“Best bed I've ever slept in!”
Review of English Bay Inn

English Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Best bed I've ever slept in!”
Reviewed October 16, 2006

What a marvelous place to stay! Great location, just two blocks from the Bay and also two blocks from wonderful restaurants. The west end has an amazing variety of great places to eat: African and Maylasian among them. As a single woman, I'd say that it's a safe neighborhood to walk in at night. My room faced a lovely garden and was very quiet: I rarely heard the other guests. The bed had a featherbed on top of the mattress -- it was so comfortable I want to buy one for myself. Breakfast was always delicious: hot scones with butter and sliced fruit every day, plus a variable meal, including crab & rice wraps one day, quiche another day. There's also sherry and port by the fireplace. Helen and Boban were terrific: at one point, during breakfast by the fireplace, I pretended that this was my house and they were there just to take care of me! What a lovely fantasy! I really enjoyed my stay, and would definitely stay here again, and I would recommend it to my friends.

• Liked — Extremely comfortable bed
  • Disliked — You have to be sociable to enjoy a bed and breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — You can get great rates in the "shoulder" season, fall and spring. Also, try Bard on the Beach for great theatre at reasonable rates.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
8 Thank DCKathy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Salisbury, England
Reviewed October 13, 2006

Ideally situated for English Bay, Stanley Park and a variety of restaurants in Denman Street and surrounding area. Easy access to bus routes or a 20 minute stroll to the centre of Downtown. The accommodation was very comfortable and furnished with antiques even complementary sherry and port were included. Our downstairs suite was ideal with plenty of room and all we needed, plus being quiet. It was a particular joy meeting other guests sat round the large dining table for a sumptuous breakfast each morning. Our host, the owner, made us particularly welcome, making our 4 day stay extremely enjoyable.

• Liked — Location and comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — None
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Henry60
Mountain View, CA
Reviewed October 7, 2006

We were well looked after. Boban and Alan were very friendly and helpful with our questions. The room we stayed in was very clean and breakfast quite tasty.

The Inn was well located - very close to Stanley park and in reasonable walking distance to downtown. We went to some amazing restaurants just a couple blocks away.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ActivatE
Honolulu
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Owner Boban greeted us and very efficiently pointed out areas of interest on a map, discussed walking distances, recommended restaurants, etc. Very quiet yet 2 blocks from Stanley Park for outdoorsy things and 2 blocks the other way from restaurants galore. All breakfasts at the inn were hot and delicious and accomodating personal preferences. Hosts were very friendly and helped with everything needed. Rooms were charming, clean, quiet, well-ventilated and had everything you could possibly need. We would definitely return to English Bay Inn!!!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006
5 Thank taichisir
Surey England
Reviewed September 16, 2006

We arrived at this hotel (which we know offered bed and breakfast only) on the recommendation of my sister in Calgary. Our first impression was that this was the original Gingerbread House from Hansel and Gretel. We were let in by a fellow guest. As we had arrived earlier than expected or booked, we phoned the number we had, and the owner answered, and said he would come in five minutes.

He did. He was Boban, a very intelligent, articulate and amusing man, from Belgrade, who was between managers, and was doing a manager's job during the inter-regnum. It was clear to us he cared about looking after his guests.

From then on, evertything exceeded our expectations. The place is spotlessly clean, thanks to Helen, the maid. The furniture is carefully selected, unsuual, attractive and tasteful in the contect of this this particular house. The rooms we used and the beds were wonderful. The breakfasts were civilised affairs, where we met charming people from Australia, New Zealand, England, Holland, and the USA.

The location is ideal for walking along the Bay, and Stanley Park. Downtown is acccessible by taxi or hired car, or a good walk.

It is not a hotel, so do not expect 24 hour cover (pace the reviewer who forgot his passport), but you will receive a warm welcome and a good, restful stay.

Thank you, Boban and Helen. We have no hesitation in recommending you at the price you charge.

Keith and Joan
Surrey, England

• Liked — The comfort and cleanliness, the cooking, and the welcome.
  • Disliked — Having to leave.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be put off if there is no one to greet you - phone the owner.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KeithHJ
Lafayette, CA
Reviewed August 22, 2006

My wife and I fully agree with all the wonderful things others say about comfort and location. Our personal lack of comfort, though, was due to the absence of anyone on the premises after breakfast. All guests were alone in the house without a manager or staff person present. We had several things come up that promted attempts to reach someone in charge. The afternoon before we left, there being only guests in the house, we called the general number for the B and B and reached an answering machine. No one called back.

The second episode occurred the following morning as we began to leave around 6:30 for the airport. Unfortunately for us, I had left our passports in a drawer in the room. That was a stupid blunder on my part but could have been easily resolved had we been able to get back in the Inn. There being no answer to continuous ringing and knocking at the door, my wife called the general number for English Bay Inn. The breakfast host was on his way but lived forty minutes away and was just leaving.

The story ended well when a very nice, elderly woman responded to the incessant banging on the door - I am quite sure we greatly disturbed every guest in the house - and we managed to make it to the airport with no time to spare and having been given no opportunity to settle the bill .

The Inn itself is beautiful and in a very quiet and ideal location. It may be that the manager was away on a trip for the long weekend, but if so we weren't notified . Quite the contrary. On arrival the manager said he would make any reservations we wished to make at local restaurants and seemed pleased to make our stay as comfotable as possible. The absence of anyone in charge at the Enlish Bay Inn for three days was an inconvenience for us which went witihout comment from the B and B, nor have we received an apologetiic or explanatory phone call or e-mail.

Perhaps our experience is unusual. Had there been someone in charge during our stay, we would have given five stars to the English Bay Inn. In the absence of that deficiency, we would gladly recommend the Inn.

• Liked — The location was ideal and the Inn is exceedingly comfortable
  • Disliked — absence of an owner, manager or any person in charge on the premises except at breakfast
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank James.L.Berry
Boban_v, Manager at English Bay Inn, responded to this review, August 27, 2006
I was sorry to see negative review on the Trip Advisor. I realize it must have been a hectic morning for the guests, and it’s never good to end a vacation with a problem. However, I would like to clear a few things up. This is a Bed and Breakfast, we are not a hotel with a 24 hr concierge. Upon check in, it was explained that the owner is away for three days (in my knowledge this is the first day off he had in a year) and someone would be at the B&B until mid-afternoon. Every day I was working until approx 3:30 pm, (almost a ten hour day), and am available for a number of guests making reservations, and answering questions about Vancouver etc. Our maid is there until 4:30 pm. We are in the business of providing excellent service to our guests, and in order to do this, communication on both sides is required. If anybody had told me the day before that the guest had a very early flight, and would not be staying for breakfast etc, I could have come to the Inn earlier. Guests did leave a message the previous day on our answering machine but it was around midnight. Most of B&Bs in the area do not answer phones after 7:00 pm. I kept the line open until 10:00 pm and when the owner is in, he holds the phone for 24 hours. Leaving passports and not being able to get in was something that has nothing to do with our service. This is a shame that guest based a negative review on something he had done. If they did not forget the passport we would not get this review. For the comfort of our customers, the doorbells are automatically disengaged for a set period in the evening/early morning. It was fortunate that they were able to rouse someone, but once again, this is not our responsibility, if the guest forgets something in the room, especially if we do not even know that guests are leaving. I bent over backward to please the guests and consider this review unfair and undeserved.
abbotsford
Reviewed August 21, 2006

My grandmother use to live on comox street and i remember, as i kid, passing by the english bay house and wondering what it would be like to live there.. now that im all grown up, i can now say that its more enchanting than i originally thought.. i have fallen in love with this house even more.. the elegant charm and antique characteristics.. each room has its own unique beauty and i found it amazing...

the food.. absolutely amazing.. the scones were to dye for.. they far exceeded my expectations.. breakfast was extremely enjoyable and the staff was wonderful.. so helpful with questions but most importantly genuinly friendly..

if your not too full after breakfast might i recommend a game of chess.. definately made me feel as though i was on vacation yet still relaxing at home..

i would highly recommend this bed and breakfast.. as a local looking for a get away it was the perfect location.. quiet and relaxing, close to stanley park and the beach.. yet within walking distance of the city life.. amazing amazing.. thanks guys.. we'll see ya soon..

• Liked — feeling like i was at home
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Tips/Secrets — try this place.. your love it