“Easy going, great value, and superb location”
Review of English Bay Inn

English Bay Inn
Ranked #6 of 53 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Staying at the English Bay Inn was just such a pleasure I can't think of staying anywhere else in Vancouver for future trips. After an arduous period of work I flew into Vancouver for a weekend getaway and effortlessly geared down the minute I walked in the door. Besides the great location in the center of town, in a charming quiet street, the welcoming feeling offered by the staff, the cleanliness of the rooms and the subtle wit and feeling of place created by the interior decor made it all seem like Vancouver was going to be home for a few days. Although I spent most of my time out and about walking or taking the bus to fascinating museums, eating out inexpensively and locally, or just taking in the breathtaking beauty of the mountains and ocean, it all seemed to continue in the character of my room. In what was a very comfortable bed I fell asleep replete with the ocean and the sun and woke up cradled by the sea air coming through my window, only to be offered the best breakfast I've ever had at a B & B: and I travel a lot.

With sincere courtesy the proprietor offered me his first name when I was greeted and that was followed by efficiency and service combining professionalism and an easy-going reasonableness. Any questions I had about how to get to places, what were the good local places to eat, or just about Vancouver itself were met with clear, specific and knowledgeable answers.

I think whatever questionable comments concerning the interior decor can be answered by saying that it exemplifies perhaps what a Vancouver home owned by a prosperous European immigrant in the early part of the twentieth century might have in the house: statuettes, paintings, and furniture that had the feel of a European past, memories, but would have easily been transported over a long distance so not of great monetary value. Actually as a PhD student in Art History, the decor offered me an agreeable diversion thinking about what early immigrants to Vancouver might have chosen to hold on to from their past, while making their way in a new place.

I would recommend to anyone I know, especially from Europe or the United States, to stay at the English Bay Inn and not even give a thought to whether or not it is value for money. It just is value for money.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for English Bay Inn

Reviewed August 30, 2009

Our visit was terrific: location, personal attention, and charming decor. Never have we spent as much time lingering at breakfast due to the interesting conversations with Greg and other guests. This is facilitated by being seated at a large dinning room table as opposed to individual seating.
Greg accommodated our schedule with breakfast timing, food choice and help in suggesting activities and transportation. His warmth and friendliness enhanced our visit.
The only suggestion would be to freshen the paint and carpet.
We cannot stress enough the great location of the Inn. The park, beach, and Denman Street full of restaurants and public transportation lines are all at your doorstep.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I loved staying at this B&B. The owner cooked our breakfast to order each morning and was a wonderful source of information when we all asked about places we should see, and how to get to them. We lingered over breakfast, the food and conversation were so good. Quiet, safe, peaceful location in a residential neighborhood but so close to the beach, the huge park, public transportation which was safe and efficient - I used it every day. The rooms were comfortable, with everything we needed. Mine would have been too small for 2 people, but for solo travelers was just right. When I left I was already planning my return visit to this same place!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We celebrated our 15th anniversary at the English Bay Inn. The host Greg took great care to make our stay comfortable and provided valuable information about area dining and entertainment options, and were given a map of the city. The breakfasts were tasty and timed just right. We were able to enjoy a morning run in nearby Stanley Park and return to a fireside breakfast of fresh fruit and a seafood omelet. After breakfast guests were treated to a bottomless cup of coffee/tea and continued conversation. We can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2009

...once you get closer, the wrinkles, cracks and crevices appear.

I've waited a bit to write this review as I wanted some time to think about whether or not my initial feelings were correct. But since they haven't changed, here goes. This is the first time I've been disappointed by TripAdvisor reviews. This place is simply overpriced for what is offered so I cannot in good faith, recommend it to others unless they know what they are getting into.

First of all, can someone tell me who is the mysterious Greg??

Secondly, I read the multitude of positive reviews, saw the photos and was stunned by how beautiful everything was; couldn't wait to get there. The outside is lovely but when we walked in, the musty smell hit us full on. The rooms are small (we knew this and are ok with smaller, European sized rooms) but the sliding glass doors in the tub were water-rusted, the bathroom window sashes were completely filled with mold spots, the side bedroom wall had a big scrape from one of the side chairs, there was a gash in the carpet and a layer of dust to complete the ensemble. If the price/room was lowered to say, $110/night, then I would been more accepting and philosophically shrugged it off. Breakfast was passable. Yeah, this is just a place to sleep but for $169/night and a fabulous set of reviews and photos, I expected much more.

To be fair, the dining room is quite lovely and the chintz decorations plus painting encrusted walls were nice to see. If you are looking for an excellent location near the walkways, Stanley Park and Denman Street (has fabulous choices in restaurants; I recommend Kingyo and Banana Leaf, followed by a dessert run to Cupcakes), this is the place. There is also parking - 3 spots around in the back.

I just wish the place would have done the photos justice.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Scree
Reviewed February 2, 2009

January 2009
Vancouver, B.C
Written by Annie

My partner and I wanted to be tourists in our hometown. This included choosing a cozy and private Bed and Breakfast in the cosmopolitan West End of Vancouver.
The English Bay Inn, with its lovely antique decor, and charming host Greg, were a delightful find! The service was excellent and the breakfasts sumptuous.
Whether you are a Vancouver resident, or a tourist from afar, we would highly recommend this tasteful abode.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 27, 2008

Its always a daunting task for the independent traveller to choose where to stay during a multi-location trip. Personal tastes, convenient location and budget all play a part in your decision. Get it right, and the rest of your party applaud you, but get it wrong and your holiday could be ruined. Fortunately for me, the English Bay Inn was one of my better decisions. We arrived later than planned to find an envelope with a key inside, and an offer to make ourselves at home. How many hotels would trust you like that ? The EBI is one of a few remaining large houses that were abundant in the West end. It sits between high rise buildings like a rose between thorns. A nice quiet area perfectly located to take advantage of all that Vancouver has to offer. We chose the four poster bed and fell about giggling as we tried to climb into it. Breakfast was a time to meet and chat with other guests from all corners of the globe. As a Yorkshire man, my personal taste in breakfast requires a frying pan, various pork products and eggs,but that wasnt to be. My travel companions appreciated the healthier fruit alternatives though. All in all, a very interesting place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)