much space.
I spend all day outside and only need the room to sleep and store my luggage.
The showers are clean. The breakfast is free and there's enough variety for everyone, unless you are on a special diet like lowcarb, glutenfree ...

The only downside is that the rooms get really stuffy. There's only a tiny part of the window that will open. I heard that some rooms come with a fan. Mine never had one. If you can't sleep in a hot room, make sure you get a fan.

In short: if all you need is clean sheets, a shower and breakfast then this hostel is for you. :)

The staff was really friendly, the area where the hostel is located is quiet but only a block away from Davie Street where there's lots of action.
You can walk pretty much anyhwere from here.

Room Tip: Ask for a fan!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Poole, Dorset
Reviewed July 29, 2013

First off, I made an error by not booking a room in advance and expecting to walk into a hostel on a Friday night and just get one. However, this hostel had beds available. The catch, they were in co-ed dorm rooms. Now I had finished my tour around Canada and was due to fly home the next day, I just needed a bed for a night, I'm not exaggerating when I say every hostel in the area was booked up. I was told by the HI Central that HI Downtown had beds available so I walked over to investigate. They did have beds available (happy days), however because they were in the co-ed rooms and I was not part of a couple, I couldn't have one (not so happy days).

I had stayed in plenty of hostels on my trip as a solo traveller sharing a room with other girls. Why should this hostel be any different? What do they think I'm going to do to the girls in the room that I would be sharing with!? I thought this was so poor. Luckily I was able to book into a hotel at the last minute but this is at triple the cost at the end of my tour when I have hardly any money left. Not trying to sound over dramatic but if there were no hotels available or I only had enough money to stay in a hostel...I was potentially spending the night on the streets.

Like I said, I hadn't booked in advance so partly my fault but I think it is ridiculous that there are beds available somewhere but you can't have them.

Overall it is a shame because I haven't had any problems with HI hostels before but this has changed my opinion of them. I would look at other hostels first from now on.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Spend 2 nights ther with mom and aunt it was really a nice quiet place really friendly.
Close to the beach and transports. And close to nice places to hang out...
People working there are really nice and helpful for everything

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here the fall of 2009 and loved it, the weather in Vancouver was still incredible and This hostel was next to none, my first hostel experience and I was abit aprehensive at first but after my stay here I have gone onto many other hostels and I can say this is one of the nicest Hostels I have stayed at in my time, Great location to everywhere you need to go and I met alot of amazing people here, also the breakfast is not to be missed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I had a great stay at this hostel. To be fair i wasnt really looking to 'mingle' with others all that much as i was travelling with a friend but at one of the burger nights on the rooftop i met heaps of lovely people who were up for a chat.

The free breakfast was the same as all HI's, bagels, toast, juice etc.
the best bit of this hostel is the location. Maybe vancouver is a safe place in general, but this was great. My friend and i (two young girls) walked home at night in the dark and didnt feel uneasy once. Infact, people we passed actually said hello! This location is close to english bay beach and davie street. Davie street is awesome and has heaps of bars and restaurants and interesting characters. We also walked about 30 mins to granville island which was great, and maybe about 30 mins to canada square for the fireworks on canada day.

The rooms here are nothing flash, but that doesnt bother me. They were clean and close to the bathrooms which werent super clean, but perfectly acceptable.

Staff were happy to help and good for a chat.
I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Ajk91
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I wont pretend that i am used to staying in hostels around the world but out of the 3 i have stayed in around the world, this blows them all out of the water.

They offer private rooms which is great, very good breakfast, muffins, bagels, toast, fruit and cereal and free coffee!

The décor is very dated as i don't think its been renovated since it used to be a hotel. The one thing that really got to me was the odd smell as soon as we came out of our room, the odour wasn't there in the room however.

Overall good experience and definitely recommend this to people visiting Downtown!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor, all private rooms are on the same floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple